Is this cardio? Good or bad?

Options
ovi212
ovi212 Posts: 145 Member
So I know there is a bit of a debate with whether cardio or strength training is better for weight loss. Calories burned vs lean muscle building. I feel like just doing an eliptical or running ...that type of one dimensional cardio...wouldn't be beneficial to me in getting the fit looking (and also slimmer, but I don't have much to lose) body. I am also not a fan of just weight lifting. I feel like I am being too lazy and not burning enough. I also don't wan tot invest in all the equipment, plus I'm not very strong lol. I was wondering what you guys thought of cardio kickboxing and bootcamp type routines? I imagine it is cardio but there are also a lot of lunges, jumps, squats, punches and 5lb arm work. Is this better than straight cardio or the same or worse? What do you recommend?

Replies

• EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Go with what you enjoy. If you enjoy it you'll be more likely to do it. As long as the exercise you choose doesn't injure you I think you it should be fine.
  • suejersey
    suejersey Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I do Les Mills Bodycombat which is all martial arts inspired and I definitely noticed more definition in my upper body. I do lift weights now, too, but I noticed the definition before I started true lifting. So if you aren't interested in lifting I think kickboxing, martial arts is a good mix of cardio and toning. What about a couple days of each? Also on my lifting days I do the ropes and the medicine ball and jump squats and things were I bring my heart rate up in between lifting sets to get the cardio kick and the muscle building.
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    So I know there is a bit of a debate with whether cardio or strength training is better for weight loss.
    No, there isn't. For WEIGHT loss, it's cardio and a calorie deficit.
    Calories burned vs lean muscle building.
    That's the question you're after. Do you want to lose fat, or lose weight?
    I feel like just doing an eliptical or running ...that type of one dimensional cardio...wouldn't be beneficial to me in getting the fit looking (and also slimmer, but I don't have much to lose) body.
    That's right. To get a fit, "toned" appearance, you need resistance training. Weights are the most effective way to get there.
    I am also not a fan of just weight lifting. I feel like I am being too lazy and not burning enough. I also don't wan tot invest in all the equipment, plus I'm not very strong lol.
    Then you're not lifting heavy enough, or you'd feel like you'd worked hard. Strength comes with time spent lifting, not thinking about lifting.
    I was wondering what you guys thought of cardio kickboxing and bootcamp type routines? I imagine it is cardio but there are also a lot of lunges, jumps, squats, punches and 5lb arm work. Is this better than straight cardio or the same or worse? What do you recommend?

Those kinds of routines are primarily cardio, with occasional bodyweight resistance. It's a good place to start, but it won't build the kind of muscle that weight lifting will.
  • foxruddellc1
    foxruddellc1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hi! I think that would be a great mix of both cardio and strength! Personally, I COULD NOT lose weight while lifting, so while I was trying to lose, I did not life, and did light cardio and ate 1200 calories a day.
    However, my sister in law competes bikini modeling, and she will do a heavy mix of both 3-6 months leading up to a competition, but also maintains an unrealistic low body fat while competing. And eats very strictly. Hope this helps a bit.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I'd go with it being cardio.

Much as strength training may seem like 'being lazy' - I can have an hour workout (doing other stuff in rest periods) and have jefit estimate under 5 minutes actual lifting - the results for me at least (and many others) certainly offer excellent value per time taken.

So I'd give it a go.

However, yes, your 'bootcamp' is likely further up on the scale than say straight steady state elliptical work.
  • victoriahunt93
    victoriahunt93 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Your dilemma is a common one. However, I think you've already answered your own question. The obvious answer is that you need a moderate balance of both Cardio and Strength training. Cardio, in addition to burning calories and working large muscles (like your legs), is most effective at improving your cardiovascular health. Cardio is basically a workout for your heart. The better you get at running, elliptical-ing, bicycling, etc., the better your heart gets at pumping blood and oxygen throughout your body. Strength training increases your muscle mass, metabolism (because of higher muscle mass), and your overall muscular strength. BOTH are essential to your overall fitness and health.

If you've lost a lot of fat already and are looking to develop muscle and tone, you should focus more on strength training and hold cardio steady. But to answer your ultimate question, things like cardio kickboxing and bootcamp and crossfit are just programs that combine the two aspects of fitness. If you've ever taken a cardio kickboxing class, you know that it burns crazy calories (depending on the individual) but it also works your muscles like you wouldn't believe (like don't expect to be able to lift your arms the next day).

Ultimately, you just have to decide what fits your lifestyle and your preferences. For me, individual workouts are better - I like to do an hour or so of walk/jogging and then some targeted strength training like arms, abs, and back. Cardio/Strength classes are certainly an excellent option that combine both cardio and strength. You should take some classes, try some machines, do some weight lifting and see what you like. Then, build a cardio/strength program that works for you. Good luck!
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    I imagine it is cardio but there are also a lot of lunges, jumps, squats, punches and 5lb arm work. Is this better than straight cardio or the same or worse? What do you recommend?
    Without qualification, the purpose of weight training is to make cardio effort more efficient, but how much? A not too recent study (2007, I forget the source) determined that 6RM was optimal resistance for most people. I think that;s somewhat more intermediate than what you're aiming for.

The classic approach is starting out at 8 reps per set and working up to 12 in five weeks. . .
    Basic moves should be adequate:
    Shoulder press
    Bent over rows
    Curls
    Tri extensions
    Bench Press
    Straight Leg Deadlifts
    Squats
    Calf Raises (maybe)
  • RavenaRae
    RavenaRae Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Your post had me curious too so I looked it up and cardio kickboxing is described as an overall workout of physical toning and conditioning. A boot camp workout is a whole-body workout that builds strength and endurance.

So I would say there is some strength training involved in both, especially boot camp.

Most important is do something you enjoy and change it up periodically or as often as you want to keep from getting bored.
  • ovi212
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I feel better about doing it now.
    I've been logging it as general cardio. Burns about 120 cal in 20 min. Is that what I should be doing? I also always log 5-15min less than I do.
  • ovi212
    Options
    I'm curious. What would you guys log that under? I am afraid of overestimating my calories burned. I currently log it as general cardio (120 cal/20 min), but there is also a more intense option or calisthenics (light and heavy)? I also cut 5-15 min off the time I do, depending how intense I think the workout was compared to others and how long was spent on rest times. Is this what you do?