How many times a week do you workout ?

Options
Hi, so I usually workout 6 days a week, 90 mins each time. I usually do low- impact Aerobics, or walk 6 miles. Between two jobs and a family, im starting to think it's best i workout 5 days a week instead. But i feel like i'll fall off track.

So here are a few questions, how often do you workout? For how long do you usually workout in one session? Do you ever feel guilty for taking a rest day?

Thanks ! I would really like to read some responses. I think that would help me feel like guilty/lazy.

Replies

• dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I usually workout between 4 to 5 times per week, 3 of those are usually strength training with some HIIT cardio and run between 45 minutes to an hour and then the other one to two are usually some outdoor activity, like hiking, that will last about 2 hours or so.

I don't feel guilty taking rest days because your body needs them for recovery, especially from hard workout days.
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    4-6. At least one day is just cardio, at least 3 days are weights.
  • luadams2
    luadams2 Posts: 122
    Options
    I only started getting serious about losing weight this month but I've been working out 6 days a week for an hour or so.
  • cottagegirl71
    cottagegirl71 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty new too - but every weekday I go to the gym for an hour and either do a class, or weights and cardio....weekends are "fun" days i.e., a hike with the dog, skating, tobogganing, or indoor swimming (can't wait to do all the fun activities outside when the weather warms up!)
  • joez71
    joez71 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I workout every second day, for about an hours, 1/3 Cardio 2/3's Weights, being 40+ my recovery isnt what it used to be.
  • hatsumi141
    hatsumi141 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I go for a 30 minute bike ride everyday, and do light weights M-F and rest on the weekend. I'm gonna eventually push that 30 minutes up to 1 hr. and the "light" weights to just weights :). But for my muscles to rest I give them the weekend with no strength training. I would suggest giving yourself the weekend off from weights AND Cardio if you feel you need the break. :)

Of course I'm a newbie to this so don't quote me :p.
  • sshintaku
    sshintaku Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I workout 6-7 days a week, normally 30 minutes of something intense - running, 30dayshred, etc. sometimes I'll hit a 75 minute yoga class. Now that I've really gotten into the swing of things, I find I don't really want to take breaks. If I'm feeling particularly tired or sore, I might walk a few miles instead of running or do something easier. I rarely have a day with zero physical activity though.
  • Snapshotgirl
    Snapshotgirl Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I usually work out 6 days a week but my back is having issues, so I have had to cut down. I'm really frustrated, if I don't work out the weight pours back on super fast.
  • MrsHollingsworthThomas
    Options
    I work out 7 days per week as part of my 'GiveIt100 challenge' (I committed to 100 days of exercise)
    Typically, my schedule is:
    Sunday: Strength training
    Monday: 60 minute cardio kickboxing class
    Tuesda: 30 minute cardio @ home
    Wednesday: 30 minute yoga session
    Thursday: 60 minute Zumba class
    Friday: 30 minute cardio @ home
    Saturday: 60 minute African Roots dance class

So... 5 days of cardio + 1 day of strength training + 1 day of yoga

IMO, I don't think it would be bad to take a day (or two off) Maybe you can replace your exercise with yoga for the day. I started doing cardio everyday, but found that my body NEEDED a rest.

If you push yourself TOO hard, you may get sick of it.. at least that's what happens to me.
  • Lina_Loo_15
    Options
    I work out 6 days a week, 30 minutes for each workout. I'm doing P90X3.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    5 days a week. I always take off Tuesdays and Thursdays because I work long hours (and have 3 kids to care for!). Every once in a while I'll take off a weekend day too if my family has something going on. When i don't work out, I just am very careful with my calories and make sure I stay under for the day. I've been losing steadily like this.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    If one is not training-- following a structured training regimen (where Rest and "active" rest is an integral part), there's no reason one cant "work out" every day. I try to do something every day. Run 4-5 days a week, cycle 2-3 days a week. Strength 4-5 days a week
  • dancer2u
    dancer2u Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Just do whatever feels right for you. I started out working out 3 times a week for 20 mins., then switched to 30 mins. twice a week. Now I am doing 3 to 4 times a week, & doing between 30 to 45 mins. I have been doing exercise since January. It makes me feel so much better, & I haven't been stressed out as bad as I normally am after work. My mood has improved & so forth. I have a bad spine & have had back surgery in the past.....so I have to be real careful not to cause any further damage. What I am doing seems to be working though. :)
  • snapehbp
    snapehbp Posts: 64
    Options
    mwf strength training for an hour and usually wed I'll run a half to a mile after doing weights. Tues/thurs I do Zumba. Sat and Sunday are my days off but I often go for power walks for 45 minutes with my dog.
  • tanfit4life
    tanfit4life Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I lift 5 days aweek and do cardio 6 days a week-I run 5 days aweek-
  • dont_tap_my_aces
    dont_tap_my_aces Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I lift 3 days a week, no cardio. my sessions are usually between 40 and 50 minutes. and no i don't feel guilty about rest days they are part of any good program.
  • traceytwink
    traceytwink Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I work out 4-5 times a week 2-3 session are 45 mins long and involve weights and my cardio sessions are out on my bike riding the local mountains and I ride anywhere between 2 and 5 hours depending on how I feel and the weather ????
  • nedtoloseme
    nedtoloseme Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I usually do 6 days a week. I love working out! I may try to do yoga on the 7th day (haven't tried yoga yet.) Do what feels comfortable for you. Don't feel guilty about not workjng out everyday - your body needs rest. I find that exercise is my stress reliver sounds like yours too.
  • stephaniefiteni
    stephaniefiteni Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    4-5 depending on lengh+time
    dont think its necessary to do mon-fri set times/hours.
    alter it to see what works for you
  • Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    every other day.

i do several bodyweight exercises, some ab repair work, some knee repair work, and some with the resistance bands. i have a few physical limitations, so its kinda wimpy by other peoples standards, but that's ok. :)