What can I do with a whole head of kale?

Options
ginyspills
ginyspills Posts: 12 Member
I keep reading about the health benefits of kale. I usually eat spinach or romaine, but want to try some new greens. I've read about kale crisps and a kale soup, but does anyone have any interesting ideas? How do you inhale your kale? :-D

Replies

• LozPenguin
    LozPenguin Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I love putting kale in my stirfry. You can shred it, mix it in, and use quite a lot of it that way. Also if you make a vegetarian lasagne, you can chop it and mix it in with your sauce/layers; you don't even notice its in there and yet you get all the benefits of kale-goodness. :)
  • ginyspills
    ginyspills Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Great idea! I haven't had a stir-fry in ages!! Ohh, now I can't wait until dinner tonight :-D Cheers, Penguin!
  • LisaBeateith2012
    LisaBeateith2012 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I juice a whole head of kale most mornings...super duper goodness before I go out for the day!:drinker:
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I chuck kale into everything, I love it! We had it in a veggie curry last night, and today I have wilted greens and peanut butter rice for lunch. Yum!
  • fattybumclaire
    fattybumclaire Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Kale chips - recipe makes 6 servings

1 bunch kale

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 teaspoon seasoned salt

Directions

Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a non insulated cookie sheet with parchment paper.
    With a knife or kitchen shears carefully remove the leaves from the thick stems and tear into bite size pieces. Wash and thoroughly dry kale with a salad spinner. Drizzle kale with olive oil and sprinkle with seasoning salt. Smoosh it around with your hands to ensure even coverage.
    Bake until the edges brown but are not burnt, 10 to 15 minutes.
  • shoneybabes
    shoneybabes Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I just add it in everything. Its an awesome versatile green.

stir frys
    soups
    smoothies
    salads (although I am still not sure about that)
    sauteed with other greens and garlic
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Iv only tried it raw in salads, def be stealing some of those other ideas :)
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Try making kale chips. They're amazing. I like mine with olive oil, garlic and sea salt or with nutritional yeast (kinda cheesy tasting) and sea salt.
  • CardiacKev28
    CardiacKev28 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Saute it with olive or coconut oil with roasted red peppers
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I make a Zuppa Toscana low fat copy cat recipe that includes about 4 cups of chopped kale. It's like spinach - that seems like a lot but once it wilts down, there's not a whole lot to it. I've thought about adding more like 5 or 6 cups in the future.

I've also used it basically as a spinach substitute. You have to cook it a bit longer to get the same consistency but you can't really tell much of a difference IMHO.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I love kale just lightly sauteed in olive oil and garlic. Takes about 5-7 total to cook.

It's also a great addition to pasta sauces and bean/rice dishes.

I also often use it on a sandwich wrap or in a salad.
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    Kale chips of course:)
  • MrsHollingsworthThomas
    Options
    Kale chips or put it in a smoothie!
  • Jazz_2014
    Jazz_2014 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    click on search and type in kale. There have been lots of threads on kale. I was amazed of how many ways to enjoy it. My personal favorite is sautéed with onions and garlic. Then add cubed baked sweet potato. The recipe was written for a cold salad but I never can get past the cooking stage as we eat it the salad warm.
    The favorite, I believe, of most that post is kale chips.
  • blgerig
    blgerig Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I cut the kale into ribbons discarding the stems and cook it with some chili flakes, garlic and a little pepperoni - even my vegetable adverse husband likes it that way! I like to take salads to work and mixed with some cabbage with some dressing massaged in, the salad keeps in the fridge better than less hearty leaves.
  • mkcolombia
    mkcolombia Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I love it with eggs in the morning. Sautee in a little olive oil, pour in 3 egg whites and 1 egg. Wrap in tortilla. Sooo good! My favorite breakfast, adds a great taste and texture to the eggs
  • ibleedunionblue
    ibleedunionblue Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I chopped it up and used it in a raw cold mixed salad last night.
  • KayLgee
    KayLgee Posts: 139
    Options
    Clean it, chop it up (not too small but easier to eat), steam it for 5 mins and then throw it in a pan with bacon, garlic, butter and some salt and pepper.
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Chop up one slice of bacon and render it in the skillet. Chop up the kale and sauté in the bacon with red chili flake, a little olive oil and garlic. Salt and pepper of course. And at the end before serving, a light splash of white balsamic vinegar. Wonderful! Can omit bacon if you want, but everything is better with bacon and only adds about 10@ calories to the whole thing.

Enjoy!