Will you spend the rest of your life counting calories?

Options
124»

Replies

• beertrollruss
    beertrollruss Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    If I'm not counting calories daily and weighing myself weekly, my weight goes up. Tracking food will have to be a daily task for me, like brushing my teeth. My eyes are definitely bigger than my stomach.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Yes, but technically, I don't count calories, MFP does it for me. MFP makes it easy, and it takes very little time, which frees me up to scroll through the forums.

If I ever quit logging my food and exercise, it'll be because I'm spending too much time here and not enough on facebook.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I figure I'll keep it up as long as I can unless I'm diagnosed with a terminal disease or dementia. At that point, I'm going to stop caring, have fun, and if my heart is what ends up taking me out of the game, at least I'll be carefree.
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    This is a Catch-22 for me. When I quit counting calories my weight goes up, but I have zero success counting calories in Nov-Dec because of the hours I work. Since the MFP app on my phone doesn't work I get out of the habit of counting, but still lose weight because of work. Then January hits and I don't want to go back to thinking about food so much so I don't start logging again and weight comes back.

I really think I'm going to try the alternating day 500 calorie "fasts" once I get myself off Mountain Dew (caffeine headaches suck) because that is something I can maintain long term with minimal calorie counting.
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    No I will not. I didn't count for 6 months before a couple weeks ago. I was maintaining my weight and taking a break. I did fine, I am back to logging to lose a little more. Once I get to where I want to be, I will gradually stop counting again.
  • fairygirlpie9
    fairygirlpie9 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I have an addictive personality by nature and it is combined with a relative lack of self control. Where I previously used to eat at every opportunity I have found a new addiction which is logging and weighing everything. The reality is that I will probably more or less have to do this for life - which is ok with me especially as I spent many years believing that I was a normal weight when I was actually obese.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    And, MFP is not just calorie counting.

I just purged my food list of foods I no longer eater, and just by keeping track, I can see that I'm eating healthier.

So, I'm not just counting calories, I'm looking at other factors: where my calories are coming from, how much exercise I'm getting and when I look at charts, how my weight fluctuates during the course of a given time period.

So, I would say that I'll stop counting calories (and by using MFP monitoring what I eat) when I stop caring about my health.