Decent priced heart rate monitor

Options
Hey everyone. Just looking for a heart rate monitor that's maybe under 70 dollars and tracks calories also that wont break in a week lol.:laugh: Wondering if anyone knows of any? My boyfriend wants to get me something for Christmas but I don't want to ask for a to pricey one :blushing:

Replies

• krtaylor98
    krtaylor98 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I cant wait to see if you get some responses on this. I am wanting to get one myself but dont know where to start with a good one. Can we please get some input from someone that might have some knowledge on this matter.
  • rai8759
    rai8759 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I cant wait to see if you get some responses on this. I am wanting to get one myself but dont know where to start with a good one. Can we please get some input from someone that might have some knowledge on this matter.

ditto!! I need a good one 2 and have not even started looking.
  • lukybug
    lukybug Posts: 209
    Options
    I ordered mine off Amazon. I don't remember exactly what I paid for it, but I know I got a hell of a deal. It's a Polar FT4. Came with the "watch" and chest strap. I love it. Pretty easy to use too. Hope this helps.
  • lyla29
    lyla29 Posts: 3,549 Member
    Options
    I've had a Polar heart rate monitor for about 3 years now and I just had to replace the battery last week. The ones with the chest strap are the best since it continually monitors your heart rate and you don't have to stop and check it. I'm not sure of the polar website but you can google it and probably compare the different models. I think mine was about $110-$120 so it's a little bit more than you were looking for but it's definitely worth the money in my opinion.
  • Run4iiiiiit
    Run4iiiiiit Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I am looking as well. I do know that polar has to be sent back to have the battery changed. pain. Amazon has a few to choose from and you can read the reviews.
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    The Polar F4 is about $70 at Target. I used that one until I upgraded, and it works very well!
  • TracieJ65
    TracieJ65 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I just got the Timex T5H881 Zone Trainer Digital Heart Rate Monitor from amazon.com for 50.00. I had a garmin before and found out it was not reading my heart rate correctly. (it did not have a strap around my chest, just the wrist watch) so I searched and searched for weeks. I DID not choose any of the polar ones because when the batteries die you have to send it in to get them changed. Anyway, so far I absolutely love this and I have it set to beep at me if my heart rate goes under the recommendation so I find that when I hear it beep I step it up which keeps my heart rate in the recommended category and then in turn keeps me burning calories.
  • lyla29
    Options
    I've heard that if you change the battery yourself the only thing that changes is that the warranty won't be covered if you wear it under water anymore. This wasn't a concern for me so I just changed the battery myself.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I ordered mine off Amazon too, $70 Sportline (the mens one because i have big wrists lol) it's a cheap band but i really like the face:happy: and it comes with a free one year subscription to women or men's health (online of course)
  • KittyCathy
    KittyCathy Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I will definitely look into this one. Sounds like a good deal. Thanks for everyone's help:drinker:
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    Okay! MY experiences are as follows:

Sportline from Walmart: $25
    Does not have a chest strap so supposed to not be as accurate since its not constantly taking your HR. However it worked quite well for me as it tracked my calories burned, my heart rate, the time...I wore it every day for nearly three months. LOVED IT. For the price, it was perfect!

Timex Ironman Road Trainer Heart Rate Monitor from Amazon: $70 w/free shipping
    Has a chest strap so continuous heart rate. Custom Heart Rate Zone so it will alert you if you leave the zone you want to stay in. Calories burned. YOU can replace the batteries which is important as POLAR HRM's you have to send the watch to them to have it replaced. Water resistant. Timers. Date Recorder. 50 lap recall with rate data.

All in all I love them both. I wanted the second one because as I increase my training I wanted more options. If you look on Amazon and the price is more then $70, wait a few days. They are VERY frequently on sale. As in every couple of days they go from $100 dollars to $70 dollars. :o)

So there you have it! Any other questions feel free to message me!
  • brooke0206
    brooke0206 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I would definately make sure you get one with the chest strap. If you have just the watch its not as accurate and you have to press your finger on the sensor many times through out your workout to even come close to an accurate reading. I am going to be purchasing a Polar HRM before the beginning of the year... I think the model I was looking at was the FT4.
  • JulieTX86
    Options
    Mine was right around that cost.... it was $75. I got the Polar FT7 from amazon and I like it, A LOT! It has the watch and the chest strap. Whatever you decide to do make sure you get a HRM with a chest strap.
  • 1CALIJIBARO2
    Options
    I just received my HRM from AMAZON.......It is a OREGON SCIENTIFIC HRM, model:SE302. Original Price $149., it sold for $34.99. check w/ Amazon & also w/ Heart rate Monitor USA. (They r the ones who I found on Amazon)http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/oregon-hrm.html. I just saw on their site the same model for 5bucks more. good luck
  • JulieTX86
    Options
    I am looking as well. I do know that polar has to be sent back to have the battery changed. pain. Amazon has a few to choose from and you can read the reviews.

Haven't read all the posts yet, so I am not sure if someone already said this, but this statement isn't exactly true. Not all Polar models have to be sent back to the manufacturer to have the battery replaced. For example, my Polar FT7 does not have to be sent back. They "encourage" you to send it back because they can make sure they test the water seal on it when they replace the battery. However, if you are not swimming or bathing in it then I don't see why that would really be needed.

Edited to include: Also, as someone earlier said, Polar can't guarantee the warranty if you change the battery yourself as far as the water seal, however, I would encourage you to see how long the warrantly lasts in the first place. If it is only one year then that doesn't really seem to matter anyway.
  • lyla29
    Options

Haven't read all the posts yet, so I am not sure if someone already said this, but this statement isn't exactly true. Not all Polar models have to be sent back to the manufacturer to have the battery replaced. For example, my Polar FT7 does not have to be sent back. They "encourage" you to send it back because they can make sure they test the water seal on it when they replace the battery. However, if you are not swimming or bathing in it then I don't see why that would really be needed.

Edited to include: Also, as someone earlier said, Polar can't guarantee the warranty if you change the battery yourself as far as the water seal, however, I would encourage you to see how long the warrantly lasts in the first place. If it is only one year then that doesn't really seem to matter anyway.

Exactly my point . My battery lasted about 3 years and I don't know what the warranty was but I doubt it was for 3 years. If you do use it for swimming then maybe you should look for a higher quality model, since mine is the F6 and the higher quality models you can change the battery yourself I believe. Some of the sports stores you can compare different brands/models to see which one is better for you. Good luck with your choice :smile:
  • Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    Options
    I just got the Timex T5H881 Zone Trainer Digital Heart Rate Monitor from amazon.com for 50.00. I had a garmin before and found out it was not reading my heart rate correctly. (it did not have a strap around my chest, just the wrist watch) so I searched and searched for weeks. I DID not choose any of the polar ones because when the batteries die you have to send it in to get them changed. Anyway, so far I absolutely love this and I have it set to beep at me if my heart rate goes under the recommendation so I find that when I hear it beep I step it up which keeps my heart rate in the recommended category and then in turn keeps me burning calories.
    just checking out the reviews on this one, High reviews and it seems some very experienced hrm users really like it! yay!
  • rai8759
    rai8759 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    thanks for the advice!!!
  • grace914
    grace914 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the info. I'm looking for a new one too! Thanks again!