Easy lunch ideas to take to work that don't have bread?

Options
Hi All,

I am finding it really hard to find things to take to work for lunch that do not involve bread. I need things to take that are simple to throw together using the kitchen at work. The kind of things I usually have are salads (lettuces, cucumber, tomatoes and peppers) with some leftover chicken or beef. At the moment I have been having bio yogurt with a little maple syrup and some muesli or granola sprinkled on top.

The problem I am having is I get sooo bored of having the same thing day in day out so I need some variety, otherwise I'll just give in when the sandwich van turns up at the office!! I usually buy something to make for the whole week.

I usually try to keep lunches under 300 calories.

Replies

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    300 calories? Mega small....
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I often make a big batch of lentil and vegetable soup on Sundays to bring to work for lunches. Chili also reheats well. You could also bring stir frys and curries.
  • TashTag
    TashTag Posts: 109
    Options
    I try to deconstruct the sandwhich. So ham cheese and cucumber. Add lettuce and make a salad, or replace with thin crackers.
    I found it really hard too because I love bread but in the end the best way to cut out bread is to physically leave it out. LOL. I feel your pain.
  • winyin
    winyin Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Does the work place have a microwave? If so you can take just about anythng if you cook it ahead then just warm it up. I don't eat bread unless I'm dinning out and even then not much. I take roast beef, chicken, pork, and Taco Soup (which I really love). I don't cook every day. When I start running low on food I take a weekend day and do major cooking. Use the crockpot, over and Stove. Then I portion it up and freeze it for meals later. Works well for me but I am also single and don't have to worry about feeding anyone else, but you can still do the same for your lunches.
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I really like this bread, it's only 40 calories a slice - http://www.naturesownbread.com/products/ReducedCalorieBreads/40CalorieWheatBread/

Other ideas are:

Yogurt - I get Dannon Light & Fit Greek 2X protein that's only 80 calories.
    Carrot sticks with hummus
    Light crackers with Peanut butter (I keep crackers and PB in my desk at work. Helps if I forget lunch!)
  • HealthyEscape
    Options
    I like to make tuna or chicken salad and instead of eating on bread, I use carrots, celery, and/or cucumber to scoop it up. Very yummy and extra veggies is always good!
  • Jesea
    Jesea Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I try to make enough dinner to feed my family, with one serving left over, that way I can freeze one for work days. I get a lot of variety that way, and I don't have to think about it if I don't have time for a salad.
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I heat up about a half cup of lentil/rice mixture and add it to a huge salad. I use shredded cabbage instead of lettuce and add either ground cooked turkey, or a serving of soft tofu. I eat this with green leaf lettuce like tacos.

Another suggestion is having a sweet potato with your salad.

Lentils with cooked sliced baby potatoes and oil and vinegar dressing. Really good.

Extra thin corn tortillas as wraps for salad. Add some guacamole.
  • GBO323
    GBO323 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Soup, salad, low carb options. Grilled veggies are filling. Cook your meat/veggies the night before and enjoy the salad dressing. :)
  • AnikaP81
    AnikaP81 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese, canned beans, greek yogurt and fruit (i also put flax seed on mine), raw vegetables and hummus... I' sure I could come up with more, but that's just at the top of my head.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    A microwave will greatly expand your options with everything from a baked potato to a teriyaki chicken bowl. You can think of absolutely anything you like and you can find a way to make or reheat it in the microwave.

A 300-calorie lunch is not heavy so your options include most snacks as well, like celery and peanut butter or a few slices of cheese with grapes or an apple. Protein shakes and bars are good go-tos for these situations as well, if you find the right one (not too much sugar, filling, tasty, natural, etc.)
  • cchew686
    cchew686 Posts: 108
    Options
    I like to make tuna or chicken salad and instead of eating on bread, I use carrots, celery, and/or cucumber to scoop it up. Very yummy and extra veggies is always good!

I like that idea a lot. I don't usually care for raw veggies, but adding tuna or chicken salad is an awesome idea. Thanks!

As for the question, I like to make slowcooker recipes, chicken or beef stir frys, and chili as well. My mother replaces her bread with leaf lettuce...but I can't quite get into that one.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options

As for the question, I like to make slowcooker recipes, chicken or beef stir frys, and chili as well. My mother replaces her bread with leaf lettuce...but I can't quite get into that one.

Make enough for leftovers for lunch the next day or skip a day if you don't want the same 2x in a row. Just think of your Mum's lunch as North American version of sushi - use the leaves for roll-ups - also works well if you don't have quite enough leftover from last night - roll it into the leaves
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    soup and an apple?
  • Cazzerrr_xo
    Cazzerrr_xo Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I don't like soup much - I find it really boring. I think it's just the fact that it's a liquid.

We do have a microwave & a toaster. I want to keep my breakfast & lunches lower in cals so that then my dinner's aren't so limited as I have to cook for me and my partner and he's going to get bored of cod steaks or fishcake salad every day!!
  • ChampCrucial
    ChampCrucial Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    1.Favorite or leftover meat wrapped in lettuce with a slice of cheese.
    2.Oatmeal with a bottle of low fat or skim milk
    3.Special K bar and yogurt
    4.Protein Shake
    5. Self made trail mix
  • Harrisonsauntie2005
    Harrisonsauntie2005 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    My go to lunch is a bell pepper, hummus and prepacked chicken breast peices
  • krennie8
    krennie8 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I made a pretty decent ham/shrimp/egg "fried" rice. Lots of veggies, some soy sauce, siracha, and housin sauce along w/brown rice (just boiled in water) and each serving was around 350. You could always leave out the rice though and add a side-salad instead to save a few calories. I generally just use vinegar, salt & pepper. And if straight vinegar is too potent for you, just water it down.

Ham & Lentil stew is also very good. Trust me I'm not big on having soup for lunch either b/c I don't feel like it fills me up, but this is super filling, super-low cal, and delicious. Add some veggies as a side.

Also a chicken/veggie couscous is easy and about 400 calories for a good sized serving. I've eaten half a serving plus salads/steamed veggies for meals and feel full after.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I have a great turkey meatloaf recipe; if you want it send me a PM.

Another suggestion is to make an egg casserole. I use egg whites, a couple of whole eggs, and throw in what I have on hand - frozen veggies, chicken sausage, cheese, etc. Combine, put into a glass casserole dish, bake, cut into the desired number of pieces. You can control the calorie amount really easily, too.
  • pizzajoy
    pizzajoy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I enjoy wasa's thin and crispy flatbread, so much tastier than their original crackers. 2 crackers are just 70 calories. Perfect for delivering hummus / avocado / et al into your mouth!