Shin Splints??

Options
Good Morning!

So, I need some help. :grumble:

I've been starting to run or jog cuz I don't go too fast but I try my best. I started in Feb and have been trying to go at least twice a week. I have this pain in my shins (it feels like my front calves) and it'll get tolerable for a while but once I go out again it hurts bad all over again.

I was reading that I may have shin splints and to do a no resistance excersise for 6-7 weeks for it to heal completely... I feel like maybe I am just being a wuss, I wanna make sure I'm pushing myself but since I did an ultra short "run" on saturday as fast as I could go my shins hurt.... and it hasn't felt better. :cry: I am scheduled to do a 10mile obstacle run in May and want to be able to run at least half. I don't want to loose progress. Working out on machines doesn't feel the same as being out in the "real world"

Any thoughts? :flowerforyou:

Replies

• scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Could be your shoes
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    try using compression calve sleeves. some swear by them some think it's all in your head. but I wear them. I still get shin splints every now and then, but you have to concentrate on not stomping your feet when you run. heel to toe roll. use your butt and hamstrings to glide you through the motion.

but if the pain is unbearable stay off your feet for awhile and ice the areas that hurt. and walk with short intervals of running. hope some of what i said helps.
  • winonajosephine
    winonajosephine Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I just bought a brand new pair of Asics shoes and thought it would get better but no luck... :embarassed:
  • adrianers
    adrianers Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I used to have terrible shin splints. I was shown an exercise that worked great. Basically stand in a casual crouch position, hands right above your knees. Then lift one foot, then the other keeping your heels on the ground the entire time. Try to lift until you feel the muscles in your shin contracting. (there are muscles there!) Do as many reps as you feel like both morning and night. Even before a run, it is a good warm up for your shin area.
  • winonajosephine
    Options
    try using compression calve sleeves. some swear by them some think it's all in your head. but I wear them. I still get shin splints every now and then, but you have to concentrate on not stomping your feet when you run. heel to toe roll. use your butt and hamstrings to glide you through the motion.

but if the pain is unbearable stay off your feet for awhile and ice the areas that hurt. and walk with short intervals of running. hope some of what i said helps.

Oh that helps!! I didn't know i should use the heel toe roll and I've looked up those sleeves and they are expensive! It makes since to me that they should help. I'll try. Thank you!!! :drinker:
  • acampbe2umd
    acampbe2umd Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I just bought a brand new pair of Asics shoes and thought it would get better but no luck... :embarassed:

Did you get properly fitted for these at a specialty running store? I would start with your shoes.
  • winonajosephine
    Options
    I used to have terrible shin splints. I was shown an exercise that worked great. Basically stand in a casual crouch position, hands right above your knees. Then lift one foot, then the other keeping your heels on the ground the entire time. Try to lift until you feel the muscles in your shin contracting. (there are muscles there!) Do as many reps as you feel like both morning and night. Even before a run, it is a good warm up for your shin area.

Thank you!!! I will definately be trying this today!!
  • winonajosephine
    Options

Did you get properly fitted for these at a specialty running store? I would start with your shoes.

Oh no. I just went to Big5
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I was reading that I may have shin splints and to do a no resistance excersise for 6-7 weeks for it to heal completely... I feel like maybe I am just being a wuss,

Can you describe the level of pain, the intensity and what effect it has on your ability to walk normally? Shinplints is a term that some people use to describe conditions with a number of different causes. The main thing is to rest, ice, compress and elevate until the immediate pain has gone, then address the source of the problem, not the symptoms.

There are a number of possible causes, each of which there is some way to approach.

As noted, your shoes may be unsuitable or out of life.

You may have a muscle imbalance, that can be addressed through using exercise bands, sandbags or similar to strengthen the muscle on the front of your shin

Your form may be an issue, a fairly common issue for new runners is over-striding. Try to keep your landing point only just in front of the body mass and push yourself forward, rather than pulling.

