How much do you spend on food a week?

Options
Hi,

Just a general question about how much you spend on food a week. Food is my biggest monthly expense after rent. Even more when I am not being healthy because I tend to eat out, buy in a lot when I am stuffing my face.

In my house I have 12 week old baby, me, my husband and 2 cats.
I spend £65 a week including nappies, baby milk/wipes, cat food and my husbands packed lunches. Lots of fresh fruit and veg and lots of meat and home cooking. Good/bad?

What is your spending like?

Thanks,

Jasmin xx

Replies

• SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I have a 3 year old, a 10 month old, two dogs, a cat, two fish tanks, a Lizard and a husband. I spend about 170 on everyone a week. Heh
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    200$ Cdn a week (yes the cdn makes a difference)...typically 180 on the weekend then another 20 through the week for milk...

There are 3 adults in my house...myself, my son and my husband...that ranges from cookies (oreos) to fresh fruits/veggies/meat/sides etc...

So for 65 pounds sterling that converts to about 120$ cdn a week..you are very lucky.
  • Woodster83
    Woodster83 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Just me and my boyfriend here and I seem to spend a lot!

£70 a week from me, £50 from him..

I am healthy eating though which tends to cost a lot more, and more high quality meat, fish etc.

I'm sure I could do it cheaper, but I'm not unhappy with the food I eat and I have a large choice of nice food, so I'm just going with the flow for now.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    My husband and I spend between $20-60 per week on groceries. It is just the two of us. We also spend $15-60 per week dining out though.

So I guess per month we spend a total of $140-400+ on our food. It varies a LOT... generally though we eat very cheap at home and cook most of our meals at home.

We just really like going out for good food (often Mexican, sushi, Thai or Korean). It is our main "entertainment", we don't have cable etc.
  • allotmentgardener
    allotmentgardener Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Just under £60 per week and an extra £50-60 every 6-7 weeks to restock freezers. This covers me, husband, an 18 year old, a 14year old and two large dogs. This ensures we stock the cupboards so some weeks we only need fresh stuff.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    About $400 every 2 weeks. I have 2 sons, 15 and 19 and my hubby!!
  • starbucksbuzz
    starbucksbuzz Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Great thread. I think it's easy to talk about the healthy eating without talking about the price tag. :/ I would say weekly my grocery bill averages out to around 100-150 a week for my husband and I - as others have said sometimes that includes meals out or takeout instead of actual groceries, but when I'm shopping and cooking I end up spending about that.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Circa £500-520 per month for my daughter, missus and I - this including the odd takeaway and/or meal out, probably 2 a month.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options

I am healthy eating though which tends to cost a lot more, and more high quality meat, fish etc.

No it doesnt cost more. High quality meat and fish is not necessarily more healthy
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    food maybe $80 a week

i buy for just myself and it consists of

milk, fat free yogurt, lettuce, croutons, salad dressing, chicken, pasta, spag sauce, salad toppers, eggs, ham, cheese, 1 digornio pizza, butter, jelly, cereal, english muffins (some items i buy twice in a week such as milk and lettuce)

every two months i spend about $60 on Met-rx Meal Replacement mix for my shakes
  • delmauriac
    delmauriac Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Myself, the OH, a dog, two cats and 5 chickens ... I spend about £70 a week on food for home, plus about another £15 per week for my lunches at work I reckon. I should really make my own lunch, but I really can't face it at ~5am when I'm getting ready (and there's nothing worse than soggy sandwiches from being made the night before!)
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    About $100/week for just me. I eat a ton of meat, at least a pound per day.
  • jclist1
    jclist1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Myself, my wife and our 2 year old son and we spend about $150 a week on groceries plus another $50 if we do a meal out, which we do a couple times a month.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    $100-$150, just me
  • mlanders22
    mlanders22 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    It's me and my toddler (half the time) and I spend around $40-$60 per week on groceries/household expenses. I also allow myself one meal out per week and one coffee per week so that adds another $10-$14 or so.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    $50-$100 per week for Me, my daughter, and a dog.
  • abickford82
    abickford82 Posts: 207
    Options
    On average $100 a week. It's just myself, my husband, and 11 year old daughter (who most of the time eats like an adult male). My husband and I also drink Shakeology, so that's $200 extra month. So $600 on average a month.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Just a general question about how much you spend on food a week. Food is my biggest monthly expense after rent. Even more when I am not being healthy because I tend to eat out, buy in a lot when I am stuffing my face.

In my house I have 12 week old baby, me, my husband and 2 cats.
    I spend £65 a week including nappies, baby milk/wipes, cat food and my husbands packed lunches. Lots of fresh fruit and veg and lots of meat and home cooking. Good/bad?

What is your spending like?

Thanks,

Jasmin xx

wow! theres only my husband and i and we spend on average £80 on a weekly shop and then i may spend another £5-£10 through the week...
  • ashandstuff
    ashandstuff Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I spend around $70 per week and it's just me!!!!
    I like cooking too much. :(
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    $50-100 most weeks, usually one week is pushing $200 because I buy a bunch of meat when it's on sale and freeze it, specifically chicken, not so much with steaks.