Talking yourself into eating the bad instead of the good

Options
I started my weight loss journey 22 days ago, ive been doing fine since this weekend when i went to visit family, i had cheated and went over my cals.. i got home yesterday and have been eating and excercising. Today i have been craving french fries and mayonaise ..... so badllllyy... I know what i need to do just been hard getting back on track..
any advice

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Prepare a serving of oven baked fries, add a salad and a tablespoon mayonnaise and enjoy your meal.
  • jenlindsaymorgan
    Options
    Anytime you are craving something just fix it "healthier" fit it into your calories and have at it. If not you will find yourself pulling through a drive through and chowing down (at least I do!!).
  • caveninit
    caveninit Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Prepare a serving of oven baked fries, add a salad and a tablespoon mayonnaise and enjoy your meal.
    ^^this^^
  • csk0018
    csk0018 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above. Most bad foods can be made healthier at home. I do that -- at least you know what you're putting into it!
  • greentart
    greentart Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I'm going to give you some hard advice. It was advice that I didn't want to hear, but someone had to tell me before I understood.

The only thing that's standing in your way to success.... is you. It's all a mental game change. You had a bad weekend. Accept it, and get over it. Move on. Learn from what triggered it, and say "Well next time, I won't...." or "Next time, I'll need to..." You shouldn't beat yourself over it, because one meal isn't going to break you, just like one meal didn't make you. It's a process, and its a learning curve. You know the phrase "Forgive, but never forget." ? Apply that to your eating. Forgive yourself, but never forget how it made you feel afterwards.

That be said, I've definitely talked myself into poor eating before. I find that if I want to snack mindlessly (when I realize I'm NOT hungry), I try and identify WHY. Am I bored, am I stressed, am I unhappy, am I feeling down, am I about to PMS? Once I identify the reason, I try to address it. If I'm bored, I'll find something to do. Read a book, surf the web, clean the house. SOMETHING. I also find that chewing gum really helps, because it prevents me from snacking. I have to think about taking the gum out of my mouth to put something else in (this is especially helpful if you snack while cooking).

Only you can get your eating back on the right track. The real question is, do you want this bad enough? Do you REALLY want those potatoes over your ultimate goal? Don't give up what you want MOST, for what you want now.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    When I am craving something that I don't think I should eat I log it - looking at the calories can be the deceiding factor in most cases for me. Do I really want to eat it and accept the calories or do I think it is just not worth it? Yesterday I was just out-of-sorts and went home and baked some chocolate chip cookies - I think they made me feel better, I probably would say great if I had not over-baked them slightly.

But this morning I felt better, had a great workout at the gym and life goes on!
  • janessafantasma
    janessafantasma Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I'm going to give you some hard advice. It was advice that I didn't want to hear, but someone had to tell me before I understood.

The only thing that's standing in your way to success.... is you. It's all a mental game change. You had a bad weekend. Accept it, and get over it. Move on. Learn from what triggered it, and say "Well next time, I won't...." or "Next time, I'll need to..." You shouldn't beat yourself over it, because one meal isn't going to break you, just like one meal didn't make you. It's a process, and its a learning curve. You know the phrase "Forgive, but never forget." ? Apply that to your eating. Forgive yourself, but never forget how it made you feel afterwards.

That be said, I've definitely talked myself into poor eating before. I find that if I want to snack mindlessly (when I realize I'm NOT hungry), I try and identify WHY. Am I bored, am I stressed, am I unhappy, am I feeling down, am I about to PMS? Once I identify the reason, I try to address it. If I'm bored, I'll find something to do. Read a book, surf the web, clean the house. SOMETHING. I also find that chewing gum really helps, because it prevents me from snacking. I have to think about taking the gum out of my mouth to put something else in (this is especially helpful if you snack while cooking).

Only you can get your eating back on the right track. The real question is, do you want this bad enough? Do you REALLY want those potatoes over your ultimate goal? Don't give up what you want MOST, for what you want now.

I am so dealing with this same exact issue...I keep wanting to get healthy and making changes and I continue to talk myself out of the healthy eating and into eating crap and then I feel guilty and ashamed and the whole thing starts all over EVEN THOUGH I KNOW IT WILL ONLY MAKE ME FEEL MISERABLE. It is so stupid and yet even though I know it, I just keep doing it. Its like I need to have some kind of dysfunction in my life.
  • janessafantasma
    janessafantasma Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I started my weight loss journey 22 days ago, ive been doing fine since this weekend when i went to visit family, i had cheated and went over my cals.. i got home yesterday and have been eating and excercising. Today i have been craving french fries and mayonaise ..... so badllllyy... I know what i need to do just been hard getting back on track..
    any advice

I deal with the same issues and I tend to overeat when I don't allow myself to eat something that I want. Eating healthy is what we all strive for but I am not one of those people that is going to give up all of the foods that I like to eat...but as others have mentioned, its about finding a healthy way to eat the foods you crave.