If it's simply muscular pain then it's a question of easing back, if it's actually shinplints then rest it.

a slightly fuller response here - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1229104-shin-splints
  • shazbox1
    shazbox1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Somebody already mentioned one exercise, but if you Google 'tibialis anterior' and get some other workouts/stretches, they may help as well. That is the muscle on the front of your shin and it really gave me problems the first month I was running. The stretches and strengthening exercises really seemed to help.
  • acampbe2umd
    acampbe2umd Posts: 145 Member
    Options

I would make sure first and foremost you're running in appropriate shoes for you. You don't have to buy them at the store, note what they recommend for you and you can alwasy look online for cheaper alternatives. I will sometimes even buy last years model to keep cost down since I'm replacing my shoes so frequently if I can find them. Good luck!
  • winonajosephine
    Options
    I was reading that I may have shin splints and to do a no resistance excersise for 6-7 weeks for it to heal completely... I feel like maybe I am just being a wuss,

Can you describe the level of pain, the intensity and what effect it has on your ability to walk normally? Shinplints is a term that some people use to describe conditions with a number of different causes. The main thing is to rest, ice, compress and elevate until the immediate pain has gone, then address the source of the problem, not the symptoms.

There are a number of possible causes, each of which there is some way to approach.

As noted, your shoes may be unsuitable or out of life.

You may have a muscle imbalance, that can be addressed through using exercise bands, sandbags or similar to strengthen the muscle on the front of your shin

Your form may be an issue, a fairly common issue for new runners is over-striding. Try to keep your landing point only just in front of the body mass and push yourself forward, rather than pulling.

If it's simply muscular pain then it's a question of easing back, if it's actually shinplints then rest it.

a slightly fuller response here - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1229104-shin-splints

It hurts to wear flats. Heels seem so much more comfortable. When I walk the pain is present. After a run its enough to make a scrunched up face and hobble around.

Form sounds like it is an issue. I didn't know about the roll another person posted and my landing is much in front of my body and I was stomping. These are all great things to learn. Maybe I should have done some research before I jumped in lol Thanks for all the help!
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    If it really is shin splints, you have to rest for a while. I had shin splints before, and it really hurts. It doesn't get better until you rest. Eat your greens and drink plenty of water, and find another exercise to do for a little while.
  • winonajosephine
    Options

I would make sure first and foremost you're running in appropriate shoes for you. You don't have to buy them at the store, note what they recommend for you and you can alwasy look online for cheaper alternatives. I will sometimes even buy last years model to keep cost down since I'm replacing my shoes so frequently if I can find them. Good luck!

Thanks!! :flowerforyou:
  • winonajosephine
    Options
    If it really is shin splints, you have to rest for a while. I had shin splints before, and it really hurts. It doesn't get better until you rest. Eat your greens and drink plenty of water, and find another exercise to do for a little while.

Thank you!! :drinker:
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    It hurts to wear flats. Heels seem so much more comfortable. When I walk the pain is present. After a run its enough to make a scrunched up face and hobble around.

Sounds like it is, lots of people say they have shin splints when they mean "mild muscle pain" and have no appreciation that having shin splints feels a bit like a hot poker being rammed down the lower leg with every step. I've even ended up using sticks at one stage to help alleviate the pain.
    Form sounds like it is an issue. I didn't know about the roll another person posted and my landing is much in front of my body and I was stomping. These are all great things to learn. Maybe I should have done some research before I jumped in lol Thanks for all the help!

You've already had some thoughts on shoes, there are different types to suit different runners, offering more padding or more control depending on your gait. It's worth getting checked out as the ones you've picked may not be appropriate for you.

As far as form is concerned, I've found that increasing my cadence has forced me to take shorter paces and land over my foot rather than behind it. I still land on the heel and roll forward but it's much less pronounced than it used to be.

But for now, let it heal. Too many people advocate running through shin splints, fine if it's a mild muscular pain but with shin splints it'll cause permanent damage. Shin splints is actually microfractures in the bone and the muscle tearing away from the bone :(