? about food with 0 cals...

Options
So 1 Vlasic Stackers pickle is 0 cals...when I eat 3, it's hard to believe I'm not eating 1 single calorie...but the NI says 1 stacker=0 cals. How do you figure out how many cals 3, or 10 stackers have? Hope this makes sense! lol

Replies

• chewy8874042
    chewy8874042 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Good Question!
    Funny, my sister and I split a Subway Veggie sub today and she tallied her calories on Subway's website and I did mine on here and hers was 32 lower than mine - I don't think Subway counts calories in most of their veggies.
  • CuteMommy88
    CuteMommy88 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    haha yeah I know how you feel!! when i did weight watchers there are alot of foods that are zero points but i know you cant just eat a ton of zero cals and it not add up!! um im not sure how you would track it!! maybe just count it as like 5 cals a pickle....thats what I would do.
  • taletreader
    taletreader Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Be careful - you're in the US, right? Your regulations allow labeling food as calorie-free when it has less than five calories per serving -- and what a serving is, the manufacturer defines. So for pickles, they're really low in calories (see http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-meijer-vlasic-stackers-kosher-dill-i143778 for a particular type: 5 cal / oz).

But be careful for some spray fat / butter replacements. There've been cases where the serving was less than one spray ... and people might spray many many times thinking naively that 25 times "calorie-free" equals 0 calories, when in effect they might easily have consumed 100-150 cals.

Googling "[food name] calories" can help beyond the label.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Well, there are some foods that take more calories to burn from just eating and digesting them than they actually provide. So you end up burning calories from eating! Lettuce, cucumbers and a bunch of others are like that. So maybe your pickles are too and that's why they say they have 0 calories. It's weird how different pickle brands have different amounts of calories. I know Claussen pickles have about 5 calories per pickle.
  • TracieJ65
    TracieJ65 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Bet the sodium is pretty high though!