Gastric Sleeve and VLCD

Options

Replies

• fitkatb
    fitkatb Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The gastric sleeve will reduce the volume capacity of the stomach. Not the calorie capacity. I had a friend that had the lap band surgery and GAINED weight because she was slurping down milkshakes all day. I have another that has totally stalled out on weight loss with the lap band because she refuses to stop drinking sweet tea all day long and eats cookies for breakfast because it's easy to get down.

None of the weight loss surgeries are any more effective than diet and exercise in the long run and have pretty substantial failure rates. The reason: people don't change their behavior.

But that being said, as for your concern about VLCD post op, there are lots of options for getting your calorie count up. I'm not really familiar with the sleeve, but I'm guessing it gives you the restrictive aid of the lap band without decreasing the size of the esophagus, which is what makes it so hard for people to eat some of the foods they really need to be healthy with the lap band. Food that are more calorie dense, like natural peanut butter, avacados, whole milk instead of low fat and the like will be your best option. You'll get (more) sufficient amounts of proteins and good fats and get your calorie count up.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    My question was really only about the metabolic issues/VLCD. It's fine if you want to urge me to rethink, I'm just letting you know /:

My suggestions, every day, no matter what, to minimize the damage you're going to fight every day for the rest of your life:

-Take a multi vitamin (one with iron, calcium, D, B12, iodine (unless you get it in salt))
    -Eat 75 calories of vegies
    -Eat 120 calories of fruit
    -Eat 2 servings of whole grains (whole wheat, brown rice, quinoa, barley, lentil, etc.)
    -lift weights 2x per week
    -walk at least 20 min. every day to maintain bones
    -eat at least 100 g of protein (more is fine)
    -eat at least 30 g of fat (more is fine)
    -eat at least 25 g of fiber (more is fine)
    -drink as much water as you can
    -sleep at least 7 hours
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I had it done at 17 and have regretted it every single day. Guess what? Nearly nine years later and I'm still trying to lose the weight.
  • dj59lane
    dj59lane Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I had the bypass about 20 months ago for me it was a health issue. I have lost 95 lbs and have had months when I didn't lose anything.
    if I may give you a few pointers.
    1. This is your journey, the clinic knows what works, if you follow the program, go on the boards etc it will work.
    2. People will tell you this is the easy way out it's not. You have to unlearn bad habits, refuse food from others and you may throw up alot.
    3. You will only eat about 500 calories the first few months. Even now I only eat 1000-1200 per day generally lower than that.
    4. Food will taste different, one day something will be fine for you the next not so much it's alot of trial and error.
    5. Don't worry about calories worry about getting the protien you are required to-- find the foods that work best for you.
    6. Start eating a modified diet now, lots of chciken, protein drinks, taking your vitamins I did this for 2 months before and it made the trasisition easier.
    Finally be cautious about who you tell people judge.
    If you ever want to chat privately please message me.
    Best of luck
    Deb
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I dunno, eating 6-8 times per day and being physically unable to eat medium/larger portions for the rest of your life sounds pretty bad. There are plenty of procedures that I would still opt not to do, even if my insurance offered to cover it. Insurance paying for something is not a good reason to make a life-altering decision.

Just my $0.02, but you can't sit here and say that people who eat 1200 calories or follow VLCDs are upsetting and then turn around and pursue a gastric sleeve. You will be on a VLCD after having the procedure done and it's no more or less healthy for you then than if you simply followed a VLCD with doctor supervision today without the operation. You'll still have to deal with the potential lack of energy and the possibility of malnutrition unless you stick closely to your planned diet. Going this route is basically forcing yourself to follow a VLCD because you're having the majority of your stomach surgically removed... seems a lot more extreme than the people who eat 1200 calories on MFP.

Not saying it's the wrong decision, but ... well, maybe I am. :tongue: You've lost the weight before, so you know you can do it again. This just seems like an easy out (but one that also alters your life and not necessarily for the better).
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of assumptions being made here by people who have not had the surgery...but that is all I will say about that.

I had the sleeve done 10/11/12. I have lost 143 pounds to date and I am now maintaining for about the last six months. I work out 4 days per week - bodycombat - weight training. I get between 1,200 and 1,500 calories per day.

