Single Moms

Options
Hi, my name is Holly. I'm the single mom of two beautiful kids and my biggest problem is finding time to work out. I've got better at finding healthy meals we will all eat l but the workout part is getting more difficult the older they get :( they are two and three....any advice?

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    After bedtime is a decent time. Might just have to go with bodyweight exercises until they're a bit older. Walking around with them is good too.
  • smkean
    smkean Posts: 132
    Options
    I'm a mum of 1.

I do it in lunch hour at work, after kiddie bedtime, sometimes I get a babysitter, then try and squeeze a walk in on the weekend
  • gagnon9691
    gagnon9691 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    DVD's, youtube or something like that you can do when the kids are asleep or playing. You could also look into finding a gym with a daycare.
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I'm not a single mom but after work is the best time for me to work out. My 2.5yo DS actually enjoys watching me exercise ...he usually has his toys or ipad handy in case he gets bored. I go home workout DVDs so it's convenient.

When he was younger and had an earlier bedtime, I worked out when he was asleep. Now it's anytime since he doesn't mind cheering me on. Of course he loves stretching with me. :)
  • kagevf
    kagevf Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I get my workouts out of the way first thing while they are still asleep. a good 5-10min works for me
  • amethyst7986
    amethyst7986 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I say involve them in your workouts, a trip to the park can mean chasing after them for cardio or I like to race my 4 yo nephew and 12 yo daughter up the hills at our park. I don't know if you have access to a Xbox Kinect or Wii-- there are lots of kid friendly games for both parents and kids like Wipeout, there's lots of jumping and moving it in. I also have an 8 month old niece that I take walking in the jogging stroller, if you look on line there are exercises to do with the strollers too.
  • statickey
    statickey Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Do you have a local YMCA? Or gym that provides daycare? My gym provides a scholarship program when they base your monthly payment off how much you make, so if you qualify, you could get a large discount. They take into account how many kids you have as well. It's an awesome program that allows everyone an opportunity to be a member and Im a single mom as well so I know she's taken care of while I get my work out in.
  • Julieanne611
    Options
    I started working out when my son was about 4. I would always try to set him up with a few activities before I got started. I still had to stop what I was doing every now and then to tend to him, but I usually made it through. Also, I used to do several 10-minute workouts per day, as opposed to one longer workout. Whatever you can squeeze in is all to the good. Hope that helps.
  • mlanders22
    mlanders22 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I got a simple exercise bike on Amazon (for less than two months worth of my old gym membership) and ride after my little goes to bed. Once the snow melts I'm planning on spending lots of time outside with her as well.
  • Bounce4
    Bounce4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Two and three are the hardest ages to work out with IMO. It will get easier as they get older.

I'm a single mom, working at least 45 hours a week, and have four kids. Youngest turning 8yo so that makes it easier but my days are packed. I sacrifice sleep and get up and do a 30 minute workout before the day starts. There is no other way for me.