Options
    left overs. (eating chili as I type)
    scrambled eggs
    hard boiled eggs
    yogurt + protein powder +fruit- nomnomnom
  • ScarlettVamp
    ScarlettVamp Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I got this idea from an MFP post a year or two ago and adapted it to my caloric needs. I got out of the habit of making them and am starting back with them for an easy, healthy, "on the go" breakfast. I make a dozen on Sunday, put them in the refrigerator, and toss 2 (or 3) in the microwave each morning.

Here's the recipe for 12 Breakfast Quiche “Muffins”:

4 whole eggs
    8 egg whites
    1 cup Jimmy Dean turkey sausage crumbles (finely crumbled)
    2/3 cup 2% finely shredded cheddar cheese
    1/2 cup finely chopped broccoli
    1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
    1/2 cup finely chopped onion
    1/4 cup almond milk (or 1% milk)
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    salt and pepper (to taste)
    non-stick cooking spray

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Sautee veggies and brown sausage in a little non-stick cooking spray.

Combine eggs, egg whites, milk, and baking powder in a bowl.

Spray muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.

Evenly divide veggie/sausage mixture in muffin tin.

Sprinkle cheese in each muffin tin over veggie/sausage mixture.

Then evenly divide egg mixture over the veggie/sausage/cheese in each tin.

Bake for 15-20 minutes.

Recipe is VERY adaptable. Original recipe called for 1 cup of broccoli but that’s just too much for my taste. I also doubled the baking powder to 1 tsp (by accident) and it firmed them up a bit more, but they weren’t dry at all.

Mine come out to 70 or 75 calories each depending on which milk I use, and about 8 or 9 grams of protein each.
  • blmoose
    blmoose Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I take a yogurt and pre measured baggy of kashi cereal. If you put some cereal (I use 1/2 cup) in a baggy the night before you can just a grab and go in the morning! Also, the Kashi cereal has lots of protein and is very filling!
    On days I want to treat myself, I have a whole wheat English muffin with peanut butter and a sliced banana on top! you can put the peanut butter on the muffin the night before and again it's grab and go! Yummy!
    Good luck!
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    we have a fridge at work in the break room along with a very nice microwave, so I keep eggs, turkey sausage crumbles and chili peppers - whip up a couple of eggs, slice up a pepper, toss in some crumbles and 2 minutes later I have breakfast.

I also keep yogurt, fruit and veggies in the fridge for those times I don't want eggs (plus frozen fruit in the freezer for smoothies!).
  • burns429
    burns429 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    If instant oatmeal is working for you, try Quaker weight control packets. It's 160 calories, 1 gram of sugar, 6 grams of fiber, 7 grams of protein. And my new favorite addition to oatmeal: chia seeds. They'll add 60 cals for a tablespoon but you'll also get 4 more grams of fiber and 3 more grams of protein. (you need a little extra water though to get the same consistency as before. my first go at adding them turned into oatmeal paste)
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I just made a protein shake with chocolate protein powder, pb2, half of a banana, and skim milk. 22+ grams of protein!

I also premake a protein green smoothie the night before and take that in to work the following morning. It stores well in the fridge and a quick shake makes it good to go!
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Lately, I've been eating instant oatmeal (I can throw a couple packets in my purse as I leave the house, and we have a hot water dispenser... so its super easy). However, I would like to find something that is higher in protein.

Instead of using packets, I buy plain oatmeal then put a scoop of whey and a few chopped walnuts in it. The whey gives it some flavor and sweetness as well as protein. The nuts give it fat. You'll end up with a fairly balanced cup of oatmeal this way, where the pre-packaged one will be primarily carbs.
  • jld0411
    jld0411 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am IN LOVE WITH chia pudding. It's so versatile, so many flavors you can make. Blend a liquid, fruit and some protein powder (some of my favorites are pumpkin, almond milk and peanut butter or coffee, raspberries, cocoa powder and coconut milk). Put your liquid in a small mason jar, toss in a couple of tablespoons of chia seeds and shake well. Put it in the refrigerator, shaking every half hour or so until the chia seeds start to gelatinize (I know that isn't a word, lol). Then let refrigerate overnight. Pull it out in the morning and you have an awesome meal.

This can be a little calorie intensive, so watch out! I usually split one "recipe" into 3 jars, and I sit below 300 calories, which is perfect for me. It won't look like a lot of food, but chia seeds are quite filling. :)
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I mix up a protien shake but only use 1 scoop of protien powder in skim milk/almond milk or whatever. I take my time siping it at work. I usually just throw it all in a small tupperware container and use a wisk to mix it up before throwing in my my lunch bag. I have a 30 minute drive to work and sometimes don't start the shake for another 30 minutes after I get to the office and it's always still cold enough. Low cal, high protien.
  • alyjb1121
    alyjb1121 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I crack two eggs open into a tupperware container.....add some spices or something, then mircowave it at work to eat at my desk!
  • greenbubblegum
    greenbubblegum Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I use a microwave egg poacher. Two eggs with a little salt & pepper.
  • alyjb1121
    alyjb1121 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Lately, I've been eating instant oatmeal (I can throw a couple packets in my purse as I leave the house, and we have a hot water dispenser... so its super easy). However, I would like to find something that is higher in protein.

Instead of using packets, I buy plain oatmeal then put a scoop of whey and a few chopped walnuts in it. The whey gives it some flavor and sweetness as well as protein. The nuts give it fat. You'll end up with a fairly balanced cup of oatmeal this way, where the pre-packaged one will be primarily carbs.

Also! Oatmeal in a slow cooker/crock pot with some fruit or spice overnight, just wake up and dish out a portion. You have to use regular oats rather than the packet oatmeal. It doesn't solve your oatmeal and protein woes but it is a good way to mix up your routine and flavors.
  • monstergirl14
    monstergirl14 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I have plain greek yogurt (acquired taste!) with some banana granola enriched with omega 3. Or, almond milk and the special k protein cereal
  • leeshults
    leeshults Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Boiled egg and some pre-cooked bacon in a baggie with a hot cup of tea and a sweetener...less than 150 calories. Fills me up and I save my calories for later. I did the oatmeal for a long time but I was starving before 10!
  • melmckay99
    melmckay99 Posts: 358
    Options
    add protein poweder to your oatmeal!!! Pretty simple and spices up your oatmeal :)

Also hard boiled eggs are quick and portable. Just make a a half dozen or so and keep them in the fridge and take as needed :)
  • Asherah29
    Asherah29 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, honey and either an apple or banana *so good*
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    I will Cook up 2 cups of steel cut oats mixed with a 1/2 cup of quinoa, a couple Tablespoons of "vietnamese" cinnamon.. and about 4 Tablespoons of Honey on a Sunday... then store it in the fridge... that's enough for me to last a week or so...I will drop a 1/2 cup in a container with a handful of mixed berries, a handlful of mixed pecans & walnuts then drop a dollop of no fat plain yogurt in and then micro wave it for 30 seconds to take out the chill... and BAM!!! enough to get you to lunch... AND you know exactly what went into it...
  • Asherah29
    Asherah29 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    oh yeah and its super easy to warm up an egg baked in an avacado with cheese!
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Yeah I was having oatmeal every morning with apples and walnuts but now that I'm playing with macros I'm trying to add in more protein too. This is what I'm currently doing which is a work in progress:

1 container Greek yogurt w/fruit on the bottom, 1 tbsp. flaxseed, 1 tbsp. chia seed, 1 tbsp. walnuts, .25c cooked oatmeal. Mixed up.