I do not feel deprived, I feel satisfied, I eat vegetables and protein, low carb (but some carbs) and I also enjoy a treat (chocolate, ice cream, et cetera)

I have learned and every day is a new commitment to making good food choices and taking care of my body.
    Although I know and believe that people can either not lose a significant amount of weight or gain it back, it has to be something
    where they truly have not made any changes, are choosing to eat calorie dense, but not nutritious or filling foods.

I can totally see myself committed to this new way of life and eating forever. It was a tool I needed. Not everyone needs it, but those that do, it is not a quick fix but a tool that helps us meet our goals to live a healthy and full life.

Once I was back on solid food I ate about 600 calories per day for a good 6 months, then 700, then 800. I was probably at 800 till about a year and moved up to 1,000 and at 1 1/2 years 1,200.

I sometimes eat my calories back from exercise (400 - 600 per workout) if I "need" them. If I don't, I don't. Some days I am hungrier than other days. I try to listen to my body and think of food as fuel. I want to fuel my vessel the very best I can, so I choose foods that will do that.

HTH! Good luck.

So basically, a synopsis yes 600 to 800 calories for the first year was my experience. After that 1,000 to 1,200 and now that maintaining I am shooting for 1,200 to 1,500.

Eeeep!
    Thank you, this was exactly what I was wondering.
    Maybe I was only seeing answers from people within the first year.
    Although I'm sure even that one year will take a hit on my metabolism >>
    Thank you thank you again :D
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I had the bypass about 20 months ago for me it was a health issue. I have lost 95 lbs and have had months when I didn't lose anything.
    if I may give you a few pointers.
    1. This is your journey, the clinic knows what works, if you follow the program, go on the boards etc it will work.
    2. People will tell you this is the easy way out it's not. You have to unlearn bad habits, refuse food from others and you may throw up alot.
    3. You will only eat about 500 calories the first few months. Even now I only eat 1000-1200 per day generally lower than that.
    4. Food will taste different, one day something will be fine for you the next not so much it's alot of trial and error.
    5. Don't worry about calories worry about getting the protien you are required to-- find the foods that work best for you.
    6. Start eating a modified diet now, lots of chciken, protein drinks, taking your vitamins I did this for 2 months before and it made the trasisition easier.
    Finally be cautious about who you tell people judge.
    If you ever want to chat privately please message me.
    Best of luck
    Deb

To me, this sounds like the exact opposite of the easy way out...
  • CCoughenour
    Options
    I had the sleeve in October of 2012. I lost 90 and then got pregnant. I was eating 500 calories a day and during pregnancy ate 1500 (religiously, plus I had hyperemesis and threw up 20+ times a day) and gained 60 pounds. The surgery totally screwed my metabolism and now I'm doing Keto because regular calorie deficit doesn't work unless I'm netting only 500 a day. I wouldn't say I regret it, but your entire body changes and I don't respond to nutrition or medication the same way anymore. I'm working hard to restore my metabolism but my insulin resistance is worse. Some people can diet like a normal person after the surgery but I was not one of them. Good luck with what ever you decide, no one can tell you if it's right for you or not.
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I appreciate that you guys aren't supportive of the surgery, but I've made up my mind.

You should at least wait until your prefrontal cortex is fully developed before making a decision regarding an irreversable procedure that you will have to live with the consequences of for the rest of your life. Of course I've not been in your shoes, but I think it is a bad idea.
    My question was really only about the metabolic issues/VLCD.

I haven't had the surgery or anything but I just see no way it could be healthy. I think you are very astute in making the connection that the procedure will force you to eat VLCD and the nutritional challenges that will be a result of that restriction. Since you already stated there is no way you are going to change your mind about all I can say is you better make sure what few calories you get are VERY nutrient dense. I'm also not sure how you are going to eat in a manner to support muscle mass, which will be needed to help keep your metabolism up. From what I have seen, those with this procedure end up still having high body fat percentage most the time. I'm not sure if it is because they can't eat enough protein to support the LBM or if they choose not to, but I think it is something to consider.

