HRM and calorie burn timing

Options
When using a chest strap HRM during cardio, when do you take the calorie number? Right when you're done? My heart rate is up pretty high for a few afterwards. Perhaps it has something to do with the % number?

Replies

• 3RMomma
    3RMomma Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    That is a great question... where are the wise ones????
  • inky16
    inky16 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Bumping, cuz I'm curious too!
  • unesemainedecruaute
    unesemainedecruaute Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    After any kind of training, your body takes a time to recover. Depending on the type -and the intensity- of the training session, that time can go from a few hours up to two days*. Gladly for all of us here at MFP, you still burn calories in that time.

One of the main indicators of that recovering time is your heart still bumping right after the exercise. But even after going back to your rest rate, your body is still recovering (and burning "extra" calories).

As we don't have the tools to measure that "extra" calorie burning in all its extent, I'd recommend to take the number right after you are done. It's just a convention, you'll find everybody is doing the same, and it'd be easier to compare your effort by doing so (ex.: you'll read a number in a magazine and you'll know if yesterday you burnt more/less/same).

Let me know if I was to messy :)

*Depending on the study you take as a reference too.
  • dnish53
    dnish53 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    If my heart rate is high I will leave it on for another 5 minutes until it has dropped down, but not all the way to resting.
  • gonefishin1282
    gonefishin1282 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^^^ I agree at right when I am finished.....i'd much rather under count calories burned instead of overshooting. It will give you a slight cushion on your calories in and a better chance to create a deficit!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Heart rate on its own indicates nothing besides a rapid pulse. The formulae used by HRMs to calculate caloric burn are based on heart rate during specific activities.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Heart rate on its own indicates nothing besides a rapid pulse. The formulae used by HRMs to calculate caloric burn are based on heart rate during specific activities.

This.

Heart rate does not equal calories burned.

You will end up with an over inflated number if you continue to monitor your heart rate after you have stopped your exercise. The HRM thinks you are still doing cardio and therefore estimates calories based on the number.

A great post doesn't address this question exactly but may help to understand how HRMs work
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472
  • mtbpaige
    mtbpaige Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    THANKS everyone! Great answers :smile: