Get more creative with vegetables

Options
Hello,

Being on MFP its probably clear that I love food, so much that its a bit of a problem which I hope you guys can relate too. One thing I've noticed is that I'm probably not putting enough vegetables into my diet as I should be. I do enjoy cooking but find that not all my dishes are particularly brimming with vegetables and I think I don't feel too creative around them.

What I am looking for are some recommendation on really tastey and easy to make recipes that can give me a great nutritious vege hit during my week.

I look forward to all your suggestions!

Replies

• colortheworld
    colortheworld Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    In the past, when I didn't get enough, I blended up steamed veggies and added them to my chili, I still put them into a lot of dishes, especially casseroles. Had a pizza casserole with steamed brocolli in it for dinner. A handful of spinach can go into a breakfast smoothie without changing the flavor.
  • chljlleal
    chljlleal Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I LOVE sprouts roasted with bacon (but bacon doesn't stay in our fridge long enough to do it very often).
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I like to chop up a bunch of veggies at once to keep in the fridge, that way if I'm making something it's no big effort to add a bit of veg to the recipe. Add to scrambled eggs for a good breakfast. Green onions, red peppers, celery, kale, cabbage, and shredded sweet potatoes are my favorites. Bags of baby spinach work well too. You can add spinach to a lot of things and barely notice it's in there because it shrinks up so much.

Some nice sides are: (sorry you'll have to cut & paste as I don't know how to do links here)
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Baked-Kale-Chips/Detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=kale chips&e8=Quick Search&event10=1&e7=Home Page&soid=sr_results_p1i5

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Roasted-Vegetable-Medley/Detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=roasted vegetables&e8=Quick Search&event10=1&e7=Home Page&soid=sr_results_p1i4

Most veggies are excellent roasted.

Also, you can make a big batch of soup with lot of veggies, freeze in individual portions for a quick meal.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Roasted veggies are great.

I'm very fond of mashed cauliflower and carrots too. I do peppers and onions with eggs a lot (or tomatoes and spinach with egg whites), or you can do dishes that include them (sheperd's pie, meatloaf with veggies, casseroles etc).
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    As the others posted it's much easier if you've done some veg prep and have them ready in the fridge. Or I like to roast extra veggies when I'm prepping dinner so I can take them for lunch the next day. Also add extra veg to soups and pasta sauces.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I LOVE sprouts roasted with bacon (but bacon doesn't stay in our fridge long enough to do it very often).

that was my only addition and you stole it from me.

veggies sauted in bacon lard is delicious.

asparagus wrapped bacon- also delicious- even my picky *kitten* boyfriend will eat it.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I have been having sweet thoughts about this recipe, and thought this post would be a perfect excuse to look it up and share it. So easy!

Use a peeler to peel the squash, then chop into cubes. It takes way longer than you'd think to chop the squash because it's hard, and a long time for cooking also, so also make sure you have at least an hour and a half for prep time.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/rosemary-roasted-butternut-squash/

Here's almost the exact same recipe with sweet potatoes.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/roasted-sweet-potatoes-and-garlic-with-rosemary-recipe.html

I never recalled using garlic and I've made both of these many times and love them.

The family (even kids) love it too.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Roasted veggies are great.

I'm very fond of mashed cauliflower and carrots too. I do peppers and onions with eggs a lot (or tomatoes and spinach with egg whites), or you can do dishes that include them (sheperd's pie, meatloaf with veggies, casseroles etc).

Yes, I've done the mashed cauliflower - it is sooo yummy.

Also when I make healthy meatloaf - I try and chop up veggies and add them. Another favorite is shish kabobs - with whatever veggies will fit that I like!!! mmmmm
  • mfoulkebrown
    mfoulkebrown Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have had the same problem! I'm a good cook, but didn't used to do much with veggies (partly because I don't enjoy them as much as other things).

I try to 'hide' them a bit, as others have suggested. For example, if making mashed potatoes, replace half of the potatoes with cauliflower. It tastes the same, adds extra nutrients, and lowers the calories. Win-win-win.

Also, check out skinnytaste.com. There are some GREAT recipes there that are low calorie and delicious!
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    I'm totally in the same boat. Combination of just not being in the habit of using veggies much + living alone, so produce sometimes goes bad before I can eat it. That being said, I try to stock up on frozen. I like putting frozen peas in almost anything. And when I do have fresh, I like roasting asparagus, squash and zucchini with a little olive oil and some Tony's (or just cayenne if you're watching your sodium).
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    You can make curry. I load mine with zucchini, mushrooms, sweet potato, onions, cauliflower, carrots, bell peppers.... basically whatever I have in my house.
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    "Zoodles"! I take my serrated peeler and julienne a zucchini into thin strips that resemble noodles. I serve them with fresh marinara, or just a little olive oil and grated parmesan. They're delish!
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Get a spiralizer! They're around 20-30 dollars.

Check out http://www.inspiralized.com/
  • mattchapman86
    mattchapman86 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    "Zoodles"! I take my serrated peeler and julienne a zucchini into thin strips that resemble noodles. I serve them with fresh marinara, or just a little olive oil and grated parmesan. They're delish!

Haha, well that just sounds awesome!!!

These are just fantastic ideas! Please keep them coming, this is inspiring stuff! This is the first time my stomach has grumbled over vegetables before!!
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Love salads of all kinds. Sometimes have tomatoes, red onion, cucumbers , feta cheese and a splash of balsamic vinegar. Someone else mentioned roasted veggies. Onion, peppers, all kinds, sliced cabbage, and cherry tomatoe with olive oil, salt and pepper. I make a huge amount of this and then have for several different things like in a wrap with grilled chicken or I put with scrambled eggs. So many good ideas in this. Have fun and be creative. Hope this helps...
  • taravernier
    taravernier Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I roast veggies a lot. So last night I roasted some zucchini,squash, and mushrooms (just olive oil and salt and pepper) which my son and I ate with our fish for supper. The left overs were then diced up to make a quinoa salad (quinoa, veggies and vinaigrette). It is just such an easy way to do it. That said, I am looking forward to when I can use my grill instead of my oven. Oh, also if my son is asking for pasta then I will usually try to make sure that there are more roasted veggies in the pot than noodles. :)