Exercising in a fasted state

Options
Interesting article. I'm curious what people think. One of the comments questions whether people really burn fat when they exercise in a fasted state, or whether its actually muscle being burned and that is why the fasted group lost weight. Interesting...

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/12/15/phys-ed-the-benefits-of-exercising-before-breakfast/?src=me&ref=health

Replies

• Phatpatty
    Phatpatty Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I always head to the gym before eating --- sometimes I grab an apple or banana, but almost always I don't eat... thanks for sharing this useful information!!!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I always eat breakfast and sometimes lunch (depending on what time I end up going to the gym) before I work out. If I don't I won't have the energy to exercise.
  • Jlln_G1011
    Jlln_G1011 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    i have acid reflux and have been instructed to work out on an empty stomach. it's been a big help.
  • nelsaphine
    nelsaphine Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Interesting article! I first learned this years ago when my husband got a Bowflex, the exercise and diet program recommend this as well. (You'd think that having a Bowflex at home would help me to not be overweight :P )