cholesterol

Options
I just have a question about cholesterol since I am fairly new to dieting. I am usually below the limit of cholesterol I have every day. But today I noticed a big jump and ended up going beyond my limit. I just wanted to know can having too much cholesterol stop you from losing weight even if you stay at or below the calories limit?

Replies

• Amelia7779
    Amelia7779 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Cholesterol has nothing to do with weight loss. In fact, dietary cholesterol has little to no effect on blood cholesterol levels. So don't worry about it.
  • trishamr1080
    Options
    Whew! Thanks :-)
  • missbehave79
    missbehave79 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Even your blood cholesterol has a lot to do with genetics. I used to eat like crap and my numbers were always really good.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Dietary cholesterol does have an effect on blood cholesterol, so do watch your intake, but it only becomes a real problem when you intake more than you can get rid of. Everybody does that at a different rate, so you'd have to get a blood test to be certain if this is a problem for you. Get your cholesterol checked, if your doc says it's high, then i would certainly reduce or eliminate dietary cholesterol.
  • Amelia7779
    Amelia7779 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Dietary cholesterol does have an effect on blood cholesterol, so do watch your intake, but it only becomes a real problem when you intake more than you can get rid of. Everybody does that at a different rate, so you'd have to get a blood test to be certain if this is a problem for you. Get your cholesterol checked, if your doc says it's high, then i would certainly reduce or eliminate dietary cholesterol.

Would love to see some recent, peer-reviewed research that backs this up
  • duncancv
    duncancv Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Are you looking to lose weight as well as diminish your cholesterol?
  • trishamr1080
    Options
    No not really looking to diminish my cholesterol. I am trying to lose weight (a lot) but I just want to do it healthiest way I can without totally depriving myself. I watch not only the calories I take in everyday but the nutrients too. I'm usually below my limit of cholestol every day..which mfp gives me I think 300. But today I ate alittle different and ended up going higher then that. I just want to stay healthy.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Cholesterol has nothing to do with weight loss. In fact, dietary cholesterol has little to no effect on blood cholesterol levels. So don't worry about it.

^This.

Unless you have a genetic reason to be watching cholesterol (ie. My father has high cholesterol despite not eating it at all, and so did his father, so I watch mine) then it's generally not an indicator of anything.
  • trishamr1080
    Options
    I do know that on both sides of my family cholesterol was an issue. But as far as the last time I checked with the doctor my cholesterol is finef right now. That was a few months ago.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of eggs :)