I need some exercise tips

Options
I had a seperated pelvis during my pregnancy - gave birth via c-section 7 months ago.
My pelvis is much much better (can finally walk again, yay!) but I don't know what exercises I can do and how hard to push myself. I'm allowed to exercise now but I don't know where to start. (Upper body is okay I can lift some weights and box).

I walk everyday and try to use the stationary bike as much as I can but my pelvic area gets really sore if I walk for too long (I've built up to about an hour at a good pace walking with two dogs and a baby) and I can't seem to ride the bike for more than 20 minutes without being super sore.

Is there a lower body exercise that can be done with your legs together?

Has anyone else had this problem?

Replies

• Chug_n_Fly
    Chug_n_Fly Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I had a seperated pelvis during my pregnancy - gave birth via c-section 7 months ago.
    My pelvis is much much better (can finally walk again, yay!) but I don't know what exercises I can do and how hard to push myself. I'm allowed to exercise now but I don't know where to start. (Upper body is okay I can lift some weights and box).

I walk everyday and try to use the stationary bike as much as I can but my pelvic area gets really sore if I walk for too long (I've built up to about an hour at a good pace walking with two dogs and a baby) and I can't seem to ride the bike for more than 20 minutes without being super sore.

Is there a lower body exercise that can be done with your legs together?

Has anyone else had this problem?
  • dancegirl1
    Options
    I have not experianced any thing like that...but if I were to try to think of a good strengthening exersize, I would say perhaps a pool workout? That way it is no impact, but the water creates 12x more resistance than being on land. So walking in a pool, hanging onto the wall doing kicks, leg raises, leg swings, 'marching', sidesteps, squats, etc etc - all of that stuff will (hopefully) not feel painful or difficult but it will be working all the major and minor muscle groups. The resistance of the water will help to engage even the smallest muscles. I believe that water is a wonderful tool, it helps in so so so many ways...I hope it can work for you!!!
  • Chug_n_Fly
    Chug_n_Fly Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    thanks that's a great tip! i don't swim so i never thought of that.
  • jlwhelan1
    jlwhelan1 Posts: 664
    Options
    The best thing I did for myself after having babies and having issues lingering issues was to see a physical therapist who specialized in women's health. She helped me understand what my body could do, and the safe and effective steps to get it where I wanted. If this is something you can do for yourself I would recommend it. I think it only took about 3 - 4 visits for me to be able to continue without guidance.

Good luck.
  • jamdblake4
    jamdblake4 Posts: 179
    Options
    how about a exercise ball you put it on the wall and lean into it and squat. the ball comes with a whole list of things to do, I've never had anyone with the problem you have but I have trained some people over 65 and I have them do lots of work on the exercise ball.
  • lenmana
    lenmana Posts: 171
    Options
    Yeah, a good swim class really helps you tone at least that's what I noticed the most when I did them. Sometimes the YMCA even gives kayaking lessons and you get a great upper body work out doing that. Just rowing of any kind...at a state park, public lake where you can get out and do that too. I wonder if you used stability ball exercises would make things a little less painful on the lower body????
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Well, 2 posters already offered the advice I was going to give but I'll second them anyway! I'm a certified personal trainer with pre- and post-natal specialization and you should definitely take the time to see a physical therapist familiar with women's health because, despite recovery, you could risk long-term injuries by trying things without that kind of educated guidance. And swimming is GREAT. You can do light flutter kicks along with mostly arm work to take it easy on your pelvis. If you were a client of mine I would ask you to see a phys. therapist before proceeding with a plan.