Starting my New Year's resolution early

Options
Hi everyone,

I am no stranger to calorie counting, having been a member of livestrong for the last four years. But in the last two years, it seems I've just been using the calorie and exercise tracker to mark the rapid climb on the scale. About six years ago I lost about 60 pounds, I was still overweight, but I was happy to out of the obese category. During that time, some days I felt miserable. Others I felt happy. But in a nutshell, I felt more obsessed about my weight when I was smaller. In the last two years, I have regained those 60 pounds. This time in my life, I see myself standing on the other side of two years of struggle-a separation from an abusive spouse, a move from an east coast city to the Midwest and the loss of contact with my stepson who I am very close to. But there has been a recent bright spot--the completion of my PhD in Anthropology after seven years in graduate school. I realize that if I can come through the other side of that, amid all the other struggles in my life, then there is nothing that can stop me from getting to a healthier, happier and more balanced me.

I've given up the treadmill and elliptical. I had a habit of viewing those workouts as a form of punishment and I began to dread working out. So as I start this journey again, I am using a different approach. I am now doing vinyasa and power yoga at home (I'm in love with Jillian Michael's yoga meltdown and yogaworks body slim). I've always loved yoga but felt that because I am so overweight, it wasn't enough bang as far as calories are concerned. But now, I just want to do what I like and the rest will come....

All that to say, I am happy to be at MFP. MFP looks good to me, so far so good. Plus, the android application (LOVE the barcode scanner bit) makes it even easier to track. I hope to find a community of supportive folks to crawl, walk, jog and run along this journey....

Replies

• themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    mfp is an awesome site and I am sure it will help you alot, I too lost alot of weight quite a few yrs ago kept it off for 4 yrs and the gained it all back over time. But since joining mfp I have lost 41lbs. Just stick with it, track your food and exercise. You can do it
  • Mandalola
    Options
    Very new user to the site but finding it very helpful. I lost four stone on a very low cal, low carb diet system like Atkins about 4 years ago and managed to keep most of it off. Slowly 14 pounds have crept back on so I'm here to nip it in the bud before it becomes even more. I'd actually like to lose about 20 lb thus time.

I'm 174 lb and am aiming for around 150 - 154 or a UK size 14 by Valentines Day!

Calorie counting is working for me as I can have treats like a small bit of chocolate!

Hope you stick with it after having a difficult time. It's not easy but worth it in the end like most things!