Why are so many people telling me not to lose more weight

Options
I have been on my Weight loss journey since May 2013. I have dropped from 317 last May to 235 as of yesterday. A lot of people have commented on my weight loss, but a lot of them follow with, your not going to lose more are you? I know I look way better than I did when I started, but I probably need to lose another 40-60 lbs before I would be considered a "healthy weight". I feel great, but shouldn't I be striving to get to what is considered medically healthy?

Replies

• mialsya
    mialsya Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Don't let the opinions and judgments of others dictate what you do or how you feel. You are right, you still have a ways to go to get to healthy range. However, having lost so much already, those close to you may be looking at the visual change and not the numbers in the situation. It can be shocking for some people to see others after a 100-or-so pound weight loss. I know when I decided to lose weight the first time and lost 60lbs, my close friends and family members were afraid I was obsessing over the numbers and was going to develop an eating disorder. As misdirected as their concern was, it still let me know they cared about my well being.
  • andreyadonna
    Options
    You should be striving to be healthy and comfortable with yourself. I'm trying to go from 250 to 150, technically I should probably shoot closer to 140, but I feel like 140 would be too low for me. If 40-60lbs more is what you want to lose to be healthy and comfortable, forget what they are saying. They are probably just poorly worded compliments. What they mean to say is "You've made such amazing progress! What are your final goals?" but it's shocking to see someone lose weight, especially if they are overweight themselves, you remind them of what they aren't doing. Take those comments with a grain of salt. Keep doing what you are doing.
  • Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    they are probably just jealous. and you probably dont look what you weigh. it depends on how its spread out. if i tell anyone my weight, they are always surprised, and say things like "you carry it well"
    ignore it all. what your goal weight should be is a decision for you and your dr, and nobody else.
  • ldula88
    ldula88 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I hear the same thing from my family and friends. I tell them I have 10-15 more pounds to go until my goal weight, and they look at me like I grew an extra head, even though my final goal falls in the middle of the healthy weight range for my height. :P As long as your goal weight falls within a healthy range for your height, don't worry about what everyone else says. If you feel you have to justify yourself, you can simply tell them a doctor suggested a healthy weight range for you that you are trying to fall within. Congrats on your progress so far!!!!!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of times people just aren't used to how you look now and get concerned without merit. I had a friend who lost about 40 pounds and was at a healthy weight. I never said anything to him but for awhile there I really did think he looked a little too thin and sickly but it was because I was used to seeing him so much chubbier. After I got used to how he looked I realized he was just fine. Ignore them, do your thing and just understand it may take them awhile to get used to the new you.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Forget the haters, get to a healthy weight and make 'em jealous!
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Ignore them. All of my coworkers told me the same thing. Every week someone would tell me not lose anymore and I kept losing and looking better and better. They are jealous. Unless you are genuinely getting underweight then I wouldn't worry.
  • zoquo
    zoquo Posts: 75
    Options
    BMI can be very misleading. Don't follow that look at our body fat% instead for an accurate guide. According to BMI I am overweight yet my stomach is completely flat and I have visible hip bones! Clearly I am NOT overweight. Go to your gym and get your % fat instead. Much more accurate! If I was to follow the BMI scale then I would be boney all over and look underweight!
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    sometimes it is indeed jealousy...but sometimes it is genuine concern for your health. You look different, you're probably acting different, change is a little scary for many people. They really are concerned for you...you don't look like "yourself" any more to them. About all you can do is reassure them that you are healthy, and losing in a healthy way, and thank them for their concern....and then let them have some time to get used to the new you. And congrats on how you are doing! Very awesome!!!
  • freemystery
    freemystery Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I think sometimes people's ideas of what it normal or healthy can be skewed if they're surrounded with bigger people. I am above the healthy weight range but because at work people are on the larger side they can't understand the "smallest person in the office" trying to lose weight. And sure, when you say it like that it comes across a bit worrying or unhealthy.

Context is everything. If you know what you want and what is going to be healthy for you, don't be derailed by others. They may be well meaning but only you know what's working for you.