Avoiding temptation NSV

Options
horseryder77
horseryder77 Posts: 224 Member
Just wanted to share with everyone- I'm truly happy with myself.

I have started Jillian's 30 day shred, I'm on day 2 of level 2.. it has not been easy.
Back when I was thinner and training for my half marathon.. I could get away with eating a donut or a brownie every once and a while. Decided I gotta stop.

Well guess what. I have a sedentary office job... and today was FOUR people's birthdays. And I knew every one of them. One of them has been a friend since high school.
There was the following:
Sanders Bumpy Cake
Fresh stone baked chocolate chip cookies
Turtle brownies
Ice cream cake
And donuts.

And I had NONE of it.

And here's the kicker! Today was the start of "that time of the month" (or as I like to call it... Shark Week.), and I want chocolate very badly.

And I didn't accept ANY of it! Even when my cube mate came over and put the bag of cookies on my keyboard!!!

Instead, I came home and did level 2 of the 30DS, had my butt kicked and enjoyed my chocolate flavored protein shake.

I might reward myself with a small piece of dark chocolate later :)

I think I'm on my way!!! :) Feel free to share your temptation NSV's :)

Replies

• mom2my4boys
    mom2my4boys Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    One of my clients baked me a dozen pumpkin chocolate chip muffins today and i didnt eat any! There they sit on the counter, completely intact, minus the 4 my boys ate. Baby steps... :-)
  • Finayoung
    Finayoung Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    That is so awesome that you resisted!!!
    I had a similar situation at my job. It's amazing how good eating healthy and working out makes you feel. It's become easy to give up sweets and im craving fruits more than sweets now. Never thought that day would come lol
  • mkcmurphy
    mkcmurphy Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Well done!!
  • scrapmum4
    scrapmum4 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your temptation NSV.
  • loriemn
    loriemn Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    good for you,,and love calling it "shark week"
  • sonhando
    sonhando Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! That has been something I've struggled with. My office is full of food lovers and cookies/cake bakers. I'm hoping your example will inspire me to be strong.
  • luadams2
    luadams2 Posts: 122
    Options
    I'm retired now but I do remember all that office junk food that people would bring in. Bagels, donuts in the morning, muffins, and it seemed like every week it was somebody's birthday and we'd go out to lunch. Then there were conferences with big fat sandwiches and cookies. It was never-ending! Good for you for not caving.
  • luminajd
    luminajd Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    AWESOME job! Junk at work makes it so hard. Yesterday my office had a potluck. My office is right next to the breakroom and every time someone opened the door I got a whiff of deliciousness. But I never went in there, ate my tuna sandwich for lunch, and am feeling proud today :)
  • apeydawn423
    apeydawn423 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Excellent!
  • Catwoman1037
    Catwoman1037 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    So AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! This really is a big deal! Keep up the good work! :happy:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    sigh …you could of had some and ate less of other stuff during the day and fit the stuff into your macro count and calorie deficit for the day ….that is more of a win in my opinion …when we teach ourselves how to still eat the foods we like, just less of them and in moderation, then that is the true NSV ….just my .02...
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. Now, next time have 1 cookie or 1 piece of cake, fit it in your daily calorie goals, and don't freak out about it. Depriving yourself will work short term, but what you really want is permanent behavioral change towards moderation.
  • addokai
    addokai Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    sigh …you could of had some and ate less of other stuff during the day and fit the stuff into your macro count and calorie deficit for the day ….that is more of a win in my opinion …when we teach ourselves how to still eat the foods we like, just less of them and in moderation, then that is the true NSV ….just my .02...
    This!
  • ShineLewis
    Options
    Last night my husband and kids ate popeyes chicken. It was late and I wanted a piece so bad. I went in my room when they came home with the chicken to help me fight the temptation. When I did go into the kitchen my 16year old was doing the dishes. I went to get a piece of the chicken and he squirted me with cold water and told me NO. It was soooooo funny and just what I needed, I returned to my bedroom took a bath and went to sleep feeling real good about myself and thankful for the support system.
  • sue_langley
    sue_langley Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You didn't feel the urge to have any that day, and you chose not to. Some other time when you "just gotta have it" you will choose to have some.
    You didn't give in to peer pressure and choose to have some just because others are. I heard a counselor say "never tell yourself you "can't" have something. That causes feelings of deprivation. Instead tell yourself "sure I can have that, and I don't feel like it today. Maybe tomorrow".
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Last night my husband and kids ate popeyes chicken. It was late and I wanted a piece so bad. I went in my room when they came home with the chicken to help me fight the temptation. When I did go into the kitchen my 16year old was doing the dishes. I went to get a piece of the chicken and he squirted me with cold water and told me NO. It was soooooo funny and just what I needed, I returned to my bedroom took a bath and went to sleep feeling real good about myself and thankful for the support system.

don't you think it would be better to teach yourself the moderation to eat one piece, rather then have to hide every time there is something good in the house that you like???
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options

don't you think it would be better to teach yourself the moderation to eat one piece, rather then have to hide every time there is something good in the house that you like???

but how do you teach yourself to do it?
  • WordWhimsy
    WordWhimsy Posts: 254 Member
    Options

When it's something I really want, I tell myself, just 3 bites. It's usually those first three bites that are the best anyway :) Some people feel they need to avoid things absolutely, I'm not judging, everyone is different. That's just what seems to work for me.
  • ecottencat
    ecottencat Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Good Job! I love that high you get when you realize that you can pass on that junk food and you do just that. From what I have experienced loving sweets is after awhile you don't really want it no more. In the evenings I will allow myself one cookie and I'm fine. In face the other day I went for some frozen custard and the toppings at a place I liked and threw half of it away cause it was too sweet and made it disgusting to me.

I did love one comment from someone I read on this site awhile ago. I know what a doughnut or whatever sweet item you are going for tastes like so I don't need to eat it.
  • ndj1979
    Options

step 1 is realizing that there is no "bad' or "good" food there is just food that your body uses for energy.
    step 2 is realizing what the calorie counts of the foods that you like are, and how to build your day around them
    step 3 so when you want ice cream, pizza whatever...log it into your diary first and see how many calories you have left for the day ..and then build in the rest of what you want ...as long as you eat at maintenance or maintain your deficit you will be good to go .

Restriction of foods you like is going to leave to eventual binging on foods that you like...
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!