A Cheat Meal IS a Cheat Meal

Options

Replies

• Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    if you sometimes want more calories to eat, then offset those calories with extra exercise. if you still come in over your calorie goal some days, then offset it by coming in a little bit under on other days.

this isn't rocket surgery. some people make it much too hard by holding themselves to unrealistic expectations.

This is poor advice and dangerous territory as most people: 1. Overestimate the calories burned in exercise and 2. Don't compensate for the calories later.
    So if the execution is often flawed, that means that the theory is somehow flawed?
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    if you sometimes want more calories to eat, then offset those calories with extra exercise. if you still come in over your calorie goal some days, then offset it by coming in a little bit under on other days.

this isn't rocket surgery. some people make it much too hard by holding themselves to unrealistic expectations.

This is poor advice and dangerous territory as most people: 1. Overestimate the calories burned in exercise and 2. Don't compensate for the calories later.

lolwut?

my advice is spot on.

your objections to it are ridiculous. the fact that some people are undisciplined enough to follow it, does not negate its correctness.

SMH.
  • The_1_Who_Knocks
    The_1_Who_Knocks Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    [/quote]How does having a binge once a week teach self control.[/quote]

Binging once every ten - fourteen days works for me, but I found myself asking the same question lol.

I do it because I want to and I think it wakes up my metabolism. I don't do it because I have to.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    How does having a binge once a week teach self control.

Binging once every ten - fourteen days works for me, but I found myself asking the same question lol.

I do it because I want to and I think it wakes up my metabolism. I don't do it because I have to.
    Well, there is the saying "Everything in moderation. Including moderation."

ETF weird quote thing that I didn't cause...
  • easjer
    easjer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Something that works for you may not work for me because of your own unique history with foods, emotions, and weight loss, and because of my own unique history with foods, emotions and weight loss. Or, to simplify - YMMV.

I don't use the cheat terminology for the reasons already stated - I'm not cheating. I'm not doing anything dishonest. I log what I eat, even if it makes me wince to see the total. I make deliberate choices and hold myself accountable for them. I recognize that if I choose to eat the pop-tarts in my desk, that I am choosing to have a lower deficit today or that I am choosing to work out tonight without knowing how I will feel later. Those are my three options - 1) don't eat what I want when I want it 2) Eat what I want and accept a smaller deficit or choose not to eat something else later in the day 3) Eat what I want and work out to compensate for the additional calories.

Oddly, seeing what kind of workout is needed to burn off the 400 calories of pop-tarts makes me want them much less. . .

Cheating or setting up free days/treats/whatever works really well for some people because they need set rewards, but can't handle the daily grind or would often feel unsatisfied with their caloric intake because they used calories on less nutritionally dense foods - in that case, the reward works well. Others cannot open the door to that kind of abstinence/reward scheme because they lack the ability to stop at satiety levels and would continue to eat poorly. Some people need to plan out everything so they aren't thrown off by surprises. Some people need the flexibility of a weekly goal and the option for a glass of whisky at the end of a hard day. YMMV.

Figure out your own best path. Walk it, run it, bike it, whatever.

As for maintenance - well, again, that goes back to the above. If you are the sort of person who needs to plan in advance, then you will be more successful with maintenance if you plan as much as possible in advance. If you are the sort of person who needs a day off from planning, then you need to do that. But ultimately it all comes back to the central point of a lifestyle change to shed excess weight and keep it off - you have to take responsibility for your actions. If a day off every couple of weeks does that for you - take a day off. If planning a cookie and a mocha into your Saturday morning makes you feel secure with the rest of your choices, plan away. Just continue to take responsibility for your choices and maintain a balance. The end.
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    tumblr_n0nc1dyzUM1t0ihy9o1_1280.jpg
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I notice a lot of people schedule cheat meals, days, etc. At the point where you schedule it, I don't feel it is a "cheat" anymore, but a habitual thing, and kinda defeats the purpose. A cheat to me is the random social gathering, holiday party, etc, where I just say "screw it" and eat what I want, always to excess. I incorporate the "bad" stuff into my days and I don't feel like I'm missing out, and go figure, I don't really get in the mood to cheat very much.

sounds about right.
  • BigVeggieDream
    BigVeggieDream Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    For me a cheat meal doesn't have to be bad. I don't have them very often. Maybe once every couple weeks and I do it in moderation. I'm doing a whole foods diet so bad carbs and fat aren't in my daily meal plan. But once in while it is okay, For example a couple of weeks ago, my eldest son celebrated his birthday. I decided to have some cake and ice cream, but I took modest amounts. My calories for that day were up, but not by very much. I still lost weight that week. I also have type II diabetes. When I checked my blood glucose levels, they had gone up, but like the calories not very much and still well within the safe range.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Has won this thread.

