Broken Ankle

Options
Hello!
I apologize if you've already covered this in the past...

Back in March, I dislocated and broke my ankle in 3 places. Surgery, a plate, 11 screws... last week, I went back to the surgeon for follow-up x-rays, and it turns out that the inside of the ankle is still cracked. So I'm back in the boot.

It's been a long 5 months, and the worst part (well, at least it's the worst thing at the moment) is that I've been gaining weight.

I really need to exercise, but need to be really careful about putting pressure on this ankle. I don't know what to do. Any suggestions for things I can do to get started on an exercise routine even though I'm still broken?

Thank you!

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I broke mine 3 times. My only advice is to do what is comfortable. And healing takes a looooong time!
  • emjean76
    emjean76 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    My husband is in the same boat. Broken fibula and torn ligaments from his ankle. Anyway, I found some good cardio, upper and lower body workouts that you can do while seated in a chair on a site similar to MFP called Spark People.
  • histora
    histora Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Can you swim? I severely sprained my ankle this last weekend, so next week I hope to take up swimming for exercise instead. I can bear partial weight but it is so sore when I move about. Granted, I'm still on a crutch, but I hear you about not wanting to gain extra weight. I've been reducing my intake a little to make up for the forced sedentary lifestyle.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    If you have a gym membership, you can still do upper body exercises. Just use common sense for it. Swimming also sounds like a great idea.
  • renee1254
    renee1254 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    broke my left ankle in Aug 7 months later and all 30 lbs I lost is back :( I'm currently eating better and walking but the impact is still very uncomfortable ... any suggestions :smile: