Low Glucose level question

Options
I got my blood work report yesterday and my blood glucose level is really low. The normal is between 100-174, mine is 64. I googled information about low glucose levels and it said low glucose level may prevent weight loss and decrease metabolism. Maybe that's the reason I am not able to shed off the pounds even when I am eating right and exercising.

Can someone with similar issue please suggest what they do to regulate their blood sugar.

Replies

• krennie8
    krennie8 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    what are they measuring your blood in?

If it's mg/dL, normal is between 70-100, so while 64 is low, it's not unreasonably so. Even still if you're having symptoms (lethargy, sweating, shaking, etc) you should talk to your doctor about what to do to. Or eat something.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I assume this was a fasting blood glucose? If so, 64 is not that low and wouldn't cause many, if any, issues. Mine falls that low too, though typically it's in the low 70's when fasting.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    That's a good thing, no? I've heard from low carb friends and paleo friends that carbs are not essential and that sugar was toxic
  • fittripmom
    Options
    This was not the fasting one, I was asked to eat 1.5 to 2 hours prior to the blood test.
  • steph8679
    steph8679 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Some people have a low blood sugar and that's where they live, it's called hypoglycemia. It's not a big deal as long as it doesn't interfere with your daily activities. A blood glucose of 64 is not that far off and many hospitals are lowering the range to 60. I have hypoglycemia and have had a blood sugar of 45 an hour after eating/drinking. It does not interfere with my daily function and many times I can tell when it's low bc I become dizzy, cranky, or get a headache which in that case I eat or drink something. If you are really concerned talk with your doctor.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    That is pretty low for non-fasting. I've never heard of having trouble losing weight by having low blood sugar before. More frequent issues would be symptoms of hypoglycemia (from WebMD):

Hypoglycemia is low blood sugar. It is considered a symptom, not a disease. Hypoglycemia most commonly occurs in people who take certain diabetes medications. However, low blood sugar may also be due to abnormal hormone levels or sensitivity to certain body hormones, gastric surgery, a tumor of the pancreas, and genetic disorders that interfere with the body's ability to breakdown certain food substances, such as fruit sugar. Symptoms of hypoglycemia include shakiness, hunger, lightheadedness, and sweating. People with severe hypoglycemia may pass out. Meal plan or medication changes may help treat hypoglycemia. Follow the links below to find WebMD's comprehensive coverage about how hypoglycermia occurs, what the symptoms are, how to treat it, and much more.

This link has interesting information and says thyroid issues could be a factor. Have you had your thyroid checked?

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000386.htm
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    64 is at the low end but not outside of normal range

164224951NormalBGGraphs.jpg