Who checks restaurant values?

Options
How are the values for menu items at chain restaurants added to the database and are they vetted? I just did some searching on items listed at Buffalo Wild Wings and compared them to what BWW has shared and what's in my fitness seems quite off, much lower than actual many cases.

Just curious.
Chris

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    There are lot of user entered foods - for restaurants and everything else. So yep - things can be quite crazy. If you're on a computer look for items without the asterisk (user entered).
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Yeah- I don't really rely on anything here without verifying- with chains, it's fairly easy to do. It's sort of become second nature. We don't eat out too often- I mostly just cook at home, and even with those items, I tend to scan what I'm using so I know if what I'm logging in my recipes is accurate.

I don 't understand it- why put the information in there if you're not going to be accurate?
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I honestly think that some users enter what the calorie count would ideally be in their minds for restaurant foods. Many of them make no sense and are way off. I always verify.
  • chrisfreemamca
    Options
    I know, some of these are 300 - 400 calories off from what the restaurant says, sheesh!
  • benlambrou
    benlambrou Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    i check every time and find the ones on here that match up
  • bloggymomx
    Options
    I compare the values myself. When I'm going somewhere I look up what I want ahead of time on the restaurants website and then edit the entries in MFP if I see that they are off.
  • chrisfreemamca
    Options
    How do you edit an entry?
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    How do you edit an entry?

When viewing the nutrition info, where it asks if the information is correct (on the right side) if you click NO then it gives you the option to edit.
  • jamesalytle
    jamesalytle Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    also with the chain restaurants there's often variations in nutritional info by location because of different suppliers.
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I check if it seems weird, or "too good to be true" especially. Or sometimes I look at several different entries of the same thing and pick one of the ones that seems to fit in with the others. I am actually mostly eating at places that don't have nutrition info (outside the US).