300lb runner wise or unwise ? all tips welcome please

Options
Hi im 300lbs 6ft 4 ive dropped 118lbs in weight , i want to start running again but im a bit worried if i do i may damage my legs ankles knees etc , why i say this is every now and again my achiles tendon aches or i pull my calf this is just with walking the dog for 1 hour at a fast pace ! , i do high intensity training now jumping leaping all part of a circut that i do now and enjoy i dont get problems from that , i would hate to think i had to stop useing my legs in exercise . here is were im at with running now . part of my routines is the treadmill run at 12kph for 1 minute 30 second rest x 4 in part of a routine 4 runs 4 squats 4 barbell 4 crunches only a part of the routine i do now, i feel ok bit out of breath for a brief peroid i can handle that, what im asking is there a good routine or tip to get back to running Thanks Dave

Replies

• blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I'm only 5ft 4 and started running / jogging at my heaviest at 245 lbs. I didn't really follow a plan, I would just walk fast and then do a jog. When I got too out of breath to carry on I would slow to a walk.... and just repeat. Personally I think you would be fine as long as you take it really steady and don't push yourself too much. Make it a challenge but stop if you feel any pain. And take it slowly.

Having said that, I'm not a running coach or a doctor, this is just my opinion based on my personal experience. Sounds like you are doing great though and well done on your loss so far, that is incredible!
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    This is a really great beginners running post someone (IMO very smart) put together that is a great read if you are interested:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1217573-so-you-want-to-start-running

Alot of people love the C25k app and have had success with it so that might be worth looking into. Basically it starts you out in running/walking intervals and works you up to running a 5k. Once you are there you can go anywhere you want to with it!

~Best wishes. If you want a beginner running buddy feel free to add me
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    A lot of folks like the Couch 2 5k program. There are a bunch of resources online and apps as well.

Personally though, I didn't like the structure of that program so I did the same as blueboxgeek - just slowly increased the time of my running intervals. I'd run until I lost my breath then walk for a couple minutes, then try running again. And with time and practice I was running more than walking. Don't worry overmuch about your speed for now, just work on the time and keep it slow and easy.

As far as joints, etc. I'm thinking if high impact stuff like jumping jacks don't bother you, the impact of running shouldn't. You may want to look into getting running shoes from a speciality store that will make sure you have the right model, fit, etc. Obviously though, listen to your body. If you're hurting, back off a bit, let things rest and heal and then try again.

Cross training is excellent for runners so keep up that varied routine! Good luck!
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k. If the beginning seems to easy (since you are already working out pretty hard), skip ahead to where it feels right--tough, but not impossible. Make sure you get good running shoes first (I didn't and had achy knees at first). Take it slow, ease off if you feel pain, take more rest days if you need to. There is a C25K group if you want more info/pointers/advice.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Whatever plan you choose (I hear good things about C25K) the most important things to a guy your size is to run slow (walk too - don't push yourself) and get fitted for shoes.

I'd be looking into some very supportive/cushioned shoes like Hokas, Brooks Transcends/Beasts, etc, but go to a shop and have them fit you up.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Hi im 300lbs 6ft 4 ive dropped 118lbs in weight , i want to start running again but im a bit worried if i do i may damage my legs ankles knees etc ,

I've known several new runners who have started Couch to 5k at around that weight. Take it really slowly and listen to your body. You might need to repeat days or take additional rest days. Make sure you warm up with a walk and dynamic stretches if you are having trouble with tight calves. Stretch after. Learn to foam roll.
    part of my routines is the treadmill run at 12kph for 1 minute 30 second rest ... i feel ok bit out of breath for a brief period

That is really fast. You'll want to stay more at the pace you walk the dog if you transition into running.

One of the differences between running fast and running slow is that fast running forces you to use better form. A lot (most) people will slouch over and not keep their core as engaged when they are slower.

I took a Good Form Running clinic when I was brand-new. It helped me learn some of the basics: http://www.goodformrunning.com/

And yes, shoes. Good shoes. Fitted at a running store.
  • BeingKevin
    BeingKevin Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I started running at around 325 pounds. A few suggestions:

* download a C25K app and give it a shot.
    * In the beginning I would give myself 2 days off between running to give my legs more time to recover.
    * if something feels off, or hurts, just stop. Listen to your body.
    * Go to a running store to get fitted for running shoes. Unbelievable difference.
    * If you are struggling to get through a day of C25K just go slower. Don't worry about how fast or slow you are - speed will come.

