I broke through my plateau!

Options
So I have been at this for about 5 and a bit weeks. I felt I was doing really well my first three weeks. The weight was steadily dropping off, but then I had a two week period where I lost very little. The scale would just move slightly up and down. Now I hear that these plateaus can happen for a number of reasons and that one should just be patient and continue on, but I was finding it a bit frustrating!

My solution was to buy a digital kitchen scale just to check that my calorie counting was accurate. Well, it turns out that it wasn't! My pieces of chicken breast turned out to be 3 times the calories I was logging, potatoes and such were also way off. I wasn't going over my daily allotment often, but it was really cutting into my deficit!

To make a long story short(ish), I am 5 days into my scale use and with accurate food counting I am going down again! I have dropped 1.5kgs since then! There may be other factors involved, but I feel that the scale is the major contributor.

Just something to think about for anyone going through a difficult patch.

Replies

• jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Congrats! And you make such an important point,,,,, measure, measure, measure.
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    Well that is awesome sir!!! Congratulations!!! I was just saying to my husband that I didn't completely understand what good a kitchen food scale would be...then I did a ton of research on it! You just proved all of the research I did! WTG! :o) I'm going to have to look into this! :o)
  • mariasheehan
    Options
    thank you for posting this, because I've been getting lazy at weighing and I've starting 'guessing' weights which is crazy. This is just what I needed; I'm going to go back to my digital scale. Well done on breaking the plateau, it takes committment to stick through it. :-)
  • CombatVet_Armywife
    CombatVet_Armywife Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I have been stuck for a good 2-3 weeks and it HAS been so frustrating! I haven't stopped eating right & exercising hoping to break through....but perhaps the scale has played a part for me as well. I have one, but I just stopped using it and 'guesstimating' my measurements. Going to bring it back out!! Thanks again!
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    congrats, i suppose i'm gonna have to dig thru my stuff and find that scale that we got packed away
  • ckehoe89
    ckehoe89 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    This is great news. I've also been stuck and my for my birthday my boyfriend promised me a digital nutritional scale. I can't wait to get this going so I can finally see if that will make a difference!
  • bsoxluvr
    bsoxluvr Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I agree about the scale. I love mine because it has really helped me learn what an actual serving looks like. Best $20 I have spend on weight loss so far!
  • shaggy22
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I am really pleased to be learning what real portion sizes are. I have also found that I am able to cook slightly more complex and fun things. Before I wouldn't even try, not knowing how to work out the calories.