HIIT without too much leg muscle building?

Options
Hey all,

I'm looking for a high intensity interval training cardio program that isn't centered around squats and building up leg muscle. I'm a female who is super prone to building leg muscle and I'm hoping to find something that will slim me down, allow me to burn calories quickly, without bulking me up like crazy. I've tried Insanity and I'm a huge fan of the intensity of the workouts, but I hate that it's mostly leg-based. If anyone has any suggestions for something as intense, I would greatly appreciate it!

Replies

• Kaylee_Loren
    Kaylee_Loren Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Sprints.
  • Anonymouze
    Options
    These workouts are awesome!!
    :flowerforyou: http://www.12minuteathlete.com/
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    Sprints.

The best HIIT that you can do.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Sprints.

On your hands? HIIT is muscle sparing, I don't know about muscle building. You can look up swimming HIIT, if you're a swimmer. YouTube has a lot of HIIT videos, if you have a way to work out near your computer, or tv. I get it through the Wii.

ETA I'm going by your "not mostly leg based" request, not saying sprints aren't a great option.
  • Kaylee_Loren
    Kaylee_Loren Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Sprints.

The best HIIT that you can do.

Let's be friends :wink:
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    So did Insanity increase the size of your legs? Were you eating at a deficit?
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

I'm looking for a high intensity interval training cardio program that isn't centered around squats and building up leg muscle. I'm a female who is super prone to building leg muscle and I'm hoping to find something that will slim me down, allow me to burn calories quickly, without bulking me up like crazy. I've tried Insanity and I'm a huge fan of the intensity of the workouts, but I hate that it's mostly leg-based. If anyone has any suggestions for something as intense, I would greatly appreciate it!
    In for before and after tape measurements.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I highly doubt you are building muscle doing Insanity's cardio workouts.
  • Housekat61
    Housekat61 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I sprint on the elliptical ..its has not bulked me up at all but it did firm my behind a little bit!
  • Staniel_2013
    Staniel_2013 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    If the gym you go to has them.... Muscle Ropes.

Think of them like wind sprints for your arms.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    pics of legs please
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

In for before and after tape measurements.

In...for ^this...

...and if true, to get some of whatever it is that she's got.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Built muscle doing Insanity? Pics? Measurements? Anything togive us an idea of how much muscle is actually being built, beyond your own perception.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-18321-1334679990-18.gif

Seriously? LOVE your legs. Love what they are. Love what they do for you.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I highly doubt you are building muscle doing Insanity's cardio workouts

^This
    pics of legs please

^...and This
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-18321-1334679990-18.gif

Seriously? LOVE your legs. Love what they are. Love what they do for you.
    Gosh, that looks like fun!! I bet you could do that on a mini-tramp.
    /duckingandrunning
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I second sprints but add that most of the original HIIT workouts and research was done on a stationary bike. Rowing machine would be a good option too.

Also agree with what the others have said that you probably didn't build much muscle doing insantity. I'm guessing you lost a bit of fat though which means you can see the muscles you already had better. Since fat loss seems to be your primary goal then nice work!!!
  • emmayarewhy
    Options
    Hey, thanks so much for all the amazing feedback and I'm sorry for the late reply - I didn't get any notifications. Anyway, I played competitive soccer growing up and after taking a hiatus, my legs slimmed down. Sadly, now that my metabolism is slowing down, I'm getting chubbier.

Here's a picture that was taken two weeks ago after approximately a month of Insanity. I know I'm healthy, relatively fit, and I could hypothetically learn to love them, but I'm hoping that I can work out in a way that can make me more proportional by building leaner muscle.

My thighs grew from 21.6 inches to 22 inches and my calves grew from 15 inches to 15.6 inches.

Here's a picture - http://imgur.com/TMXPk9G. I unfortunately don't have a before :(
  • emmayarewhy
    Options

I looked them up and they look awesome! Right now, I use my gym at school which is extreeeemely low budget. Do they have these at most gyms?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I looked them up and they look awesome! Right now, I use my gym at school which is extreeeemely low budget. Do they have these at most gyms?

battle ropes are great- I <3 them very much.

most gyms don't have them- but you might be able to request them.
    I'm hoping that I can work out in a way that can make me more proportional by building leaner muscle
    If you figure out how to build lean muscle - let me know. That would make me millions.