Calling all people who only have/had little to lose

Options
I'm really struggling with my weight loss especially because I know it's even harder to lose when you have little to lose.
I'm 5'2, 19yo, and weigh 120/+lbs. For my two months of summer (Apr-May), I want to lose 5-10lbs.
I haven't been logging because 1) the new update on mfp has been inconvenient, 2) I want to stop because it's been some sort of disorder for me to always count BUT I take mental notes on how many cals I eat for a good estimate.
I'm going to work out 3-6 times a day with fitnessblender.com's kettlebell workouts.
And I am skinny fat to the maxxxx. My tummy is the only fat part. My thighs did get bigger. My face did get a bit chubbier huhu. But other than that, my other body parts are thin.

So yeah, I hope to find inspiration from other people who are almost sort of like me or used to be like me. Hope to get help from y'all :)

Replies

• lesteidel
    lesteidel Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Three to six times is a bit excessive. For what you want to do, you would do better to worry less about calories and do strength training, that will tighten you up.

Also, unless you have ALOT of weight to lose, which you don't, losing ten pounds in two months might be unrealistic. It doesn't sound like you need to lose a lot of weight though. Just tighten up what you have, One good strength training exercise session a day should do it. You need weight bearing exercise and you need to remember your muscles need rest do properly recover.
  • daniflems
    daniflems Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Three to six times is a bit excessive. For what you want to do, you would do better to worry less about calories and do strength training, that will tighten you up.

Also, unless you have ALOT of weight to lose, which you don't, losing ten pounds in two months might be unrealistic. It doesn't sound like you need to lose a lot of weight though. Just tighten up what you have, One good strength training exercise session a day should do it. You need weight bearing exercise and you need to remember your muscles need rest do properly recover.

^^^This. There's a big misconception that weighing less means looking better...trust me if you start getting into some serious strength training and PUT ON 5 pounds of lean muscle you will look better than you do now.
  • mmargarette
    mmargarette Posts: 89 Member
    Options

^^^This. There's a big misconception that weighing less means looking better...trust me if you start getting into some serious strength training and PUT ON 5 pounds of lean muscle you will look better than you do now.

How do i put on muscle? Will kettlebell workouts help me build muscle? How long does muscle building take?
  • mmargarette
    Options

Oops i meant a week!!
  • lesteidel
    lesteidel Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    You put on muscle by working your muscles. Yes kettle bells will work as long as it's a weight that's challenging for you. Lifting weights or using your body weight (like push-ups, pull ups, sit ups etc.)
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I'm also the near the same size and trying to lose a small amount. I'm 5 1.5" and would like to be down around 115. My current weight is between 121-125. I'm also older, so my metabolism is much slower. I'd say 10 lbs. in 2 months is too ambitious. I aimed for 10 lbs. in 3 months, and it's been almost two months, and I have lost about 5 lbs. My body fat percent is lower, though, and I look better in clothes because I've been working out more. I'd agree with what the other posters say -- focus on fitness because it's really hard to lose small amounts of weight, especially if you're a smaller person. I've been sticking with 1200 a day, and it doesn't come off that fast because my BMR is around 1500-1600. It's just really hard to create a serious deficit without starving yourself.
  • mmargarette
    Options
    I'm also the near the same size and trying to lose a small amount. I'm 5 1.5" and would like to be down around 115. My current weight is between 121-125. I'm also older, so my metabolism is much slower. I'd say 10 lbs. in 2 months is too ambitious. I aimed for 10 lbs. in 3 months, and it's been almost two months, and I have lost about 5 lbs. My body fat percent is lower, though, and I look better in clothes because I've been working out more. I'd agree with what the other posters say -- focus on fitness because it's really hard to lose small amounts of weight, especially if you're a smaller person. I've been sticking with 1200 a day, and it doesn't come off that fast because my BMR is around 1500-1600. It's just really hard to create a serious deficit without starving yourself.

do you mean tdee? my bmr is 1277. but yes i do agree that for our size, a serious deficit is hard.
    ill aim for 10lbs in three months then :)
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    What's TDEE. MFP said that to maintain my weight is 1510 (I'm lightly active, not sedentary), and put me at 1200 to lose. That's a deficit of only 310 calories.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    In your case, weight isn't the issue. You probably want to reduce your body fat. So strength training would be your friend. HIIT was also helpful for me.
  • mmargarette
    Options
    What's TDEE. MFP said that to maintain my weight is 1510 (I'm lightly active, not sedentary), and put me at 1200 to lose. That's a deficit of only 310 calories.

that 1510 is your tdee :)
  • mmargarette
    Options
    In your case, weight isn't the issue. You probably want to reduce your body fat. So strength training would be your friend. HIIT was also helpful for me.

even though i gained the weight? i gained 20lbs during my first two years in college and my body fat really got higher. but yeah ok i'll just keep up with my deficit and strength training :)
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    What I meant is not to focus on the scale. In my profile, I have a side by side before and after pic. I weigh the same, but looked very different.
  • mmargarette
    Options
    What I meant is not to focus on the scale. In my profile, I have a side by side before and after pic. I weigh the same, but looked very different.

just saw it. good job! :) what was your routine?
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options

Yes - at some point, weight is not the issue. It's size/appearance that becomes important.

I only have about 10 lb to lose. I could lose it relatively quickly but would torpedo the actual objective which is better sports performance. So this is going to take about 2-3 months. And ideally go to 10% body fat or less while building fitness.

My wife has always been thin, but after some periods of physical inactivity she was unhappy with her state. She had an "aha" moment when she realized it wasn't her weight that was the issue, it was body composition and general fitness. The unfortunate aspect of this is that building muscle can take a bit longer than losing weight for some people.

(PS - muscle is much more dense than fat. So you could weigh more, but be more toned and measure less).
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    I do HIIT or FIT (focus interval training) I am 5'8.75" and weigh 140lbs. I have lost 5lbs in two weeks (average net calories of 1300 but eat 1600-1700) but I am only doing a 25 minute work out. I like to mix cardio and strength. :)
  • nineteentwenty
    nineteentwenty Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    You put on muscle by working your muscles. Yes kettle bells will work as long as it's a weight that's challenging for you. Lifting weights or using your body weight (like push-ups, pull ups, sit ups etc.)

Is there any "tightening" exercise you would recommend? I'd love a pointer. I'm currently 135.4lbs, 5'9", and losing about 1-1.5lbs a week from running for 30-45min per day.
  • mmargarette
    Options

Is there any "tightening" exercise you would recommend? I'd love a pointer. I'm currently 135.4lbs, 5'9", and losing about 1-1.5lbs a week from running for 30-45min per day.

from what I know, you just really have to lower your body fat percentage :) strength training!
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

Lifting heavy weights. Stronglifts 5x5 and Starting Strength are popular places to start around here.