Do I have to give up sweets to lose weight???

Options
13»

Replies

• PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    You say you weigh your food (kudos to you) but are you measuring your workouts accurately? An HRM with a chest strap is the most accurate method as MFP will wildly exaggerate calorie burns as well as machines. If you are accurately measuring your food, then the next thing to check would be how much you *think* you are burning and get more accurate with that. There are some fairly cheap HRMs out there (I suggest Polar [since they sync with many fitness machines] although I've heard others recommend Garmin).
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the honest feedback! I will try to tighten up my logging even more and under-estimate the calories I burn with exercise. Ya, counting the calories burned from cleaning and walking at a leisurely pace is probably not a good idea. :laugh: It is nice to hear that so many of you have kept sweets/treats in your diet and still have had success. Thanks for sharing what has worked for you - it's giving me hope that I really can do this with diligence and patience!
  • MargieBettschen
    MargieBettschen Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    No way! I have dark chocolate almost every night.
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Give it up no..but reduce carbs and sugar would be great.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I concur that a heart rate monitor could help you better estimate your cardio burns. I went for a run last week and when I entered it my hrm had my burn at around 380 calories for 33 minutes and mfp put me at 1400+ for the same amount of time and average speed.

Even an app I use to track my speed wasn't that bad an estimate for a calorie burn at 400 something.
  • deliacm
    deliacm Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'd venture to say that most failed diet plans failed because people believed they had to deprive themselves of all the guilty pleasures. The only way to sustain weight loss is to learn how to eat the things you want in moderation or by adjusting the rest of your daily intake. If I know I want to eat a huge piece of cake for dessert, I know I need to eat foods with low calories in each of my meals. On those days, I fill lunch and dinner with TONS of veggies that fill me up without consuming all my daily calorie allowance.