If I know anything for certain it is that my body was capable of a lot more than I ever imagined - it was my mind that I had to convince not to quit. Best of luck to you!
  • asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    IMO, the jumping and leaping is what is causing you the pain in your Achilles and calf. You may feel it when you are walking and running, but it is the jumping that is causing it. I have been running for more than a decade and the only time my Achilles and/or calves hurt is after a workout that has box jumps or jumping rope in it. Make sure you are doing plenty of calf stretches after jumping workouts and roll our your feet with a lacrosse or golf ball to help prevent plantar fasciitis.
  • davecando
    davecando Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm only 5ft 4 and started running / jogging at my heaviest at 245 lbs. I didn't really follow a plan, I would just walk fast and then do a jog. When I got too out of breath to carry on I would slow to a walk.... and just repeat. Personally I think you would be fine as long as you take it really steady and don't push yourself too much. Make it a challenge but stop if you feel any pain. And take it slowly.

Having said that, I'm not a running coach or a doctor, this is just my opinion based on my personal experience. Sounds like you are doing great though and well done on your loss so far, that is incredible!
    Thank you good solid advice
  • davecando
    Options
    IMO, the jumping and leaping is what is causing you the pain in your Achilles and calf. You may feel it when you are walking and running, but it is the jumping that is causing it. I have been running for more than a decade and the only time my Achilles and/or calves hurt is after a workout that has box jumps or jumping rope in it. Make sure you are doing plenty of calf stretches after jumping workouts and roll our your feet with a lacrosse or golf ball to help prevent plantar fasciitis.
    i try not to blame the jumping jacks box jumps and everything else i do as i know they really tire me out and i progress with them but deep down i know im to heavy for them skipping is ok as well Thanks for advice
  • asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    i try not to blame the jumping jacks box jumps and everything else i do as i know they really tire me out and i progress with them but deep down i know im to heavy for them skipping is ok as well Thanks for advice

When you do box jumps, only jump on the way up and step down. You will save your Achilles. We had a guy, a really fit guy, blow out his Achilles doing rebounding box jumps a few weeks ago.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    This is likely to be an unpopular opinion, but I am glad I waited until I was not obese to start running. The amount of strain it puts on my body at a healthy weight is pretty high...I'm grateful I didn't put my joints through the pounding when I weighed 300 pounds. There was plenty of exercise I could do that was less stressful. Plus the bonus is that I was fit and strong when I actually did start running so it was more enjoyable and easier.
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Whatever plan you choose (I hear good things about C25K) the most important things to a guy your size is to run slow (walk too - don't push yourself) and get fitted for shoes.

This is solid advice. If you want to become a better runner, you need to build aerobic fitness. The best way to do this is by spending a lot of time at a slow pace. If you get out of breath, walk for a while.

The biggest problem I had running when heavier was chafing, so I would advise investing in petroleum jelly or something similar.
  • rhoshambeau
    rhoshambeau Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I run at 330 lbs. Just go at your own pace. I recommend the c25k program. And buy good shoes it'll help.
  • davecando
    Options
    This is all good advice, the shoes are quite important i have noticed over the last 18 months that my new balance trainers are not as good as they used to be. had 3 pairs ! i went to a store on sat picke d up loads they where all very light no suport so im looking at gettinga foot fitting for some sturdy trainers as this may be the cause of my calf strain and achiles tendons problem im having, the c25 program looks good if i remember rightly when i first started running years ago i used a treadmill 1 on 1 off then 2 on 1 off got to 20 minutes then i could just run for ever it seemed when i say for ever 90 minutes was the most i ever did which was good i was 250 lbs back then i will start this weekend on my running Thanks for all the advise and input
  • likitisplit
    Options
    90 minutes is a nice run. If you've done this before, it should be pretty easy to get back into the swing of it. The body makes adaptations to running that never really go away.
  • likitisplit
    Options

This is solid advice. If you want to become a better runner, you need to build aerobic fitness. The best way to do this is by spending a lot of time at a slow pace. If you get out of breath, walk for a while.

The biggest problem I had running when heavier was chafing, so I would advise investing in petroleum jelly or something similar.

Body Glide