Loosing weight with JUST mfp

Options

Replies

• AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Yes. Every pound I've lost has been through MFP.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Yes, many. I've lost 25 (and intentionally gained >25) by manipulating my CICO.

However, the number MFP gives you at the beginning is just an estimate. There are a lot of variables in that number, some you can easily change in the setup, and some you may need to tweak based on your experience.

Start with whatever number it gives you. Consistently hit that number. Weight and/or measure everything you eat. Accurately log your exercise as best you can. Consistency and accuracy in your logging is crucial. After some period of time...say, 4-6 weeks...reevaluate your progress. Losing too quickly? Awesome. Increase your daily calories. (Easiest way to do this is in your activity setting on MFP.) Not losing quickly enough? (Are you sure? I mean, let's be serious here...if you're losing a pound or two per week, that's quickly enough). Then drop your calories a little lower. Once you have this new number, then repeat...as in, hit this new number consistently and accurately for some period of time and reevaluate. Repeat this whole cycle a few times and you'll find the number that works for you *at that point in your life*. See, even when you find the *right* number, it changes as you progress towards your goal...which is why you have to constantly reevaluate and tweak if you want to keep making progress.

Best of luck.

I think at the moment mfp has given me the lowest amount of calories you can have, 1200.. I didn't choose this but I suppose its because of the time scale I set or something, I'm quite happy with it at present but haven't really done it long enough to assess yet :) thanks for the advice I will keep an eye on it.

You probably don't want this to turn into a "1200" thread, so I'll just give my thoughts as uncontroversially as I can:

All else being equal, it is better if you can make satisfactory progress towards your goals while eating more calories compared to eating fewer calories. You're more likely to have more energy, better nutrition, and better adherence (among undoubtedly other reasons). Yes, there are people for whom 1200 is the correct number. However, I believe there are a great many who *believe* that 1200 is the correct number for them when it most certainly is not. The best (IMHO) way to determine this is to try a higher number for a period of time and see how it goes. (This is where my 4-6 week plan works so well. Even if you find out that you need to eat fewer calories, you now have 4-6 weeks of solid adherence and some habits from which you can begin tweaking.) Perhaps go back into your settings and select slower weight loss. (Note: just because MFP says you're going to lose X pounds/week doesn't necessarily mean that's what's going to happen...either direction.)

I do not know your weight. I do not know your height. I do not know your activity level. All of these are important to the equation. Even if I knew all of these things, I *still* couldn't tell you definitively whether or not 1200 is the *right* number for you at this time.
  • LAduke91
    LAduke91 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    This is all great information! Keep it up everyone!
  • jardimgirl
    jardimgirl Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    see ticker below...the first 25 I did on my own but the rest just MFP and logging/weighing my food.

You don't need a special "diet" or "supplements" or "shakes" to lose weight you just need a calorie deficet...

Heck you don't even need exercise...that is for health.

Won't exercises help shape your body though?
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I didn't follow any diet.

I set MFP to the recommended settings when I started (ie - 1 lb per week loss) and tried my best to stay in my calories.

Seems to have worked.
  • RickMckc
    RickMckc Posts: 38
    Options
    Yep - I lost almost 35lbs when I tracked and ate the suggested amount of calories. When I stopped last summer I gained back almost 20. I've lost 12 so far this year - again - simply by tracking and, of course, stopping when I am at the point of done according to MFP.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    You're better off focusing on exercise first to be honest. I just read a study at work (I want to saw out of UW-Lacrosse) but I don't remember for sure that said you're more likely to stick with a plan if you focus on exercise first. If you're really convinced to start with diet just know you can be skinny by using diet alone, but you'll never be healthy and your risk for heart diseases, diabetes, etc will be increased compared to people who are overweight and workout. So, seriously think about incorporating regular exercise later on.

I don't know that I agree with this rationale or its conclusions.

Personally, when not tracking food calories, if I increase my exercise (say, by 500 calories), then I want...nay, *need* with the burning passion of a thousand suns...to eat at least 1000 calories. Sure, this may eventually level off...not sure as I haven't followed it to its inevitable conclusion...but it could be difficult for someone new to the game to push through.

Also, I haven't heard the non-exercising skinny person is at greater risk of diabetes and heart disease than an exercising overweight person. This is actually counter to my understanding that obesity trumps fitness for most health risks. Would love to see a cite to that conclusion.
  • RickMckc
    RickMckc Posts: 38
    Options
    And I should add I didn't follow any special diet. If I ate ice cream or cookies or ... I just recorded them in the diary. Eventually, you realize that you CAN eat that stuff but you can eat lots more if you eat good stuff, which is sort of like a diet.

In the end - though there are some who would disagree with me - it really is calories in calories out.
  • acknan
    acknan Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Rather annoyingly, eating less/better and exercising really does work. 40 lbs down. No specific diet, just staying within calories. I even eat french fries and other "naughty" foods when I want!
  • beachylove
    beachylove Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have been there done that with other "diets" so when I started looking at everything I decided to learn how to eat healthy.
    This has been a great tool, been fully active on it since 1/3/2014 and so far seen great results with calorie deficit and exercise. What I have found personally is this is the best/easiest to stick to as I can have normal food...its all about portions and learning your macros. As long as I am within them I see the results :happy:

Welcome and best of luck :flowerforyou:
  • CharleeCali
    CharleeCali Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    see ticker below...the first 25 I did on my own but the rest just MFP and logging/weighing my food.

