Putting on weight eating fruit?!

Options
Recently I changed my diet to avoid gluten and milk, I think I'm intolerant and just waiting for blood tests. I haven't been eating any junk food. I usually eat tuna and chicken, salad, gluten free sauces, dark chocolate, nuts(not a lot) and because I can't eat things I would normally snack on I've been eating a lot of fruit. I'll usually eat a large orange in the morning and then a small banana. Later on after lunch I will probably have an apple, and a kiwi. After dinner I will probably have another apple or banana.
My fitness pal says that I am eating far too much vitamin C, are there any negative effects of this? And how am I putting on weight (7lbs, my weight does fluctuate).
Also I am 5ft10 150lbs usually, I eat about 1500-1800 calories a day, I also go the gym or do pilates at least 3 times a week.

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    there is no down side to having too much vitamin C unless your dr tells you otherwise from blood tests... Fruit has calories in it too.. so make sure you account for those.
  • Kagaaa
    Kagaaa Posts: 5
    Options
    I always log my fruit and veg and account for those calories.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Contrary to the "ignore sugar from fruit" crowd, yes too much sugar from fruit can be detrimental to some people, especially those with metabolic disorder. Excess vitamin C is likely not a concern at all though. Too much sugar can cause inflammation (water gain) even if you didn't actually gain fat.

But, you are 5'10 and 150? You don't need to lose weight.
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    But, you are 5'10 and 150? You don't need to lose weight.

Exactly - I'm 5'10 and my goal weight is 160
  • Kagaaa
    Options
    But everyone carries weight differently, and I could definitely do with losing weight on my stomach which is my problem area.
  • AnnetteCorrado983
    Options
    fruits=carbs and turn into sugar. I can only eat a small amount of fruit because I am in the low carb
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Unless there's something medical going on, if you're eating at a deficit you'll lose. I eat a copious amount of fruit without any ill effects or weight gain. Like. ..4 oranges, a banana, two apples a day kind of fruit intake. ..so...
  • Kagaaa
    Options
    I am eating at a deficit and some days, like once a week, I might go up to 2200 but I'm 5ft10 so that's not exactly too much, yet I've been plateaued for about 3 months and since eating more fruit put on weight!
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    what's your body fat%? Maybe you don't really need to lose weight, per se. Maybe what you need to do is drop body fat%
  • kmglennie
    kmglennie Posts: 40
    Options
    Why not try replacing the fruit for veg for a week, and see if there's any difference? I see you're accounting for the calories there, and fruit can be a sugar/starch bomb. Do you count macros?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    what's your body fat%? Maybe you don't really need to lose weight, per se. Maybe what you need to do is drop body fat%

This.

If you are truly eating at a deficit, you are not gaining real pounds.
  • Kagaaa
    Options
    Well I have home scales that say it is around 26% but I used scales at the gym that said it is 20.4%, personally from looking I would say it's about 24%.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I'd pick one of the scales to use as my benchmark (since they're both just estimates and have a large margin of error), and then create a goal of dropping, say, 5 of the body fat %. So if 26%, then set a goal of 21%. Then lift heavy weights, keep eating at maintenance, do a bit of cardio, a bit of HIIT, and do that for 6 months and see what happens.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    you need to focus more on weight loss and less on losing weight. You're at a healthy weight and BF% already...your body isn't exactly going to be super accommodating in RE to dropping more.
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I think you need to eat more. I'm 5'11", and have recently increased my weight from 143 to 165, I look much better now.
    I started eating more (2500 or so most days) and started lifting weights. Even though my weight is higher, my waist is smaller.
    Try it, you do not need to lose.