What's your favorite Fat Free Salad Dressing?

Options

Replies

• eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    i make one with 0% yogurt, Dijon, Red Wine Vinegar and, salt pepper and garlic. fat free until i add feta (most times i make it with a little feta or blue cheese)
    I don't buy dressing.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Life is too short for fat free salad dressing. And, incidentally, fat aids in absorption of vitamins and minerals found in vegetables,so some fat on your salad is beneficial. If not from the dressing, avocado would be a nice choice. If forced, I'd dress my salad with a twist of lemon and maybe some balsamic. But actually I'd never do that, so lemon, balsamic, and olive oil is the way I'd go. It would still be only about 40 calories, depending on the amount of olive oil.
    Actually, to keep us morbidly obese (as a culture) the FDA encourages food manufacturers to list zero calories if a serving is less than 5 calories.

I would like to meet the person who became morbidly obese by consuming food products labeled as zero calories but that actually contain fewer than 5 per serving. It would take a lot of Walden Farms to equal 100 extra pounds. Me, I became obese the old fashioned way: ice cream and chex mix.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Fair point. I didn't communicate my case well. I just meant that in the midst of an "obesity epidemic" the FDA should probably be working FOR us, not AGAINST us by encouraging food manufacturers to hide calories.

Example: "Zero calorie" spray butter. Five sprays = 0 calories, except it doesn't. There are .8 calories in 1 spray, 4 calories in 5 sprays with .085 grams of fat in each spray. The bottle has ~ 830 calories and ~ 90 grams of fat. If a person attempting to lose weight uses 1/2 bottle/week, they are getting about 415 uncharted calories. But that's just spray butter, what about Splenda, cooking spray, etc.?

Every day, someone on MFP asks why they are gaining/not losing weight and every day at least one person asks if the OP is weighing/measuring their food to get an accurate calorie count. If the calories are hidden, an accurate calorie count, no matter how scrupulously weighed/measured is going to be off. Sometimes way off depending upon the "calorie free" food eaten.
  • LindaFromNH
    LindaFromNH Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Light is good too :)
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Life is too short for fat free salad dressing. And, incidentally, fat aids in absorption of vitamins and minerals found in vegetables,so some fat on your salad is beneficial. If not from the dressing, avocado would be a nice choice. If forced, I'd dress my salad with a twist of lemon and maybe some balsamic. But actually I'd never do that, so lemon, balsamic, and olive oil is the way I'd go. It would still be only about 40 calories, depending on the amount of olive oil.
    Actually, to keep us morbidly obese (as a culture) the FDA encourages food manufacturers to list zero calories if a serving is less than 5 calories.

I would like to meet the person who became morbidly obese by consuming food products labeled as zero calories but that actually contain fewer than 5 per serving. It would take a lot of Walden Farms to equal 100 extra pounds. Me, I became obese the old fashioned way: ice cream and chex mix.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Fair point. I didn't communicate my case well. I just meant that in the midst of an "obesity epidemic" the FDA should probably be working FOR us, not AGAINST us by encouraging food manufacturers to hide calories.

Example: "Zero calorie" spray butter. Five sprays = 0 calories, except it doesn't. There are .8 calories in 1 spray, 4 calories in 5 sprays with .085 grams of fat in each spray. The bottle has ~ 830 calories and ~ 90 grams of fat. If a person attempting to lose weight uses 1/2 bottle/week, they are getting about 415 uncharted calories. But that's just spray butter, what about Splenda, cooking spray, etc.?

Every day, someone on MFP asks why they are gaining/not losing weight and every day at least one person asks if the OP is weighing/measuring their food to get an accurate calorie count. If the calories are hidden, an accurate calorie count, no matter how scrupulously weighed/measured is going to be off. Sometimes way off depending upon the "calorie free" food eaten.

Fair enough. Labeling has so many loop-holes (foods labeled calorie or trans fat free that are NOT) that the best solution?

Avoid most things with labels :)
  • LindaFromNH
    LindaFromNH Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thank you to those that actually answered my question :)
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    None of them. I think they all taste like crap. Just use less of the real deal.

There are full-fat dressings that aren't super high in calories--Kraft's olive oil Greek vinegerette is 60 calories for 2 Tb.
  • adipace815
    adipace815 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Wishbone Fat Free Italian and Wishbone Fat Free Blue Cheese
  • gmoneycole
    gmoneycole Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Italian.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I like to use lemon juice or lime juice.

Salsa also makes a great dressing.
  • ackman2002
    ackman2002 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Maple Grove Farms of Vermont - Sugar Free Rasberry Vinaigrette Salad Dressing. I have only been able to find this at my local Bi-Los and it is not only fat free but sugar free (uses splenda).

Maple Grove makes a good Fat Free Caesar too...a little bit spicy though. I think it's the pepper.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Fat free dressing is actually a less healthy choice for you. The vitamins present in salad greens and many other vegetables are fat soluble and you need to eat them with a bit of fat to effectively absorb the nutrients. It doesn't take a lot of fat to get the job done, so maybe try a small amount of olive oil and vinegar or a vinaigrette you like.

Here's an article about the downfalls of fat free dressing: https://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/research/2012/120619FerruzziSalad.html
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    red wine vinaigrette
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    The FF Honey Mustard dressing from Chick Fil A goes excellent with their Market Salad, yum!
  • Holly_penguin
    Holly_penguin Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    The ginger dressing available in the refriderated product section is awesome and very very low in calories and fat. Just like the dressing you get at Japanese steakhouses. Yummy.
  • kyregi
    kyregi Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hidden Valley Farmhouse Originals - Pomegranate Vinaigrette

It is not Fat Free, but much lower in sodium than most other store bought dressings (only 100mg per 2TBSP). And I think it is very yummy
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I found out that dressings in the refrigerated section of the produce department are the best tasting and not have that awful after taste of horribly nasty bottled dressing you get in the aisle.

Lighthouse Poppyseed so far is my favorite! Check out the Lighthouse brands located in the produce section. they also dont have all kinds of chemical ingredients.

i had to throw out the two diet dressings i bought in the salad dressing aisle., they were awful.
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options

something about spraying butter on food or spraying salad dressing on salads does not seem quite right.. its as if I am spraying sun tanning stuff on my food... I cant explain it but, its sorta unappetizing to me.
  • cnlargent
    cnlargent Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Full flavor, and as little as needed to distribute the flavor throughout. That being said, I do like balsamic vinaigrette and thousand island.
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Fresh lemon or red wine vinegar with a drop of olive oil.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Fat is good for you. Why not have a serving size of your favorite dressing? No need to go fat free.