50 something wants to lose 50 something

Options
Good morning! I am 52 and want to lose 52 pounds - anybody want to join in for support and encouragement? I want to lose the weight, get more fit, and be strong and happy. I am planning to walk/run to do a 10k in July and a half marathon in October, but I really don't like running until I am done with it. And I use the term running very loosely - much more walking and slow jogging, but at least I am moving. But being older than those youths out there adds its own challenges, so looking for some older gals (and guys) to commiserate with and support each other.

Replies

• dmac62x
    dmac62x Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Missy! I too am "fifty-something" embarking upon a weight-loss, healthy lifestyle journey. I've only been at it a month and would love to have a friend to share encouragement. In an effort to be more active, I've been walking, biking and hiking. I've lost 8 lbs so far - and would love to lose 30, but realistically expect to lose about 20 lbs. I'm not on a diet, but have committed to a lifestyle change, so I'll just have to wait and see how the journey unfolds.
  • missybraden
    missybraden Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I know we can do this - and you are right, it is a lifestyle change. Sometimes I get too hung up on the rate of loss, of course I want to just wake up fit and thin. But it just takes some simple, yet hard to implement steps! We all know what to do, now we have to just do them.
  • carmenlampman3
    carmenlampman3 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi Missy, I am about to climb aboard the 50 boat in September so I am feeling the internal need to do this now. The time is now. Glad to see so many folks all with the same goal. Everyone here can relate to the road ahead. I wont say how "hard it is going to be" because I think the "its hard" turns into "its too hard" in my mind so I try not to think that way. I can do this, you can do this....look forward to checking in and sharing hurdles. Have a great choice day!
  • marbley106
    marbley106 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Tammy. I am 50 years old and would like to reverse that back to 50 years young. Seven months ago, I started this journey alone and very quickly found myself quitting. I am looking to make friends on MFP who are on a similar journey to encourage me through this time. I would like to lose 30-35 lbs.
  • missyhoneybeee
    Options
    Hi I'm 55 this year need to start doing something about my weight/health/fitness feel free to add me :):flowerforyou:
  • lumpylady
    Options
    Hi there! I just turned 49 last week and I have set a goal for myself to weigh 150 by my 50th bday (March 17, 2015). I have lost about 9lbs since 2/6.14 but sometimes the task is DAUNTING! Who am I kidding.....I am totally scared that I won't do it! Since February we have joined Golds Gym and I have been going about 3x per week and doing 30-90 minutes of cardio. I have tried to be good about tracking all the food I eat but that has ALWAYS been the hardest part of 'dieting' for me. I bought a Fitbit Flex and seeing how many calories I am burning hour to hour really helps keep me motivated. I hope we can encourage each other!
  • gimmecoffeeiv
    gimmecoffeeiv Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I just want to say CONGRATULATIONS for getting started. I was in the same position about 3 years ago. So I just said ENOUGH of this and decided it was time to get moving. I joined Weight Watchers first but found My Fitness Pal worked better for me. I also started running around that time. Now, I started running for 30 seconds at a time but worked my way up to a 5K. As the weight came off I was able to run for longer periods of time. I did a half marathon when I weighed about 180 pounds but it was really hard. I reached my goal weight but I gained about 10 pounds over the holidays. I guess the holidays are long over and I cannot use that as a good excuse anymore, so I am back here to lose those 10 pounds plus about 5 more.

Good luck to you! You can do this!:flowerforyou: