Gift ideas needed.

Options
so i want to start running this january so i was wondering what would be good to have. i thought an mp3 player but what else would be good? Thank you in advance.

Replies

• msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    YAY!! RUNNING!!

You'll want a Heart Rate Monitor if you don't already have one, good running shoes (go to a running store to get fitted), a heavy duty supportive sports bra & properly fitting pants so you don't spend half your run holding them up. Some ideas to get you started anyway. :bigsmile:

Happy running!
  • aigéan
    Options
    check out Nike+ !! I use it and love it!
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    SHOES!!! ...ask for awesome running shoes, they will be key to your success. :)
  • SandraMay1982
    Options
    A HRM and if you want to track KM's you have done the Nike+ sensor is good for indoor runs and the GPS app for the iphone (i don't knowif they have an android version) is good for outdoor runs.
  • brenott
    brenott Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Shoes - a runner's feet are the most important thing!!!!!! That and a good supportive bra. All the other stuff is really is fluff and you'll learn what you like or want by reading good websites (runner world, Active.com) or runners magazines.

Don't go cheap on the shoes, or you're opening yourself up to injuries. I had a good pair of shoes, and when they wore out, i replaced them with a cheap pair of shoes. My legs always felt tired, my back hurt, I got shin splint, I pull my hamstring, and I was miserable. I just bought a new pair of Asics Platinum 4's this weekend. I had one of the cheap shoes on and one of the new shoes on and could feel a big difference in support.

Also, they tell you to replace them every 3-6 months. I don't run marathons, just 5ks, so maybe 10 miles a week, and my shoes have lasted about a year.

Also, make sure any clothing you get is Wicking. This include SOCKS (very important). Otherwise, you'll sweat and then chafe or blister, and then you're miserable.

Last, set goals. My sister is a marathon runner and finds running fun. I don't find running fun, but I do have goals, so I do look forward to it. And races are VERY addicting!!!!
  • brittlynne3579
    brittlynne3579 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Good breathable workout clothes. Seriously, from sports bra to jogging pants...it makes a HUGE difference in keeping you dry always and cool in the summer/warm in the winter!!
  • amguyberson
    amguyberson Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Good SHOES!!!!!!!! I've found that this is KEY to a good run.. If you go to a true running store they will usually fit you for a pair of running shoes. In South Bend, IN there is a store called Metro Run and Walk and they put me in about 6 different pair of shoes and watched me run in each pair to see how my feet, ankles, legs body etc reacted in each pair. They narrowed it down to two pair that were good for me and my running style and I just had to choose the one I liked.

Also, If you want to keep track of heart rate a heart rate monitor and maybe a pedomiter.
    Good Running pants/capris..

Hopefully that helps! ;)
  • amguyberson
    amguyberson Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    PS.. I agree with everyone on the good bra.. I suggest Victoria Secret IPEX.. This helps with the bouncing effect! :) Saves your tatas from YEARS of stretching.. Did you know that for every mile you walk/jog your tatas bounce 4miles... The IPEX is supposed to keep the girls in place to prevent that! :)