Struggling with support

Options
Hello MFP people!
Basics: 5'4", 139lb.

Ideal weight is 114lb which I used to be when I was running and walking regularly.

I work from home so pretty sedentary, but also gives me the flexibility to choose my own exercise schedule.

The thing I struggle with is external support. Family members think I'm way, way overweight and make references to me being chubby, telling me when I've put on weight etc. My husband is the opposite, thinks I'm fine as I am and that the pursuit of losing weight is just vanity to be skinny and get compliments.

Neither side is really helping. I'm looking to lose around 25lb, but slowly and sensibly.

I've used MFP in the past sporadically and it's helped so I'm determined to stick to it this time and hoping I can dip into the forums to find people who are looking to achieve the same results, and maybe get some accountability.

Good luck to you and your fitness goals! :-)

Replies

• josiemarie982
    josiemarie982 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    hi there, im happy to support you with your journey :) feel free to add me, good luck
  • penae82
    penae82 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi, I completely understand where you're coming from. Feel free to add me I'm happy to help offer support and encouragement on your journey. :smile:
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I have a lot more weight to lose than 25 lbs haha but I'm happy to support people on their way to wellness.
  • littleunred
    littleunred Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for replying - already it's given me a boost and made me feel there are people who know where I'm coming from! :-)
  • creammarie
    creammarie Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Morning! Add me, I need all the support I can get as well =] I just started using MFP yesterday and I'm looking to lose 25lbs as well! So we can motivate eachother! Good luck and I know you'll succeed:bigsmile:
  • lmjblues
    lmjblues Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Morning and WELCOME!! Feel free to add me if ya like. I'm just starting up...again... I have about 25lbs to lose too! We can do this together.

Lisa
  • Nickih4619093
    Nickih4619093 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Add me if you like, I'm trying to lose 20ish lbs too. I'm here everyday!
  • jenn11411
    jenn11411 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    i hope you can block out the negative comments by replacing them with supportive thoughts from MFP! feel free to add me. i want to lose about 45#.
  • tracybryson165
    Options
    I just started yesterday and need to lose 50...it does make you feel better when there are other people out there. please feel free to use me as well...it's only 9 a.m. and i'm thinking about food for the day.
  • twistyshakes
    twistyshakes Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I get where you're coming from. The lack of support really does make it hard to stick to a regular plan.
  • fercar3000
    fercar3000 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    It is not impossible to lose without support, I did it for the most part. My friends thought I was crazy, my husband was jealous that I was doing this on my own (not the reason he is about to become an ex-husband) but my kids thought I was amazing! Good luck, you can do this!
  • littleunred
    Options
    I wish I'd posted here sooner, just knowing there are other people out there in a similar situation with similar goals has given me a boost no end, and thank you to my new friends, looking through my home feed and seeing people's progress has been inspiring. Thanks everyone!
  • Zx14chick
    Zx14chick Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Little - I am 5'3", currently 131 and want to get back down to 118-120 so I know exactly where you are coming from. I am shocked that your family is so mean, you come right over here and talk to us! My usual problem with friends is that they say, "You're skinny anyway." If you'd like, send me a friend request and we can support one another on our journey.
  • RecklezzBeauty
    RecklezzBeauty Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hello MFP people!
    Basics: 5'4", 139lb.

Ideal weight is 114lb which I used to be when I was running and walking regularly.

I work from home so pretty sedentary, but also gives me the flexibility to choose my own exercise schedule.

The thing I struggle with is external support. Family members think I'm way, way overweight and make references to me being chubby, telling me when I've put on weight etc. My husband is the opposite, thinks I'm fine as I am and that the pursuit of losing weight is just vanity to be skinny and get compliments.

Neither side is really helping. I'm looking to lose around 25lb, but slowly and sensibly.

I've used MFP in the past sporadically and it's helped so I'm determined to stick to it this time and hoping I can dip into the forums to find people who are looking to achieve the same results, and maybe get some accountability.

Good luck to you and your fitness goals! :-)

SCREW WHAT EVERYONE ELSE SAYS -HOW YOU FEEL IS WHAT MATTERS AS LONG AS YOUR NOT TRYING TO HURT URSELF OR BODY!!

You are your own bestfriend- Right before I started this WLJ i noticed people telling me i looked thinner but I had actually gained 7 lbs and I was pissed so now I make sure I know if I am losing or gaining and I care about what I see in the mirror as far as results. Its not about being skinny its about being healthy and you do what you need to do to get there.

For those calling you chubby-Ignore them sweetie their opinion is NEITHER WANTED NOR NEEDED!

DO YOU GIRL!!
    you can add me if you want Havent lost much yet but I have tons to lose so im here for the long run
  • LindaFromNH
    LindaFromNH Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Friends are always great! Add me if you like and I will be there for you during your journey.. Let's do this together!
  • littleunred
    Options
    Hey Zx14Chick - I've had that "but you don't need to lose weight" from people too, and I know they mean well, but it's hard when I know what I want to do and why I want to do it, without being judged for it. Thanks so much for your post!

RecklezzBeaut - I'm looking forward to being absolutely honest about what i'm eating and what exercise I'm doing. I love the public aspect of MFP for accountability. And I'm more fired up than ever to do this for me, not for anyone else. Like you say, it's not about being skinny, it's about being healthy and I used to be far fitter than I am these days.

Thanks again everyone for all your support, it's really made a difference to today.
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    We are almost similar - well, I'm 5'2 and 133 currently. I want to be 125 and not much less because I want that to be muscle.

I have lots of family support and my husband doesn't care.

But I care. :)

hugs,
    tina
  • claramce
    claramce Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You can add me if you like. I could definitely use support aswell ! Getting back up on the horse to try this weightloss thing again ! I will do it this time :)
  • lilaak007
    lilaak007 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, we are the same height but i weigh more than you!!! I am at 143 pounds and started using myfitnesspal this week for the first time. My goal is pretty similar to yours and i would love to have you as a weight loss buddy :)