Favorite DVD workouts?

Options
kmayne
kmayne Posts: 82 Member
I am a SAHM of 3, and going to a gym is not an option for me. I have Turbo Fire, but I'm not in love with the kickboxing style of most of the workouts (and that's why I don't do my Tae Bo either) and some of them are hard to follow and/or kinda long. I would prefer something that involves some strength training (not just straight cardio), and not too challenging to follow. Shorter workouts would be good, too. So tell me what your favorite workouts are and why. Thanks!

Replies

• angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I do Jillian Michaels. They are intense but good. Right now I am doing the 30 day shred. It only takes about 20 minutes with the warm up and cool down included with the circuits.
  • ChristaLee72
    ChristaLee72 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am also a big fan of Jillian Michaels. Ripped In 30 is great and only about 20-25 minutes long. I also love her Body Revolution program, which is kind of like her version of P90x. It's still only 30 minutes a day, 6 days a week and the program is for 3 months and the workouts get harder as you progress. I have tried other DVD's but Jillian is by far my favorite and I get results! Body Revolution is a more expensive option, but it's also 15 DVD's, so I have never gotten bored with the workouts.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I love Chalean Extreme which is strength training.
  • chickenpie
    chickenpie Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Another Jillian fan here! I recently discovered 30 day shred and loved the fact you could do it at home whenever suits, for me it was ideal once the kids were in bed & only takes half an hour.. A good mix of strength, cardio and some abs.

I loved the 30DS, was very sore to start with but it wears off - and I had good results which spurred me on. Have just finished Ripped in 30 also, which I've also loved.. Jillian knows how to get results!
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Jillian Michaels. Body Revolution is always in rotation for me. Along with Chalean Extreme. I actually love Turbo Fire too, but I love lifting weights. I see the most results and have the most fun.
  • FlatTummyTrish
    FlatTummyTrish Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Jilian Michaels has a lot of different workouts you can easily access through her youtube channel, I'm doing the 30 day Shred but I also love her circuit training it's very challenging! Denise Austin's kickboxing videos are also great.
    If you prefer shorter videos, why not invest in a Nintendo Wii? I know it's not specifically workouts but I always sweat a lot. I recommend Just dance series, they have fitness options so that they tell you how many calories you burned and you can pick the number of songs you want to do. It's beyond fun!
    Also, The ministry of sound Pump It Up dvd's are great too, I've been using them for years now and include weights just to work my muscles too.
    Hope you have some ideas on the dvd choice now, good luck :)
  • truelypinkthing
    truelypinkthing Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Yet another JM fan! But i also like Fitnessblender, its online (so free) and offers all sorts of workouts-long /short with equipment or without, whole body or targetted areas. I like to run youtube music in the background to get the groove going.:happy:
    Whatever you choose, have fun.
  • Nialuv24
    Nialuv24 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Here are my 3 new fav exercise DVDs. They are not too long, theres not a whole bunch of crazy moves to learn, and I feel good afterwards.

Personal Training with Jackie (Warner) Crunch free Extreme abs (2010). There is a standing routine, which I like, I don't like floor work that much. I really felt it the next day.

Transform your body with Brooke Burke Tone & Tighten (2011). Very nice workout, I like the whole thing, felt strong afterwards.

Walk at home walk off 10 lbs Leslie Sansone (2010) great walking DVD, simple, incorporates arm moves as well.

I like to preview things, by using the local public library. That way I can check it out before I buy, for free!
    I hope this helps.
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    For short and effective, I go with Focus T25 and P90X3.
    I also do Les Mills Combat, but you stated that you don't enjoy the kickboxing. Having done both TurboFire and Les Mills Combat, I have to say that they are dramatically different and Combat is extremely fun (I really did not like the choreographed style of TurboFire).
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    My favorite, the Weight Watchers Points Plus Fitness Series. Doesn't sound like it would be much of workout, but it is! I like it because she starts with a basic move then shows the intermediate and advanced. Then I can chose which variation I want to do or even switch from one to the other without having to stop or start over. Plus, some of the more challenging moves, she goes slow and shows how it is done and will repeat slowly again so you have a chance to get a hang of it before attempting it. There's five disks in the series and each disk as a Main Workout, Express Workout (15 min), and a Beginner Workout.

I also like some of the Biggest Loser workouts, Rockin' Body, and T25. I definitely have a mix to choose from. Which comes in handy for the long Montana winters when I can't get outdoors!
  • G_RRR
    G_RRR Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    My favorite dvd now: 10 days to a better body, it's only 30-35 minutest long but I got better results than 30 day shred
    Also I love this yoga dvd: 20 minute yoga makeover, 5 good 20 minute workouts!
  • rustyroof
    rustyroof Posts: 76
    Options
    bump
  • barefootbridgey
    barefootbridgey Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Yep. Another vote for Jillian. I love the Kickbox Fast Fix (though I know a lot of people don't) and Ripped in 30. Each workout is 20-25 minutes long, so I will do two or three at a time usually...unless I'm really in a time crunch. I also have the JM Hard Body DVD, which is a 45 minute workout (actually two of them). I really didn't like this one at first, but after I did it a few times, it grew on me. It's less cardio than Jillian usually does, I think, and the moves are pretty complex, so it's not for beginners and there's a decent learning curve.

I also really like Bob Harpers Pure Burn Super Strength and Body Rev Cardio Conditioning. Both use handweights (I use 8s and 5s) and are pretty solid 60 min workouts.

oddly enough, as much as I love Jillian and Bob...I absolutely despite the Biggest Loser DVD series.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options

oddly enough, as much as I love Jillian and Bob...I absolutely despite the Biggest Loser DVD series.

I think Jillian is VERY different in her DVDs than she is on the biggest loser.