Pre workout fuel

Options
So i have recently decided to start running in the mornings, and it feels great! But I've noticed the last few times ive gotten SUPER tired about half way through and have to struggle through the last mile...Im thinking I need some pre workout fuel, but i don't know what to eat! I usually just eat a banana but i don't think its helping much. Any ideas for a light pre workout meal? Something fast since I wait till the last minute to get my hour workout in :blushing:

Replies

• AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    I always grab a cascadian farms organic granola bar (peanut butter and chocolate chip are my two favorites). Each bar has 140 calories, but a good mix of carbs and protein to get me through my am runs, not to mention they are yummy and dont give you banana-burps while running ;-)
  • bsweettt
    Options
    I found that just having a few sips of coffee really does the trick for me! I actually can run just about twice as far without dying!
  • Meg28
    Meg28 Posts: 59
    Options
    I was about to say, "eat a banana" until I finished reading your post. I can't stomach too much in the morning before a run, but try some carbs. Bars are good and you can take them with you, particularly if you are running for an hour - perhaps eat half the bar pre run and then half during. Check them out carefully b/c often granola bars are often not as healthy as they seem so select carefully. You can also try a piece of bread of half and english muffin. Either way, instead of trying to eat more pre-run which might make you feel sluggish, try taking something you can eat while running to refuel yourself.

Good luck!
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Carbs and caffeine are both great for increasing endurance for running. I like smoothies because I can make them with frozen fruits and protein powder to get a mix of carbs and protein for some great fuel. But, I've known runners who have a soda or coffee to help improve performance. LOL
  • vcatmb44
    vcatmb44 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    A protein shake get some low carb low cal, fat whey protein and mix with the banana and fat free milk and have that before you run it will give you more energy
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    There are pre-workout supplements that include a list of things including caffiene. I've used a couple different ones before my weight training sessions, but have read about others using them before endurance activities with good results. My favorite is White Flood from Controlled labs. They aren't cheap. If you're not a coffee drinker, then you can try some good ol' caffiene pills. I'm taking 50 mg of caffiene each morning to help with my intermittent fasting diet.

You could also try not eating anything at all. Many have had great results with fasted cardio, and some find they are more energetic in a fasted state. Monday I did a hard cardio session at the end of a 19 hr fast, and I felt great the whole time, sprinting and playing racquetball for over an hour.
  • TateFTW
    Options
    A protein shake get some low carb low cal, fat whey protein and mix with the banana and fat free milk and have that before you run it will give you more energy

If you wait a little while, the banana might get digested, but the protein will just sit in your stomach and could leave you feeling weighed down. Protein doesn't give you energy, and in fact takes more energy than other food sources just to digest.
  • ktbug1186
    Options
    Thanks so much for the suggestions, i will try them!! haha aggie cass about the banana burps :D I had some green tea caffiene pills, would you recommend those?
  • mamad122
    mamad122 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I drink Shakeology, a 140 cal protein shake with just 17 carbs. You can make it with milk or water and add any fruit that you want. You don't need a blender if you're not adding anything to it. It tasty yummy by itself and it's super easy on the go! Let me know if you want more info:) OH and it's caffeine free and whole food nutrition!
  • TateFTW
    Options
    Thanks so much for the suggestions, i will try them!! haha aggie cass about the banana burps :D I had some green tea caffiene pills, would you recommend those?

Never know if they work until you try them. Just watch you don't overdo it. Too much caffiene and my heart feels like it's going to burst out of my chest (for a while I was using EC stack and still taking a pre-wo. A couple times I thought I was going to have a freaking heart attack. Not a good idea on my part). If you get that, call it a day and use less next time or move on to the next idea.
  • Macey113
    Macey113 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have a horrible time eating before workout in the morning, so I ended up getting GNC Lean 60. It has caffeine in it, and I take it in the AM with a small spoon a peanutbutter. Since I started using it, I'm having workouts that are just as good in the morning as they are in the afternoon. It says it helps burn more calories too (I don't think this is actually true, I'm just using it to perk me up in the AM), it also says to take two of them--I take one and it works just fine AND doesn't make me feel jittery which is an issue I've had with some other pills.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    So i have recently decided to start running in the mornings, and it feels great! But I've noticed the last few times ive gotten SUPER tired about half way through and have to struggle through the last mile...Im thinking I need some pre workout fuel, but i don't know what to eat! I usually just eat a banana but i don't think its helping much. Any ideas for a light pre workout meal? Something fast since I wait till the last minute to get my hour workout in :blushing:

Not saying that a pre-workout feeding isn't a good idea, but also keep in mind that if you have made a recent change in your routine, it is not unusual after a few times to experience the fatigue you are reporting, just from residual fatigue from the ramping up of your workload. It can be part of the initial adaptation to the new routine.
  • ktbug1186
    Options
    Ya I went from only walking a few times a week to running 2 miles, its alot of strain! I'm really trying to make it a habit, so i decided i would give myself one day off a week...and its also nice having so many extra calories! :)