Occasional, controlled and enjoyable over-eating, not one deliberately off-set by heavy exercise, IS part of a normal and healthy relationship with food.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's accurate to say I had cheat meals. I had cheat DAYS!

Still lost 90lbs. Following MFP. So :yawn: is how I feel about all the advice about how wrong I've done things.

This Friday will be two years at maintenance. There's a thread telling me how terrible the Diet Cokes I drink almost daily are for my weight loss. There's this thread saying my cheat meals won't help me reach my goal.

Again :yawn:

The funniest part is both the threads I mentioned come from people who still have weight to lose.

Try telling everyone else what they're doing wrong AFTER you've actually hit your own goals. At least then you might have a shred of credibility.

I think the only people that have issues with cheat meals are just doing it for the short term, we both did it for the long term, we ate what we wanted and had "cheat days" hell I had a "cheat 2 weeks" and still lost 91lbs in 12 months.

The people who complain are more often the ones who fail....

I.C.E. Cream Official Tester
    IKEA Professional Put Together-er
    Kickboxing Class Attender
    Been in fitness for about 2 years and have studied kitty-gif-ology, nutrition and Dinosaurs
  • The_1_Who_Knocks
    Options
    Controllled overeating lol. I know what you mean but that just doesn't sound right lol.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I don't use the term cheat day/meal. I eat what I like day to day within my calorie range. I try to reach my protein goal, as that is the one I most struggle with. I also will have ice cream or dessert if I want it. Once or twice a week I tend to eat above my deficit calorie goal. There are times when I need to due to social occassions or scheduling. There are also times when my body just says eat more. So I do. I am still losing, still reaching my goals. Also, I think it helps with my weight loss. Not a scientific study but my observations were that when I was always at a deficit I lost at a slower rate or stalled. When I had a day or two of higher calories I consistently lost. Could be all in my head though. :wink:

And then there are the days I run half marathons that I eat like 4,000 calories, which is not that often.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    Has won this thread.

Occasional, controlled and enjoyable over-eating, not one deliberately off-set by heavy exercise, IS part of a normal and healthy relationship with food.
    One which has taken me years of swinging between extremes to achieve. :takesbow:
    Controllled overeating lol. I know what you mean but that just doesn't sound right lol.

Why not?

No really... why not?
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options

These "clean" eaters WILL go crazy without a "cheat day" because they havent learned jack **** about moderation. They learned two extremes.

Yup.
    These two quotes are total trash.
    I'm a "clean" eater and I rarely "cheat" and I NEVER feel like I'm going crazy. I'm sorry if most people have the will power of a 3 year old with their cookies and ice cream, but I have just taught myself to love healthy, nutrient dense foods.
    Sure some days I allow myself pizza, or ice cream, or whatever but its rare and never because I'm craving it to the extent that I would go crazy.

In the end it's about what works best for you, and its about what you want to get out of this.
    I am personally training my body to love and crave healthy food, because I'm not just trying to drop a few pounds, I'm trying to make a positive change that I will have for the REST OF MY LIFE.
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining my 66 pound weight loss for two years now.

I've never done cheat meals/cheat days or anything like that. While I was losing weight, I ate whatever I liked and just focused on portion size and total calories. I was careful about logging - all food was weighed and measured. Maintenance has been pretty much the same - eat what I like while focusing on moderation.

I'm sure different things work for different people - for me, labeling foods as good/bad or calling certain meals 'cheats' is not a healthy mindset.

^^^This^^^ :flowerforyou:
  • The_1_Who_Knocks
    Options
    I eat whatever I want once in a while but the idea that someone can't be a "clean" eater without eating junk once in a while is one of the dumbest things I've seen on this website.
  • The_1_Who_Knocks
    Options
    Has won this thread.

One which has taken me years of swinging between extremes to achieve. :takesbow:

Why not?

No really... why not?

Why doesn't it sound right? Because the definition of overeating is "eating too much", which would indicate someone has gone beyond the controls.

I get the concept, just sounds funny. Sounds contradictory. When I overeat, I forget control for that day and just eat whatever I want until I don't feel like it anymore.
  • Clash1001
    Clash1001 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    What works isn't universal.

I'm very much 'if it fits your calories over the course of the week'...I've never had a problem with binging, just wilful ignorance of how many calories are in certain foods coupled with an inactive lifestyle.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Cheat meals don't destine you to fail.

Eating clean doesn't destine you to fail.

Cutting your whopper with cheese into 1/16th slices while weighing out fries and drinking a soda from a dixie cup doesn't destine you to fail.

And there is no reason that any of those methods can't be sustained, they all require a change in habits and the discipline to follow your plan.

The reason that people fail is because they don't know their own poor habits, weaknesses, and how to work around them. They fail because they try to follow what someone else is doing and it doesn't fit with their own temperament.