New Ideas

Options
Hi,
I am looking for dinner ideas. Specifically I need satisfying, inexpensive, crowd pleasing options. Oh and that take little time to prepare. I work full time and have kids and a husband to feed but want to look at some healthier options for my family. We are "meat and potatoes" kind of people. I love crockpot and freezer cooking!

Replies

• melanie_12345
    Options
    Lentil chili is my go-to winter meal. Its relatively easy to make, all goes in one pot, and works great frozen! Just search around on google for a good recipe.
  • ceciliaruns
    ceciliaruns Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My healthier enchilada casserole is delicious!!! I love the low carb whole grain tortillas.
    http://www.readysetyum.com/1/post/2014/01/healthier-lower-carb-enchilada-casserole.html
  • ceciliaruns
    ceciliaruns Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Here's my "meat and potatoes "dish...soooo good and healthier too!!!
    http://www.readysetyum.com/1/post/2014/01/healthier-turkey-shepherds-pie.html
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Crockpot, yo
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Lentils are a great alternative even if you are "meat and potatoes" people. I made lentil burgers and my family loved them. They were healthier and even quicker than meat burgers. You can also add them to meat dishes to stretch your protein dollar. In a crockpot beef stew, red lentils "melt" down to become a thick sauce.
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest shepherd's pie, too, because you can use any lean ground meat in it (I often get veal in the bargain bin and it's great for this). I usually do 3 or 4 of the meat/veggie mixture and freeze them, then when I have leftover mashed potatoes I can just pull one out and have an easy dinner all set to go.

how about that recipe that is black beans, salsa, and cream cheese in the crockpot, topped with chicken breasts -- would your family go for that one?

I buy bags of frozen chicken tenders, make up several bags of marinade, and plunk the frozen tender in and freeze. Then I can pull one out in the morning and it is thawed and ready to cook in the evening.

Make pulled pork in the crockpot using a lean pork roast, add BBQ or Mexican flavorings, freeze. Easy BBQ sandwiches or burritos.

Beef stew using lean beef, go easy on the potatoes.

This one is always a hit in my house:

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/southwest-beef-stew?refurl=&_mid=2271465&_rid=2271465.1311011177.175304

I think that you can adjust all of the above to be lower-cal for you while you are losing weight, by going easy on the mashed potatoes/beans/breads/cheese
  • chunkybun
    chunkybun Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    My favorite super quick crockpot recipe I share all over the place because it's so damn good.

Line bottom of crockpot with apple slices (I use Granny Smith)
    Top with turkey breasts
    Add another layer of apple slices
    Add 1 can cranberry sauce

Cook on low 8 hours, serve with potatoes and/ or steamed veggies = turkey dinner with no fuss.
  • targotoff
    targotoff Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Cut tomatoes in half and put in a baking dish. Sprinkle olive oil and garlic on top. Cook for 20 mins at 400d degrees. Take out of oven and put either diced raw chicken or shrimp on top of tomatoes and put some feta cheese on. Cook for another 20 minutes or chicken is cooked. Is great on spaghetti. We use Quinoa spaghetti which is really good.
    It is soooo yummy and easy.