meatless chicken strips

So I'm a vegetarian and I use meatless chicken strips in my salad. I want to start adding these to my other meals like pasta and quinoa but they are a strong salty taste. Any suggestions to mask this? I know that meat eaters use chicken in their pasta and rice and I'm just wondering if that's also salty or if you flavor it accordingly?
Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• soupandcookies
    soupandcookies Posts: 212 Member
    I used to love those too, but you are right - SO salty. And when I would add them to pasta and THEN add sauce. Yowsa'. Way too much. It always left me so bloated. I just stopped using that stuff, and I used tofu instead. I have since gone back to meat, so it's not as much of an issue.
  • _MG_
    _MG_ Posts: 453 Member
    Not trying to be a jerk..but how can a chicken strip be meatless? Isn't it hard to be chicken if it's not meat?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Have you tried various brands? I would hope that there would be some differences in seasonings between the brands, and maybe there is one that is less salty?

I'd also try to avoid prepared/jarred sauces since those are usually pretty high in salt, and the last thing you'd want to do is add more salt to the dish. Look into using fresh or dried herbs. Also, don't get the herb mixes unless they specifically say low sodium.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,185 Member
    Real chicken is not very salty. Try a different brand and see if that works, but as a vegetarian I suspect that even though your meatless chicken tastes salty you shouldn't really worry if the rest of your diet constitutes mostly whole foods.
  • jennadelane
    jennadelane Posts: 121 Member
    Last night I had Beyond Meat - Chicken Free Strips (Southwest Style) for the first time. They are kind of expensive but they are the best meat free "chicken" style strips that I have tried. I didn't think they were salty at all, and I'm typically sensitive to that. Maybe try those?
  • curvygirly911
    curvygirly911 Posts: 105 Member
    Not trying to be a jerk..but how can a chicken strip be meatless? Isn't it hard to be chicken if it's not meat?

LOL. I should have clarified. They are "chick'n" which means they are made from chickpeas and soy protein to try and mimic the real stuff. I've never had chicken before so I wouldn't know the difference. I just choose to have these products because they allow me to add protein into my salads.

Thanks for the tips everyone. I will check those brands out