You don't need a special "diet" or "supplements" or "shakes" to lose weight you just need a calorie deficet...

Heck you don't even need exercise...that is for health.

Won't exercises help shape your body though?

Yes, definitely. I've lost weight before without exercising, and I didn't fit back into clothes I should have at that weight.
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    14lbs so far using Myfitnesspal! I have, in the past, lost a little weight by eating better but that always involved NO treats ever and the weight loss always stalled at around 6lbs so that was useless. Of course, back then I had no clue about portion control. With MyFitnessPal, I eat treats (for example ice cream) every single day, and fit them into my calorie allowance. I rarely feel deprived and it also motivates me to exercise because then I get more calories to eat :)
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    You're better off focusing on exercise first to be honest. I just read a study at work (I want to saw out of UW-Lacrosse) but I don't remember for sure that said you're more likely to stick with a plan if you focus on exercise first. If you're really convinced to start with diet just know you can be skinny by using diet alone, but you'll never be healthy and your risk for heart diseases, diabetes, etc will be increased compared to people who are overweight and workout. So, seriously think about incorporating regular exercise later on.

I don't know that I agree with this rationale or its conclusions.

Personally, when not tracking food calories, if I increase my exercise (say, by 500 calories), then I want...nay, *need* with the burning passion of a thousand suns...to eat at least 1000 calories. Sure, this may eventually level off...not sure as I haven't followed it to its inevitable conclusion...but it could be difficult for someone new to the game to push through.

Also, I haven't heard the non-exercising skinny person is at greater risk of diabetes and heart disease than an exercising overweight person. This is actually counter to my understanding that obesity trumps fitness for most health risks. Would love to see a cite to that conclusion.

You sir are putting words into my mouth. I said overweight, not obese and it has to do with the storage of fat and it being on the organs. It was distributed by the cardiac rehab center at the hospital I work at, but I will try to find the article I took home for an exact citation.
  • unapologetically_crystal
    Options
    i lost my first 40 to 60lbs WITHOUT exercise. but i also started at 327lbs. i went with MFP calorie suggestion for the longest. if i had to guess at least a year.. but then i got stuck on 1200 calories for months and i figured out it wasnt enough for me (and most women). i became active 3 times a week after those first 40 to 60lbs because simply put.. i COULD. i feel that weightloss is 100% a lifestyle change.. and personally i dont think i will exercise every day of my life. so i needed to fix the food problems first. im currently active 5 days a week but again just because i can.

exercise is BENEFICIAL but not necessary for weightloss.

now back to MFP and its calories. the way MFP is designed you are supposed to eat the calories they give you AND your exercise calories (if you exercise). if you want to go a more advanced way. go here. http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ and set it to aggressive 20% (with this method you DO NOT eat exercise calories.. BUT you have it set with your activity so stick to it)

good luck to you.
  • Murphy0126
    Murphy0126 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    My weight loss thus far is all due to a calorie deficit, 80/20 eating, and MFP....

No added exercise.

No diet pills.

No DIETS!

I think my ticker speaks to the effectiveness of this approach.

Rob
  • katiemegcz
    katiemegcz Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Yes. MFP works if you are honest in your logging. I follow the calories and am losing exactly what MFP predicted (1.7 pounds per week). I do weigh my solids for accurate calories with a digital scale, and use a fitbit and HRM (and a website that corrects calorie burn for current weight), just to make sure I am logging exercise accurately. You will find quickly that if weight loss is your goal, it is your food that matters. You can bust your butt and burn 300 calories and eat that back in 3 minutes flat.

My other best piece of advice is not to get too impatient or restrictive. If you are not planning to stop eating ice cream forever, don't stop eating it now. (For me, it is wine on weekends). Just plan your meals and exercise ahead, and if need be, earn your calories the hard way. And as for patience...when you go on a crash diet, you often lose 10 pounds fast. That isn't fat loss, and it sets people up for unrealistic expectations. When you start a real life overhaul, the loss may seem slow. It isn't. And it won't be linear. I lose 1.5 pounds in one weigh-in, and may put on 3 on the next, then lose 4 the next week...but it always evens out to 1.7 pounds. Those fluctuations are water. SO don't let any quick gains deter you. Watch progress by month and you will see it!
  • sugarkissprincess
    sugarkissprincess Posts: 2,595 Member
    Options
    Yes ma'am, I started on MFP and haven't lost a day :)
  • traceleann
    traceleann Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I've lost 10lb in 45 days counting calories and working out. I weigh all solids and measure all liquids. I usually pre-log the day before to know where I'm at on calories and macros.
  • struttdaddy
    Options
    The key is logging EVERYTHING, even the spread of butter you put on your toast! Using this app and going to the gym 3-5 times per week has allowed me to loose 15 pounds in a little over 5 weeks. Best part is I still get to enjoy my beer :) Just gotta save room for it in the macros!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I just use MFP. Follow the calorie and macro guidelines, and eat all the same things I did before, just less of them.

I will warn you of one thing though, this place has a tendency to make you healthier. You're probably going to start cooking more and making more nutritionally-dense food choices once you really get into logging, because eating out a lot or the prepackaged stuff just isn't worth the calories or lack of nutrients. Especially when those calories could be used later on dessert. :blushing: