Breakfast at Work

Normally, I eat breakfast once I get to work in the mornings. Lately, I've been eating instant oatmeal (I can throw a couple packets in my purse as I leave the house, and we have a hot water dispenser... so its super easy). However, I would like to find something that is higher in protein. Does anyone have an ideas of good options that are great for work? Thanks!

Replies

• ratchet2
    ratchet2 Posts: 87 Member
    I also eat breakfast at work. I take Greek yogurt (vanilla or honey), berries and bran buds. I find this very filling until lunch. I do not like yogurt at all, but I found using the equal amount of berries (or more) makes it seem like berries and whip cream.
  • jeffininer
    jeffininer Posts: 204 Member
    I'm really liking the Jimmy Dean delight sandwiches. The Canadian bacon one is really good and low calorie. That's been my go-to breakfast lately.
  • jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    mmm... im about to eat some whole grain waffles and turkey sausage for breakfast at work.... good stuff right there... ohh and yes i will use real butter and syrup on them, lol
  • bmkxox
    bmkxox Posts: 27 Member
    I sometimes will make a quick scrambled egg "patty" in the microwave, toast an english muffin, & add cheese. I also like the delights turkey sausage on english muffin. those are quick easy meals that hold me over until lunch! if youre still hungry you can add some fruit or something like a banana. I'm always eating my breakfast at work due to wanting to sleep longer ha. you could always pre-make some breakfast sandwiches and then just heat them up in the morning!
  • bmkxox
    bmkxox Posts: 27 Member
    that sounds good!
  • Kanuenue
    Kanuenue Posts: 253 Member
    I like to take boiled eggs and a couple pieces of fruit. Very portable and if you have a fridge at your work, you can boil some eggs at the beginning of the week and keep a batch there.
  • DebbieSusanne
    DebbieSusanne Posts: 18 Member
    I usually eat breakfast at work. I usually eat oatmeal, greek yogurt with fruit and nuts or lean cuisine has some frozen breakfast sandwiches that are really good and low calorie. I usually eat one of these when I first get there and then in a couple hours I usually have a banana, nuts or a cheese stick.
  • RachelFrost1
    RachelFrost1 Posts: 46 Member
    I take plain whole milk yogurt (2/3 cup) with about a half cup of blueberries (I buy the frozen ones and put them in there the day before so they are defrosted) and add half a cup of granola. It's got lots of protein and keeps me full for at least four hours.
  • abrace04
    abrace04 Posts: 4
    Thank you for all of the great suggestions!
  • lttappenn
    lttappenn Posts: 40 Member
    I always eat breakfast at work, too. I like to make scrambled eggs with Birdseye Broccoli Stir Fry veggies, or any veggies of your choice. I make a couple of days worth the night before and then just take them with me. They are great topped with salsa or pizza sauce too. Hard boiled eggs are a great option also. Add some fruit and you are set.
  • LB2812
    LB2812 Posts: 158 Member
    I like to make a batch of food ahead of time and pack it up for breakfasts. If I don't I end up buying something I don't really want! My usual go-to is scrambled tofu (lots of recipes but I like Isa Chandra's)... I eat eggs but I don't like re-heated eggs at all so the tofu is a much better option for prepping ahead of time for me and then reheating. One block of tofu, some cheese, shredded potatos, some veggies, usually gives me breakfast mon-fri and enough protein to fill me up til lunch.

I recently got sick of that though and made these blueberry oatmeal waffles for breakfast. I made a batch at once and brought them each day with some fruit and I was amazed how filled up I was.

Sometimes I do burritos too. Just bean burritos that I make and freeze so I can just grab one and eat it for breakfast or whenever.

Hardboiled eggs are another thing I'll do. I try to bring some crackers and fruit and it's about the quickest, most protein packed breakfast I can do in a pinch!
  • katscoots
    katscoots Posts: 255 Member
    You can always throw in some nuts to increase the protein.
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Yeah, if you have a fridge, you can bring yogurt! I bring 1/2c. of nonfat vanilla greek yogurt to work in a little baby tupperware thing (I buy the big containers at the store) and it definitely fills me up. :)
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Thomas Triple Health English Muffin, one egg, 2 oz ham, 1 slice of Sargento Ultra Thin cheese of your choice. I make the sandwich at home and heat it in the microwave at work for about 45 seconds. About 250 calories and 18 gr of protein.
  • Harrisonsauntie2005
    Harrisonsauntie2005 Posts: 215 Member
    Hard boiled eggs, mash them with mayo
    pre-cooked chicken :)
  • EmotionalEater84
    EmotionalEater84 Posts: 311 Member
    I boil a batch of hard boiled eggs and bring one to work almost daily :) Add a piece of toast and it's almost a full brekkie and easy!
  • statickey
    statickey Posts: 309 Member
    I eat low cal yogurt or reduced sugar oatmeal.

Also, Tim Horton's has egg white breakfast sandwiches that aren't too high in cals that I get sometimes
  • nineteentwenty
    nineteentwenty Posts: 469 Member
    Chopped peaches or bananas with vanilla yogurt and granola :) very filling and tasty!
  • MDChesler
    MDChesler Posts: 48 Member
    I do Cheerioes in the prepackaged cup with 4oz of 1% milk, a Banana, black coffee and a plain Greek yogurt.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    I scramble some eggs (protein) at home throw it in a Tupperware with some avocado (fat) and some cut up fruit (carb)

keeps me full until lunch
  • Aello11
    Aello11 Posts: 312 Member
    scrambled eggs and sausage crumbles in the microwave
    Protein Shake
    yogurt with nuts/fruit
    Special K or Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwich

those are my go to items when in the office :smile:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    left overs. (eating chili as I type)
    scrambled eggs
    hard boiled eggs
    yogurt + protein powder +fruit- nomnomnom
  • ScarlettVamp
    ScarlettVamp Posts: 828 Member
    I got this idea from an MFP post a year or two ago and adapted it to my caloric needs. I got out of the habit of making them and am starting back with them for an easy, healthy, "on the go" breakfast. I make a dozen on Sunday, put them in the refrigerator, and toss 2 (or 3) in the microwave each morning.

Here's the recipe for 12 Breakfast Quiche “Muffins”:

4 whole eggs
    8 egg whites
    1 cup Jimmy Dean turkey sausage crumbles (finely crumbled)
    2/3 cup 2% finely shredded cheddar cheese
    1/2 cup finely chopped broccoli
    1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
    1/2 cup finely chopped onion
    1/4 cup almond milk (or 1% milk)
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    salt and pepper (to taste)
    non-stick cooking spray

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Sautee veggies and brown sausage in a little non-stick cooking spray.

Combine eggs, egg whites, milk, and baking powder in a bowl.

Spray muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.

Evenly divide veggie/sausage mixture in muffin tin.

Sprinkle cheese in each muffin tin over veggie/sausage mixture.

Then evenly divide egg mixture over the veggie/sausage/cheese in each tin.

Bake for 15-20 minutes.

Recipe is VERY adaptable. Original recipe called for 1 cup of broccoli but that’s just too much for my taste. I also doubled the baking powder to 1 tsp (by accident) and it firmed them up a bit more, but they weren’t dry at all.

Mine come out to 70 or 75 calories each depending on which milk I use, and about 8 or 9 grams of protein each.
  • blmoose
    blmoose Posts: 1 Member
    I take a yogurt and pre measured baggy of kashi cereal. If you put some cereal (I use 1/2 cup) in a baggy the night before you can just a grab and go in the morning! Also, the Kashi cereal has lots of protein and is very filling!
    On days I want to treat myself, I have a whole wheat English muffin with peanut butter and a sliced banana on top! you can put the peanut butter on the muffin the night before and again it's grab and go! Yummy!
    Good luck!
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,373 Member
    we have a fridge at work in the break room along with a very nice microwave, so I keep eggs, turkey sausage crumbles and chili peppers - whip up a couple of eggs, slice up a pepper, toss in some crumbles and 2 minutes later I have breakfast.

I also keep yogurt, fruit and veggies in the fridge for those times I don't want eggs (plus frozen fruit in the freezer for smoothies!).
  • burns429
    burns429 Posts: 104 Member
    If instant oatmeal is working for you, try Quaker weight control packets. It's 160 calories, 1 gram of sugar, 6 grams of fiber, 7 grams of protein. And my new favorite addition to oatmeal: chia seeds. They'll add 60 cals for a tablespoon but you'll also get 4 more grams of fiber and 3 more grams of protein. (you need a little extra water though to get the same consistency as before. my first go at adding them turned into oatmeal paste)
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    I just made a protein shake with chocolate protein powder, pb2, half of a banana, and skim milk. 22+ grams of protein!

I also premake a protein green smoothie the night before and take that in to work the following morning. It stores well in the fridge and a quick shake makes it good to go!
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Lately, I've been eating instant oatmeal (I can throw a couple packets in my purse as I leave the house, and we have a hot water dispenser... so its super easy). However, I would like to find something that is higher in protein.

Instead of using packets, I buy plain oatmeal then put a scoop of whey and a few chopped walnuts in it. The whey gives it some flavor and sweetness as well as protein. The nuts give it fat. You'll end up with a fairly balanced cup of oatmeal this way, where the pre-packaged one will be primarily carbs.
  • jld0411
    jld0411 Posts: 29 Member
    I am IN LOVE WITH chia pudding. It's so versatile, so many flavors you can make. Blend a liquid, fruit and some protein powder (some of my favorites are pumpkin, almond milk and peanut butter or coffee, raspberries, cocoa powder and coconut milk). Put your liquid in a small mason jar, toss in a couple of tablespoons of chia seeds and shake well. Put it in the refrigerator, shaking every half hour or so until the chia seeds start to gelatinize (I know that isn't a word, lol). Then let refrigerate overnight. Pull it out in the morning and you have an awesome meal.

This can be a little calorie intensive, so watch out! I usually split one "recipe" into 3 jars, and I sit below 300 calories, which is perfect for me. It won't look like a lot of food, but chia seeds are quite filling. :)
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    I mix up a protien shake but only use 1 scoop of protien powder in skim milk/almond milk or whatever. I take my time siping it at work. I usually just throw it all in a small tupperware container and use a wisk to mix it up before throwing in my my lunch bag. I have a 30 minute drive to work and sometimes don't start the shake for another 30 minutes after I get to the office and it's always still cold enough. Low cal, high protien.