BMR question

Options
If I eat my BMR amount and then exercise, will my daily calorie deficit be the same as the exercise amount?

Replies

• katieuk
    katieuk Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Hi,

The BMR calculation is basically what you need to function - I use the Harris Benedict equation to calculate mine: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/

So for example my BMR is - 1465kcal per day to just lay in my bed and do nothing (e.g in order for my organs to function properly).

Because I use MFP and I log my exercise I then multiply that figure by 1.2 (sedentary because I sit at a desk all day for work) and get the figure - 1758kcal - this is how much I should eat per day to maintain my current body weight.

They say to lose 1lb per week you need to create a deficit of 3500kcal per week (or 500kcal per day) which can be do via food only, exercise only or a combination of both!! So essentially I would eat 1258kcal per day (net) ...

I customise my own goals on MFP so I set my food at 1508kcal net per day (e.g. a calorie deficit of 250kcal per day) and I aim to create the further 1750kcal per week deficit through exercise!!

I hope this helps!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    You get your deficit by subtracting from your TDEE not your BMR.

Step 1: use a TDEE calculator to get an estimate of your Total Daily Energy Expenditure. This is how many calories you burn in a day and it's also the number of calories you would need to maintain your current weight. http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Step 2: eat less than this amount. About 20% less just to keep yourself at a healthy deficit. With this method you include your exercise in your TDEE calculations so you don't worry about eating back exercise calories.

Step 3: weight loss!
  • hertsgirl1984
    hertsgirl1984 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    ok, but TDEE is BMR + exercise. How does it know how many calories I burn through exercise when it's just an arbitrary calculation? For eg, my BMR is 1796. That's just to maintain my weight if I didn't move around all day. As I work out 5/6 days a week, my TDEE is 2716. If I eat 2716 calories, then burn 500 working out, then deduct what my body just burns doing it's own thing, then I've got 420 calories still lingering around, therefore I'm not in any deficit. So that doesn't make any sense to me! lol
    Even if I eat 20% less than my TDEE,2716 (2713) and burn 500 working out then my BMR that's only a deficit of around 100....
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    TDEE is BMR+NEAT and exercise.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    ok, but TDEE is BMR + exercise. How does it know how many calories I burn through exercise when it's just an arbitrary calculation? For eg, my BMR is 1796. That's just to maintain my weight if I didn't move around all day. As I work out 5/6 days a week, my TDEE is 2716. If I eat 2716 calories, then burn 500 working out, then deduct what my body just burns doing it's own thing, then I've got 420 calories still lingering around, therefore I'm not in any deficit. So that doesn't make any sense to me! lol
    Even if I eat 20% less than my TDEE,2716 (2713) and burn 500 working out then my BMR that's only a deficit of around 100....

You're forgetting about your NEAT calories. TDEE is BMR + exercise + NEAT (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis). NEAT is all of the day to day activity that even sedentary people get. Brushing your teeth, preparing food, walking to the car, dusting, etc.
  • hertsgirl1984
    Options
    so you're basically saying that there's no way to know for sure? lol
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

No...

BMR + NEAT + TEF + EAT = TDEE...

You're missing a whole bunch of **** in between. NEAT is your Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis...this is often far greater than people give it credit for and generally 1.5 - 2x greater than the average EAT. TEF is the Thermal Effect of Food, which is rather insignificant, but it's there. EAT is your Exercise Activity Thermogenesis.

My numbers...

1780 (BMR) + 520 (NEAT and TEF) + 400 (EAT) = 2,700 TDEE. A 500 calorie deficit would be 2,200 calories...I eat 2,200 calories and lose about 1 lb per week roughly.

If your TDEE is truly 2,716 then you would lose about 1 Lb per week eating 2,216 calories per day (2716 - 500 = 2,216). It's very basic math.

ETA: I think you're substantially over thinking this. These calculators give you a good starting point based on your stats and whatever best describes your activity level. Nobody has exactly a TDEE of XXXX calories per day. The numbers you get with these calculators aren't arbitrary, they are based on statistical averages which you may or may not fall within. Pretty much everyone has to make some adjustment to their numbers as per real world results. My numbers lie somewhere between light and moderate for my stats...I found that through trial and error...that's how you know.
  • hertsgirl1984
    Options
    I understand that, I just don't want to be accidentally over eating! How about if I ate 1800 calories?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I understand that, I just don't want to be accidentally over eating! How about if I ate 1800 calories?

Just pick something and go with it....yes, start conservative and make adjustments as per real world results. If you're losing faster than you want to and/or start losing a higher ratio of muscle to fat then dial it back...if you're not losing then you're eating too much, etc.

This is all trial and error...just go for it and get started.