Turning 21 in May alcohol question?

Options
So I'm turning 21 In May I'm fit and like any 21 year old I will be drinking two or three beers on my birthday.

So my question is what is your advice on drinking for the first time? And What your favorite beer?

I plan to try three or four drinks.

1. Miller lite

2. Jack Daniels

3. Mike hard lemonade

4. Samuel Adams

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    You've really never drank before? Impressive. I'd just stick with beer but skip the Miller Lite. Any micro brews near? That's where I'd go. Sam Adams is pretty good. Alaskan Amber is probably my favorite more mainstream beer. I like ambers and wheats.
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Tips for drinking -

1. Drink LOTS of water - alcohol dehydrates you.

2. Don't get crazy mixing stuff - it's best to drink one thing and stick with it - that being said - if you do switch - don't go back. If you start with a beer - then drink Jack Daniels - don't go back to beer! My experience is you'll get sick as a dog.

3. It's your bday - people will buy you drinks if you go out - be careful, know what you are drinking, and count carefully. The body can only metabolize about one drink an hour.

4. GET A DESIGNATED DRIVER

Have a happy birthday!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Start with Johnnie Walker Scotch on the rocks, they put water in when they make it!

Then switch to red wine with dinner.

After dinner drink a amber or dark ale

Smoke a cigar and switch back to Scotch, a single malt.

The next morning call a wrecker service to pull that truck off your head. .
  • NancyH66
    NancyH66 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I would advise against mixing different types of drinks. Stick to beer for a few outings while you figure out how you deal with being drunk. Getting puking drunk on your first time out shouldn't be the goal. Also hangovers are no fun. Try to drink water during the evening and have some gatorade waiting when you get home.
    I don't know why you would want to drink miller lite at all. I'm seconding finding some decent beer.
    have fun and be safe.
  • Miamiuu
    Miamiuu Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Mikes hard lemonade is like drinking juice cus you cant really taste the alcohol in it.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    What everyone said above. I'd also suggest eating a meal beforehand.
    Whenever I go out, I always like to eat a bigger meal (not only so I don't drink as much, but because it personally helps me to not get drunk). Usually I'll eat something like pasta with a salad, since it fills me up and I'm not just drinking on an empty stomach.

Happy early birthday, fell May-by!
  • PandaCustard
    PandaCustard Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Go sloooow. If you try something stronger, such as liquor, drink very small amounts at first; you have no idea how it will affect you. Try to mix it with juice or soda. Don't drink on an empty stomach. It can make you pretty ill. Stay hydrated. If you get a hangover the next morning, drink a lot of water... hangovers are the result of the dehydrating effect alcohol has on you. Also, do not drink six shots' worth of Captain Morgan mixed with Jones Soda while going through a two-hour long haunted house and hayride with no bathroom facilities for your first time. It will not end well.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Go sloooow. If you try something stronger, such as liquor, drink very small amounts at first; you have no idea how it will affect you. Try to mix it with juice or soda. Don't drink on an empty stomach. It can make you pretty ill. Stay hydrated. If you get a hangover the next morning, drink a lot of water... hangovers are the result of the dehydrating effect alcohol has on you. Also, do not drink six shots' worth of Captain Morgan mixed with Jones Soda while going through a two-hour long haunted house and hayride with no bathroom facilities for your first time. It will not end well.

Or eat a giant dinner salad before two martinis, because they will hit you 10x harder than the nights that you usually eat pasta and bread.
    I did my dishes at 2AM.
    I never do my dishes at 2AM.
    I still can't find some of them.
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Can't drink beer, so no recommendations from me.

As for alcohol, depending on the location, the place might have a tasting sampler. Around here, we have scotch samplers, bourbon samplers, and of course beer samplers. Always a hit with those wanting to try out new things.
  • jillian_fan2425
    jillian_fan2425 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    It's your birthday. Let your friends buy you a couple of shots. (A couple, not twenty.)

I'd aim slightly higher than the domestic brews and try a beer flight. They're available at several of the pubs around here and you get to try out several of the local or more popular beers in small doses. Don't like one? Give it to a friend. Otherwise, you'll find something you can get a full glass of next time you're in the bar.

Seconding the recommendations to eat something (hello, headache) and get a DD. (Note: DD does not equal "least drunk friend")

If you want to try a mixed drink, I'd start with a rum and coke.

And remember -- "beer before liquor, never sicker; liquor before beer, in the clear." They say it for a reason.

Have fun, and happy early birthday to you! :smile:

ETA: The tip about drinking water throughout the night is on point.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Drink before drinking (water, that is) and drink your alcoholic things slowly. Things resembling craft beer are often half again more in both the calorie and alcohol department. Also, since it will eat into your calorie budget, consider additional exercise and/or choosing more nutritionally dense foods for the rest of the day.
  • Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    aww my niece just turned 21! such fun. everybody was buying her drinks, and she'd nurse them and then give them to my mom LOL. i had to drive her home.

i'm also a tad jealous, i was pregnant on my 21st.

drink water. alternate booze with water so you dont get lit up like the fourth of july.

my fav drinks are:
    white russian
    malibu bay breeze
    mai tai (hiawaiian. had pineapple juice and such YUM
    kamakazie (this is a shot and will knock you on your *kitten*)

save the wine for a nice diner, and beer for a burger (or steak) come summer.

have a drink for me!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Like you're going to listen to any of this at the party after your first drink.