PCOS

Options
After being recently diagnoses with PCOS my weight issues are beginning to make sense.

Does anyone here have PCOS and successfully managed/Managing to loose weight? If so any tips?

Thanks

Replies

• lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I don't have PCOS, but I do have insulin resistance and you usually see insulin resistance with PCOS. The two things I know of are metformin, which is a drug that helps metabolize glucose properly, and a low-carb diet to help control the insulin spikes caused by insulin resistance. Those are the two things I've seen for PCOS and insulin resistance in particular (though there may be other suggestions for PCOS in particular).
  • proacha101
    Options
    I know keeping our carbs/ sugars down is the best way of keeping the syptoms at bay. Are you on Metfomin? That is another way of controling the sugar spikes. Though I dont recomend staying on it long term. I am in general against meds. It really upset mey stomach and I had to go on the ER exstended release version. I am no longer on it maily because I can not remember to take it responsibly enough long term. I believe just lowering the carbs and staying with in my calories will bring me to my goal.
    Hope all goes well on your journey. If you really want to learn more about it and possibly try other meds, you want to start seeing an endocrinologist. They have the most knowlage on the subject for sure.
  • AKNMHunt
    AKNMHunt Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS with partial insulin resistance (not sure what's partial about it...). When I worked at it, I was able to lose 15lbs, but then I gave up. For me, it is all a main carb issue. I'm addicted to junk food. I also had to cut back/out fruits because of the high natural sugars.

Right now, I'm eating minimal fruit and carbs and doing the 30 Day Shred. Good luck!
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    There are many many posts in the forums regarding PCOS. You can do a search on it to find them. There are also several groups dedicated to PCOS. Go to the groups tab and put PCOS in the search to find those as well.

A reduced carb diet is generally recommended with insulin resistance.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    A good strength training program would be a must. Increases insulin sensitivity.
    Depending on how many carb grams you are eating at the moment, try eating less and see how you go. May not need to go very low levels. See what works for you.
  • badrideepthy
    badrideepthy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and I have recently read a book titled "PCOS Diet Book" by Colette Harris& Theresa Cheung which inspired me to start a proper diet with low GI foods. Don't worry and don't let yourself down. Its a very common problem worldwide these days. Good Diet has major impact and keep eating well. Cheers xx
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Yup, you will find lots of us PCOS ladies here!

Low carbs definitely works and can really help with cravings. I do some strength training which has been recommended to me.

I will occasionally go totally low carb (like 20-30g), but I usually try and stick around 100g. This seems to work ok for me, as long as I eat protein at the same time as the carbs. So I would try and stay away from a big bowl of cereal..... but might eat a tuna salad sandwich.

It's annoying but try things out and you will eventually find what works for you. Good luck!