I'm freezing

Options
I have been really freezing all the time (well, not when working out) since I have lost my weight. I just noticed it probably a few weeks ago. This is definitely a new thing since the weight loss. Does anyone know how the two could be connected? I was talking to my husband and made a joke that I still had plenty of fat to keep me warm and so I did not know what the problem was and he said muscle mass keeps you warm - which made me wonder if my body is really losing muscle instead of fat? That would be really annoying! Does anyone know how to tell if that is what's happening, have suggestions, or maybe another explanation for me? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• betterme
    betterme Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have been really freezing all the time (well, not when working out) since I have lost my weight. I just noticed it probably a few weeks ago. This is definitely a new thing since the weight loss. Does anyone know how the two could be connected? I was talking to my husband and made a joke that I still had plenty of fat to keep me warm and so I did not know what the problem was and he said muscle mass keeps you warm - which made me wonder if my body is really losing muscle instead of fat? That would be really annoying! Does anyone know how to tell if that is what's happening, have suggestions, or maybe another explanation for me? Thanks in advance.
  • spacie
    spacie Posts: 82
    Options
    Subcutaneous fat is what keeps you warm, for example a seals body is 56per cent fat. Although fat helps keep ypu warm our heat detectors are on the surface of our skin so we may feel cold although our body's core temperature is fine.
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    Options
    I have been cold for years, I even had a thyroid test because I was so frustrated, (it was normal) Spacie is right about the fat, but even when I gained weight I was always cold, I think some of us are just cold! Get that circulation going and wear your socks! Are you a smoker? Smokers generally have poorer ciculation than others.

Anne
  • betterme
    Options
    Thank you for the replies. That makes sense about fat insulating, I had thought that before. The reason I started wondering if it could be muscle after my husband said that was because most men are warmer than women even though they have less percent of fat in general. No, I have never smoked. The reason I am asking this question is that this is definitely a new development for me since the weight loss. Every night before I would turn our heater way down before going to bed and now I have to turn it way up and I'm still shivering under the blanket, so it just seems odd.
  • MissMe9669
    Options
    I have 3 friends that are always cold... all three of them have low Iron...and are SUPPOSE to be taking Iron supplements! (But they don't!!)

To lose weight... have you cut out a lot of Red Meat???

I would get your Iron levels checked.... If you decide to get it checked keep us posted on the outcome!!
  • betterme
    Options
    The iron is an idea. I haven't cut out red meat but I have never eaten much red meat, so that may be a possibility. Thanks for that idea.
  • dmflynt
    dmflynt Posts: 196
    Options
    My husband and I noticed the same thing as we have been losing weight. 17 lbs ago, I wore summer nightgowns all year (even in sub-zero weather).....now I'm wearing long-sleeved ones this winter!
  • rockymtnguy
    Options
    Iron content is an important part to the picture. The fat content also plays a vital part. Answers, I certainly don't have them. I do know my sister (who was a basket ball player) , with a very low amount of body fat, a very lean individual was always cold. The doctors advised her to take an all womans vitamin, and she said that this helped.
  • flachix
    flachix Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    definiately try the iron, also, for a burst of heat try a niacin supplement. when we ride in cold weather, we take a couple of niacin supplement tabs and it causes a heat flush. it only lasts a while, but it amps up the bodies heat index enough to help. ask your doc of course.
  • betterme
    Options
    Thank you all for your ideas. I can't think of a cheap way to get tested to see if I'm anemic so I think I will just try taking a multivitamin with iron first to see if there is any improvement. I probably need the vitamins anyway. Thanks. :smile:
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Iron content is an important part to the picture. The fat content also plays a vital part. Answers, I certainly don't have them. I do know my sister (who was a basket ball player) , with a very low amount of body fat, a very lean individual was always cold. The doctors advised her to take an all womans vitamin, and she said that this helped.

Yep, Same thing happened to me. Doctor had me take iron.