Exercising and eating right but Ive GAINED weight!?!

Options
So. I just got on the scale and caught a pure attitude! I usually weigh everyday but this week I haven't...I started going to the gym last week and I have been going everyday doing cardio on the treadmill, the elliptical and utilizing the women's weight room. Nothing has changed about my diet, I stay right at my 1200 calories per day...How the the pure WORLD did i gain 2 pounds? This makes me want to stop going to the gym if my "just dieting" remedy was working better! Anybody have this same problem?

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    It's water for muscle repair. Also, remember to eat back at least some of your exercise calories to fuel your workout.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. Stop thinking of it as a straight line or you'll drive yourself crazy every time you have an unexplained fluctuation. Our weight changes day to day and hour to hour. We hold onto extra water to cushion and repair our muscles after exercise, or when we've eaten too much sodium, or if we're nearing our periods. Wait it out and it should go back down in a couple of weeks.
  • aplhabetacheesecake
    aplhabetacheesecake Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    definitely water with those weight lifting sessions- muscles swell and take on extra fluid for repair and this will show initially as a gain on the scale, but no fear, set your weigh in days the DAY AFER a rest day, or at least a day off of weights, this will be more accurate
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Yup, common and natural. Anytime you increase activity levels or increase the intensity of those activities (further, faster, more weight/reps/sets, etc) your muscles suffer microtrauma - which is pretty much why you're sore. Due to this, those tissues then retain water and glycogen as part of the natural healing process. It's kind of like when you sprain your ankle and it swells only not as visible due to being spread over a larger area. The end result is a temporary stall or gain on the scale. Your body will adapt but keep this in mind as you continue to challenge yourself with new/more difficult workouts.

Try drinking a bit more water and have a little patience. Oh and start taking body measurements if you haven't already. These can be a better measure of success when you're exercising.

And you should eat back at least half of earned calories. Gotta fuel that machine to keep it running right!
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Any time you start a new workout routine you'll gain weight for a few days / week. Sore muscles = water weight. As your body adjusts (for me, about four days after I stop feeling "sore"), the water weight will drop off.

Keep up with the workouts -- long term it will accelerate your weight loss and make it easier to maintain weight (and you'll feel better, too).
  • Alassonde
    Alassonde Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    This is actually one of the reasons I weigh every day. Weight fluctuates so much every day due to water weight, etc. I've always figured if I only weighed myself weekly I would probably always end up doing it on a "heavy" day....and not know that the day before I was 2 pounds lighter! I weigh every day because then I can see it go up and down and know if it's really staying up or if it's just a fluctuation. The 2 pounds you've "gained" is almost certainly water weight.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Why are you eating so little ...1200? Your body could be storing and not burning calories at that low amount.
  • Tee_geee
    Tee_geee Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Why are you eating so little ...1200? Your body could be storing and not burning calories at that low amount.

This is the amount of calories that myfitnesspal suggested i eat!
  • Tee_geee
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. Stop thinking of it as a straight line or you'll drive yourself crazy every time you have an unexplained fluctuation. Our weight changes day to day and hour to hour. We hold onto extra water to cushion and repair our muscles after exercise, or when we've eaten too much sodium, or if we're nearing our periods. Wait it out and it should go back down in a couple of weeks.

I drive myself past insane when it comes to my weight!!
  • Tee_geee
    Options
    I was wondering about eating the calories back after the workout! I havent been because Ive been scared to. So ive been working out and only eating 1200 calories...After I workout Im usually STARVING by that time...I actually kind of new to this weight loss thing! So any advice helps!
  • Bluebones2
    Options
    Also remember losing weight takes time and patience. try lowering your carb intake drinking more water getting more protein try going hungry a couple times a day the body will not burn fat if your snacking all day. I try to go hungry at least for a hour then eat twice a day.
  • diannethegeek
    Options

MFP also expects you to log your exercise and eat back at least some of the extra calories you earn when you workout.

I'm also going to guess you set your goal to lose 2 pounds per week (most people do). That goal may be too aggressive if your ticker is accurate and you only have about 30 pounds left to lose. You might consider backing it down to 1 pound per week. It's slower, but you'll be making sure you're fueling your body and feeding your workouts.
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    I was wondering about eating the calories back after the workout! I havent been because Ive been scared to. So ive been working out and only eating 1200 calories...After I workout Im usually STARVING by that time...I actually kind of new to this weight loss thing! So any advice helps!

Start here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants It's a lot of reading (and all of the linked posts are worth a read, too) but it's full of information that will get you going in the right direction.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options

Start with eating back about half of them. MFP calorie burns are pretty inaccurate for most people, so 50% is a conservative place to start.

While I agree that due to your new workout routine you are probably retaining some water, it wouldn't hurt to also buy a food scale to make sure you're logging as accurately as possible.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options

If you are afraid of gaining or not losing if you use your exercise calories then fill those with fruits and veggies.
  • Tee_geee
    Options

Start with eating back about half of them. MFP calorie burns are pretty inaccurate for most people, so 50% is a conservative place to start.

While I agree that due to your new workout routine you are probably retaining some water, it wouldn't hurt to also buy a food scale to make sure you're logging as accurately as possible.

I use a food scale, measuring cups ans a heart rate monitor to track my calories burned when working out! I never use what my fitness pal says for workouts because their always wrong!!
  • Jbarbo01
    Jbarbo01 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else said, its water. Your muscles pull it into them for healing after the micro tears after workouts. Also make sure you're eating your exercise calories.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    "Exercising and eating right but Ive GAINED weight!?!"

Wrong. How is it possible to exercise and eat 'right' if you are gaining weight, contrary to your goal? You are clearly eating/exercising wrong/mistakenly....
  • majoki
    majoki Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    "Exercising and eating right but Ive GAINED weight!?!"

Wrong. How is it possible to exercise and eat 'right' if you are gaining weight, contrary to your goal? You are clearly eating/exercising wrong/mistakenly....

Wrong. The discussion is there, but you stopped reading after the headline. It seems it's probably just a bit of water retention due to a new workout routine.