Good luck (don't do it)! :-)
  • dj59lane
    dj59lane Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear someone else weighting in on the bypass/sleeve
  • youngdreamer
    youngdreamer Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    My starting weight was practically the same as yours. By just eating 80% of my TDEE + exercise calories, I've lost 80 pounds in 9 months & still lose about 1 - 1.5lbs every week. Please... don't resort to such drastic measures. You're SO young, you can do this on your own. If I could do it, you surely can. Shoot me a PM or add me as a friend if you want to talk.
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I had the sleeve in October of 2012. I lost 90 and then got pregnant. I was eating 500 calories a day and during pregnancy ate 1500 (religiously, plus I had hyperemesis and threw up 20+ times a day) and gained 60 pounds. The surgery totally screwed my metabolism and now I'm doing Keto because regular calorie deficit doesn't work unless I'm netting only 500 a day. I wouldn't say I regret it, but your entire body changes and I don't respond to nutrition or medication the same way anymore. I'm working hard to restore my metabolism but my insulin resistance is worse. Some people can diet like a normal person after the surgery but I was not one of them. Good luck with what ever you decide, no one can tell you if it's right for you or not.

That's a little scary /:
    I'll have to bring that up, too.
    I'm literally like sitting here with a notepad writing things down that people say xD
  • suejersey
    suejersey Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of assumptions being made here by people who have not had the surgery...but that is all I will say about that.

I had the sleeve done 10/11/12. I have lost 143 pounds to date and I am now maintaining for about the last six months. I work out 4 days per week - bodycombat - weight training. I get between 1,200 and 1,500 calories per day.

I do not feel deprived, I feel satisfied, I eat vegetables and protein, low carb (but some carbs) and I also enjoy a treat (chocolate, ice cream, et cetera)

I have learned and every day is a new commitment to making good food choices and taking care of my body.
    Although I know and believe that people can either not lose a significant amount of weight or gain it back, it has to be something
    where they truly have not made any changes, are choosing to eat calorie dense, but not nutritious or filling foods.

I can totally see myself committed to this new way of life and eating forever. It was a tool I needed. Not everyone needs it, but those that do, it is not a quick fix but a tool that helps us meet our goals to live a healthy and full life.

Once I was back on solid food I ate about 600 calories per day for a good 6 months, then 700, then 800. I was probably at 800 till about a year and moved up to 1,000 and at 1 1/2 years 1,200.

I sometimes eat my calories back from exercise (400 - 600 per workout) if I "need" them. If I don't, I don't. Some days I am hungrier than other days. I try to listen to my body and think of food as fuel. I want to fuel my vessel the very best I can, so I choose foods that will do that.

HTH! Good luck.

So basically, a synopsis yes 600 to 800 calories for the first year was my experience. After that 1,000 to 1,200 and now that maintaining I am shooting for 1,200 to 1,500.

Eeeep!
    Thank you, this was exactly what I was wondering.
    Maybe I was only seeing answers from people within the first year.
    Although I'm sure even that one year will take a hit on my metabolism >>
    Thank you thank you again :D

Feel free to look at my diary. I TRY to fill it out every day. I love my new life. I love what I eat. I have energy to enjoy my family, clean my house, kick butt at body combat. I have muscles (not just because I lost the fat, but because I am MAKING bigger muscles). It can be done! I am doing it. But it will be something that I have to be conscious of the rest of my life (just like anyone else who wants to be fit and healthy - surgery or no surgery). Like I said, I never feel deprived. At the holidays I enjoy a little bit of everything. I no longer feel the need to have ice cream every night but if I want it one night, fine, a little hits the spot. That is the help the sleeve gives.

I love being low carb - as it helps with the cravings for crap foods, but I do eat some whole grain items and have experimented with coconut flour, almond flour, sugar substitutes, et cetera. Protein is yummy and never gets boring.

Good luck!
  • kjo9692
    kjo9692 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I appreciate that you guys aren't supportive of the surgery, but I've made up my mind.

You should at least wait until your prefrontal cortex is fully developed before making a decision regarding an irreversable procedure that you will have to live with the consequences of for the rest of your life. Of course I've not been in your shoes, but I think it is a bad idea.

This. I don't know, if you don't change your eating habits this sounds like a miserable way to go. I could not give up on my cheating Fridays/Saturdays. It's altering your life forever! When you can do it on your own (since you've done it before). It's much easier doing it the natural way. Unless you have major health issues that prevent you from exercising, or other stuff like that.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Believe me it is possible to eat calories after surgery. I had a procedure similar to today's gastric sleeve back in 1997. I lost about 80 lbs, which was short of my goal. Then over the years gained almost all of it back. I later learned that this was not uncommon for those who had the same procedure I had. I believe the sleeves done today are better, but it is still possible to eat calories with a smaller stomach.

Now I'm losing weight on 1800 calories per day which is still a significant deficit. My pouch (similar to the sleeve) is still in place and does still help restrict my portion sizes. I had to go back and reapply some of the guidelines I was given after surgery about eating protein first and not drinking liquids before during or after a meal.

