Terrible Headaches After Work Outs..

Options
Hi Pals!

I have been experiencing some really bad head aches after my work out that last all night until I sleep. I've had trouble falling asleep beacuse they have been so intense. The pain starts in the back of my head and feels like it comes right into my eyeball. I have been eating under my calorie limit and have been burning 600+ calories per work out. My theory is maybe I am not eating enough to balance out with my work outs? Does anyone else have this problem or know the solution to help my headaches? I still want to lose the maximum amount of weight so I don't know what my "net calories" should be ...

Replies

• katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I've had that problem before. What worked for me is to eat something light about an hour before working out. I also ended up increasing my total calories eaten for the day (was undereating by quite a bit). How many calories are you currently eating per day and do you know your BMR and TDEE?
  • cmurphy252
    cmurphy252 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    BUMP because I also suffer from terrible headaches after working out . . . .
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Eat what MFP tells you to. Eat back at least half of your exercise calories, if not more. If MFP creates a deficit of 1300 for you and you burn 600 calories, eat at least 1600 calories.

The headaches can be a number of things. Before I started my blood pressure medication, my crazy high BP gave me intense headaches, especially after exercising. But it can also be from not eating enough.
  • jadethief
    jadethief Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough during your workouts? Dehydration can cause headaches.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Yes the headaches could be a few things.

I get headaches during my workout if I don't breath correctly...agonizing spliting headaches...(I lift weights) or if I don't drink enough water/liquids

As well yes depending on your intake and net calories it could be lack of food...

But if none of those apply ask your doctor...headaches that are intense and agonizing are not normal.
  • Ripcode
    Ripcode Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water though out the day before the workout?
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Hi Pals!

I have been experiencing some really bad head aches after my work out that last all night until I sleep. I've had trouble falling asleep beacuse they have been so intense. The pain starts in the back of my head and feels like it comes right into my eyeball. I have been eating under my calorie limit and have been burning 600+ calories per work out. My theory is maybe I am not eating enough to balance out with my work outs? Does anyone else have this problem or know the solution to help my headaches? I still want to lose the maximum amount of weight so I don't know what my "net calories" should be ...
    Eat more Carbs.. I mean really eat 20grams of carbs and get something like you are describing..
    after I would eat 100 grams of carbs, I would no longer get those head aches..
  • Rottnme
    Rottnme Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough during your workouts? Dehydration can cause headaches.

^^^ you beat me to it. Food and hydration were my first thoughts. For me, typically lack of food leads to the spins and improper hydration leads to headaches. Your body is trying to tell you something, you just need to learn what it is exactly.
  • toningtia
    toningtia Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You should eat within 10 minutes of your exercise. Also, eat something 20 mins or so before your workout.. Always cool down properly after the workout
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    GO TO DOCTOR

sometimes it can be something to do with your hydration levels or food intake

sometimes it can be more sinister. it's worth checking out.

edit: also, soluble aspirin is usually recommended as a 'first step' for severe headaches or migraines so it might be worth trying some of that at the onset of the attack.
  • spdoughe
    spdoughe Posts: 51
    Options
    MFP gives me 1600 to eat.. I've been averaging about 1200-1300 and then i work out and burn at least 600.. i dont get what the deficet thing means.. and i dont know what BMR or TDEE is either lol sorry im still learning all the healthy lingo lol..

And I do drink a lot of water during the day and i alwasy finishe a bottle during my work out, so i think im staying hydrated..
  • lemonsnowdrop
    Options
    You should eat within 10 minutes of your exercise. Also, eat something 20 mins or so before your workout.. Always cool down properly after the workout

Wait, what?
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    MFP gives me 1600 to eat.. I've been averaging about 1200-1300 and then i work out and burn at least 600.. i dont get what the deficet thing means.. and i dont know what BMR or TDEE is either lol sorry im still learning all the healthy lingo lol..

And I do drink a lot of water during the day and i alwasy finishe a bottle during my work out, so i think im staying hydrated..

you neet to 'net' 1200 or 1300 i.e. you eat those 600 back. you'll still lose because you'll still be in a deficit i.e. eating less than you burn.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    Options

Read all of this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • TexasGal1
    TexasGal1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I needed to see this today. I recently began doing the StrongLifts 5x5 program after being away from the gym for about 15 years.

I go to the gym during my lunch hour. Today, the headache began about an hour post-workout. By the end of the workday, the headache was INTENSE. I don't remember having the headaches 15 years ago in my former gym rat life, but I do remember eating lunch at morning break two hours pre-workout and a large snack two hours post-workout.

I concentrate on my breathing while lifting, so I think I'm okay there; and I drink lots of water everyday.

I think I'll start eating more in the mornings before my noon workout and see if that makes a difference.

It is a relief to know that I'm not alone. =)

Thank you for your information to help me figure all of this out! :wink: