Cross fit

Options
Does anyone else do cross fit? I just started and so far it sucksssssssssssss haha I mean I like it but good lord it is difficult!

I use http://www.woddrive.com/ for guidance but if anyone else has advice that would be awesome

Replies

• kota4bye
    kota4bye Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    You get stronger, it gets better, you go faster, you use more weight, it still makes you want to puke.

I love it.

Are you going to a box or using at home work outs?
  • brianna49415
    Options
    I'm doing it at the gym I work at, and a couple of the guys want to participate in the cross fit shows I guess but we are all kind of beginners/experimenting.
    What are your eating habits doing it?
  • kota4bye
    Options
    I Crossfit or do functional fitness 3 days a week and am training for a half marathon 4 days a week. I eat 1800-2000 calories a day, except on Wednesdays (double workout day) and Saturday (long run day). Those two days I eat 2500 to 3000.

I'm 38, 6'1, 208...trying to get down to 195ish
  • nicki_lynne
    nicki_lynne Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I want to but i'm very intimidated by it. I'd love to hear how this goes for you. There is a cross fit body transformation challenge starting at my gym in 3 weeks. They confirmed it's for all levels but I kind of feel like I really need to up my game before I start. I cannot even do 1 pull up yet. :S
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I do and I love it!!! I go about 2-4 times a week. I've only ever made it 5 times once and I've been going since September.
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I want to but i'm very intimidated by it. I'd love to hear how this goes for you. There is a cross fit body transformation challenge starting at my gym in 3 weeks. They confirmed it's for all levels but I kind of feel like I really need to up my game before I start. I cannot even do 1 pull up yet. :S

I was intimidated at first too and put off going for so long. I still can't do an unassisted pull up but at first I needed 2 bands now I could do it with just 1. It is for all levels of fitness, you won't improve without going out of your comfort zone. You can do it!!
  • kota4bye
    Options
    Yep, you have to get out and do it. My wife comes out with me. She scales everything including our runs....bands for pull ups...she does plank with feet together to feet spread and back together instead of the push up portion of a burpee.

It will smoke you in the begining, but you have to come back for more.

I've never been to a box or group that didn't welcome new folks and motivate them to come back for more.
  • brianna49415
    Options

Well I do it with a couple of the guys and so far they've been really understanding about me using less weight and an assisted pull up vs unassisted for example. I can tell it's going to be really awesome for my body but it certainly kicks my butt!!
  • brianna49415
    Options
    I was intimidated at first too and put off going for so long. I still can't do an unassisted pull up but at first I needed 2 bands now I could do it with just 1. It is for all levels of fitness, you won't improve without going out of your comfort zone. You can do it!!

Haha yeah I use the band too, but overall I like it so far :) my heart rate always shoots up though! it's crazy!
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    Been going for about six months and I love it.

Great CF people and info here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/99-crossfit-love
  • AvaMusnicki
    AvaMusnicki Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I love it! Been going since June but really into it since November going 3-4 times a week and tracking my weight and PRs. I remember those beginning days...I was always SO sore I couldn't move days after.

Take it easy on the weight at first and concentrate on form for the first few months.

I also did a 60 day no cheat nutrition challenge Jan & Feb and lost 12 pounds (reduced 5% bodyfat from 30% to 25% confirmed by hydrostatic testing). I ate strict paleo...low sugar, high protein, coconut oil for fats.

Keep at it! I don't want to say it gets "easier" but it does because everything starts making more sense. I also spent a lot of time "studying" various crossfit exercises on youtube. That really helped.
  • nicki_lynne
    nicki_lynne Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I think it's going to be just what I need to get me past my plateau.
  • argonzalez4
    argonzalez4 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I wanna try it, but i feel i need to lose more lbs *uggh*
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options

Nope. You don't. Just go.
  • brianna49415
    Options

Nope. You don't. Just go.

Agreed- just jump in!
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it yet, but my good friend is a coach at a local box. She's a beast!!! She inspires me all the time. Homeschooling mom of 6 kids, runs her own (very successful) business, helped set up and now coaching at this particular box. She's amazing. Several of my friends go there. Even my dentist (who is also a long time friend.) They love it. I've had other friends try it and just not love it. To each their own. I can see the draw, but I don't have the time to dedicate as I focus more on long distance running right now.
  • lunapetu0311
    Options
    Been doing Cross Fit 2-3 times per week for past 1.5 years. It was DEFINITELY hard at the beginning!!! It took many months to feel better and stronger. I used to have to nap every single time I worked out because it wore me out so bad and I was always SOOOOO sore...but now I can get through the WODs pretty easy and feel great all day. I still get sore but not as bad as the beginning. The strength and stamina that I've gained from the workouts have been so worth it - it will get easier! Good luck!
  • dsayles34
    dsayles34 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm doing crossfit and I keep saying to myself this is not for me. I feel like quitting my body feel like I've been in a train wreck...I'm so sore its nerve wrecking. I'm hoping to lose some weight and question if this is for me. I have actually gained 5 pounds since I've been doing it...I'm starting to feel discouraged. I've been only doing it for two weeks.
  • Choobey
    Choobey Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm doing crossfit and I keep saying to myself this is not for me. I feel like quitting my body feel like I've been in a train wreck...I'm so sore its nerve wrecking. I'm hoping to lose some weight and question if this is for me. I have actually gained 5 pounds since I've been doing it...I'm starting to feel discouraged. I've been only doing it for two weeks.

I am not sure if you kept going, but when I first started it took about 2-3 weeks to get used to it. Now I love it and do not want to work out anywhere else! I have also gained weight, but you should start noticing a decline in inches.