I am fortunate and I have had relatively few side effects from the surgery. However when my doctor suggested I might want to consider a revision to convert my pouch to one of the more modern methods, I didn't want to run the risk of more side effects. I decided to see if I could lose it with a calorie deficit and exercise. 5 months later I actually weigh less than my lowest point after surgery.
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    :(

Gastric sleeve at 18...

I applaud you for wanting to take control of things. But surgery? You have so many more options and so much time to learn how to make good choices. Don't start a life where you take the "quick" way.

I'm telling you with all the love I can spread over the internet: WAIT. Learn good habits. Make friends with people who can help and inspire you.

I actually lost 100 pounds a few years ago and regained >< I said no to the surgery at 15, but I feel like I'm in a place where I can handle it. I have a few weight-related health issues, so I think it's the best thing for me right now.

Thank you though, I totally understand where you're coming from.

You very well might re-gain it this time, too, only this time you will be left with a permanently altered stomach. It happens all the time. One of my close friends lost and gained weight several times over. She eventually had the gastric sleeve (she weighed approximately 280 at the time) in Dec. 2010 and lost maybe 60 pounds in the following year. Guess how much she weighs now? Over 300. She gained 20 pounds in just three months last year! I know several other people who have gained the weight back after the surgery, but she is the one whose situation I know the most about.

Regardless of how you go about it, you have to learn how to manage your eating. The organ you need to be concerned with is your brain.

This is a really good point. If you are forced to lose weight because you can't fit anymore calories in your stomach, you're not learning how to eat properly on the way down. This is one of the reasons that the majority of people that have weight loss surgery or lose weight with meal replacement shakes almost always gain all the weight back and more because they used a gimmick to lose the weight, then once it was lost went back to their old ways.

I appreciate that you guys aren't supportive of the surgery, but I've made up my mind. I know how to eat well, I just sometimes have trouble doing it. I was able to maintain for two years on my own and then ended up making poor decisions that caused me to regain the weight. I decided that surgery will be a helpful tool in starting to lose again and then maintaining, especially given my medical problems, and I am having it done on May 30th with the full support of my family and friends who were also there during my "natural" weight loss.

My question was really only about the metabolic issues/VLCD. It's fine if you want to urge me to rethink, I'm just letting you know /:

You sound exactly like my friend. She supposedly did lots of research and knew how to eat. (As I said, she had successfully lost weight before-- around 70 or 80 pounds.) Look at her now. She is heavier now than she has ever been.

Bottom line, the gastric sleeve is not the answer. You still have to count calories and watch portions strictly. Follow your doctor's orders to the T. All the stuff that would normally result in weight loss anyway but without permanently altering an organ.

And I agree with those who pointed out the conflict between your concern about a VCLD but then having gastric sleeve. You may not have to stick to VCLD forever, but to keep the weight off you will never be able to eat the way other people do again without making yourself sick. (While my friend was stretching her stomach out, she got very sick any time she ate what I would consider a normal amount of food in one meal. She no longer gets sick now, but now she is fat.)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I actually lost 100 pounds a few years ago and regained >< I said no to the surgery at 15, but I feel like I'm in a place where I can handle it. I have a few weight-related health issues, so I think it's the best thing for me right now.

Most sleevers regain the weight.

If you can't develop the necessary tools to lose and maintain before the sleeve, five years from now you'll be right back in the same place.

This whole thing is putting the cart before the horse....
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

HTH! Good luck.

Maintaining at 1200 to 1500? Forever? For the rest of your life? That's an incredibly low maintenance.

OP you could probably eat 1600 calories for 2 years and get to the weight you want, then eat 2000 calories for the rest of your life.

I lose at 2000, and maintain at 2300.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    This is why I disagree with surgery, if you can't control your eating without it, what happens after surgery? It doesn't fix the first problem.

Every single person I have know to have the surgery has gained back all of the weight or more. When you cut to a VLCD and then go back to normal habits, that's what happens.

About 20% of people gain back the weight .
  • kjo9692
    kjo9692 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    This is why I disagree with surgery, if you can't control your eating without it, what happens after surgery? It doesn't fix the first problem.

Every single person I have know to have the surgery has gained back all of the weight or more. When you cut to a VLCD and then go back to normal habits, that's what happens.

About 20% of people gain back the weight .

I think you meant 80%?