Zumba

Options
I tried Zumba for my first time on Friday and it felt weird and I felt outta place in my class. Am I missing something? Whats the whole point of Zumba?

Replies

• RaggedyAnnazon
    RaggedyAnnazon Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    The whole point of Zumba is to essentially burn a whole **** ton (up to 1,000) of calories through a lot of cardio mixed with a few bodyweight exercises (like squats). The ultimate goal is to have fun, and dance! Like you, I do sometimes feel out of place, especially if I can't get the move right. If you can let go of the self consiousness and peer comparison it's a lot of fun and is a really good workout. The class I went to recently had my abs sore the next day. I hope this helps.
  • Starlight_Shine
    Options
    So am I supposed to be flexing muscles while doing zumba?
  • Lizabelle1212
    Lizabelle1212 Posts: 252 Member
    Options

The movements themselves should kind of "force" you to engage your muscles, due to the nature & pace of what you're doing. So, to answer your question, I guess - yes, but not to a point where you're having to focus on flexing in addition to dancing. It will just happen naturally as you move, but you should try to keep your core engaged if you can, as it makes it easier to do some of the moves (like turns & hip movements) & makes them more effective.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    If you do it right, it is great cardio and for many people it is fun. If you do not like it, or simply cannot get in the rhythm after a few lessons and end up just staring and missing half the work, then obviously it is not going to be a great exercise. Especially if you have no experience with aerobics or dance classes, give yourself at least 3-4 lessons to start learning the movements. Focus on the legs to start, add arms when you get the legs right.
  • PrettyInPink140
    PrettyInPink140 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Zumba is amazing! In the beginning yes you may feel out of place or not sure if your doing it "correctly" but as long as your moving, having fun and sweating then your doing fine. Everyone is able to modify moves if need be. Every instructor I've had says to march in place when you get lost with the moves.
  • dogwhisperette
    dogwhisperette Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I understand completely how you feel. I have tried it a couple of times. I felt like I had 5 feet. I did sweat so I knew I got something out of the class. The instructor I had was INSANE and full of energy which was encouraging but didn't help me with my lack of coordination. For the record I was a figure skater and was involved in dancing for many years during my youth so its not like I have none. My personal challenges include learning Zumba and enjoying it and to find a way to make parsnips taste good. I managed the parsnips but yet to deal with the Zumba. I won't give up and will try it again! Add me if you would like? Perhaps we can encourage each other on how to get pass the Zumba challenge. Either way, don't give up! If you walk away feeling like you worked out thats all that matters!
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba tried it 6 yrs ago and thought it was fun but didn't feel like I fit in because I'm so uncoordinated. Fast forward to last July and now I love it It does take several times of going to start to get the moves down. Also some instructors are better than others. I have a few I love (they kick my a** every time) and others I like. I'm still uncoordinated but love going to classes at least twice a week.
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options

Maybe not flexing per se... But the choreography typically requires you to "use" them. Your core should be engaged throughout the workout. My core, calves, and quads are typically what I feel most following a good Zumba workout.

And also, if it helps, I am no where near coordinated. Don't care. Its a fun workout and I'm burning calories.
  • Lucyjeunesse
    Lucyjeunesse Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think it's pretty normal to feel out of place when you start a new gym class, especially one as high energy and requiring coordination like Zumba. I had done a lot of dancing in the past before i started zumba, and didn't get into it for a while. However I've been doing it for about 6 months and have become used to the moves, and able to adjust to make sure I get a good work out.

When new songs/moves are introduced, I just try to keep moving when I don't understand them, because the whole point is to keep active. You eventually pick it up, but some songs can take longer than others.

I have only done zumba in Timor-Leste (where I currently live) so don't know what it's like in other countries, but I love the sense of community and female empowerment it provides. Timorese women normally don't go out at night, so zumba is one of the few opportunities they get to be active and social at night time. There is lots of laughing, women dance like they just don't care, and there are loud 'woops' whenever we shake our hips or do a sexy dance. So much fun!
  • jcafrica
    jcafrica Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It's normal to feel lost and out of place in the beginning. It can also be mentally exhausting because you have to really focus on the instructor's choreography. I recommend attending class with the same instructor for a few weeks and to familiarize yourself with the movements. For someone who does not dance and lacks coordination, I've learned to enjoy Zumba and get a really good workout! Keep with it!
  • RaggedyAnnazon
    RaggedyAnnazon Posts: 183 Member
    Options

The movements themselves should kind of "force" you to engage your muscles, due to the nature & pace of what you're doing. So, to answer your question, I guess - yes, but not to a point where you're having to focus on flexing in addition to dancing. It will just happen naturally as you move, but you should try to keep your core engaged if you can, as it makes it easier to do some of the moves (like turns & hip movements) & makes them more effective.

Agreed! There is one move I did where you put your hands behind your head and kinda...curled? your body in. To do it like the instructor I had to make sure to flex my abdominals, otherwise my torse wouldn't curl.

The idea is just follow the movements, also keep in mind to go at your limit. I have bad knees and a bad hip, so I had to stop moving my legs so much in case something popped.
  • cns94
    cns94 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I would try the classes you're attending a few more times before deciding if you like it or not. When you do the moves remember to keep your core tight & the harder you push yourself or the more into the moves you get the more calories you will burn. I blast about 650-700 calories in an hour. Don't be embarrassed or afraid of messing up, you'll learn the moves pretty quickly & honestly you will have so much more fun if you get into it. My friends used to tease me but now they look at me during class because I know the dances by heart & do them to the fullest. If you find that you don't like these classes after a few weeks, maybe try a new instructor because every instructor will be different.