How to season ground turkey for burgers?

Options
I'm making spinach feta turkey burgers this week and I'm not working off of any particular recipe. I'm trying to figure out what seasonings I should use in the actual meat. Poultry seasoning? Garlic powder? Seasoned salt?

Every recipe I find for turkey burgers has soy or Worsheshire sauce or has bread crumbs and eggs. I can't spare the extra calories, so how else can I season them?

I'm using 1 lb ground turkey, 2 oz crumbled feta cheese, and 2 oz fresh chopped spinach.

Replies

• runnergrlfl
    runnergrlfl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I would sautee my spinach with garlic & evoo until wilted, before adding it to my burgers so it has that flavor and helps keep the turkey from drying out.

Then really, since feta is so flavorful, just some salt & pepper.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I'd probably use a seasoning that I like to use to season things that I like to eat. Narrow it down to some type of seasoning that you like and use that.
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Eggs are to keep them from crumbling apart. You could add an egg white or two? (15 - 30 calories) Garlic would be yummy with spinach and feta. Or any seasoning with dried tomato in it.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I would sautee my spinach with garlic & evoo until wilted, before adding it to my burgers so it has that flavor and helps keep the turkey from drying out.

Then really, since feta is so flavorful, just some salt & pepper.

This sounds pretty good to me. I don't know where you live, but I've come across feta crumbles that are flavored. I get the tomato/basil flavor. It's not overpowering at all.
  • RunningMs
    RunningMs Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I like to add some finely chopped raw red onion to mine. As the burgers cook the onion juices add flavour and also help to keep the burger from drying out.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I like salt, pepper, red onion, and Worcestershire sauce.